Orioles Hang On To Win A 4+ Hour Marathon

cboemmeljr

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Tyler Wells was the difference in this game. If he doesn't come in and snuff out that Tanner Scott induced rally with the two big strikeouts to keep it 4-4, I'm not sure we win this game. Scottt and Fry were awful last night. Something to watch with the lack of tacky stuff.

Was he a breath of fresh air or what?  I know Palmer talks about him being a starter, but he's having success as a reliever, and he's not a 21 year old kid (though he looks like he is); he's 26 having success in the Majors - why not keep him in that role - considering he's only once thrown over 92 innings in a season?  

21 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Was he a breath of fresh air or what?  I know Palmer talks about him being a starter, but he's having success as a reliever, and he's not a 21 year old kid (though he looks like he is); he's 26 having success in the Majors - why not keep him in that role - considering he's only once thrown over 92 innings in a season?  

Because he has more value as a starter and he's got a starter's repertoire. What we don't know is does his stuff hold up the 50-75 or 75-100 pitch marks? 

I wouldn't mind finding out in the second half of the year, especially on a team that is going no where.

If they find out he can't hold up, then they can focus him as a reliever in 2022, but I'm betting he's in the rotation next year.

Let's look at him in comparison to a guys like Kremer, Zimmermann, Akin and even Ace John Means
                       Zone contact%                Chase%           Whiff%        Meatball%      WOBA   XWOBA              
Wells                     72.7%                          31.9                  31.5               6.4               .284       .311
Kremer                  86.7%                         20.4                 20.8                8.2               .385       .372
Akin                       79.6%                         26.4                 23.1                 7.1               .363       .349
Zimmermann        88.1%                          28.1                  26.8                7.0               .356       .377
Means                   72.0%                         27.8                  28.9               7.8                .248       .303

Although he has pitched in relief vs starting for the others, he gets hit the least amount in the zone, gets the most chase, best whiff, least amount of meatballs, and only John Means beats him in WOBA and expected OBA (XOBA) with Wells being very close to Means' .303.

Wells zone contact % is best on the entire team, his chase % is second to Cesar Valdez 34.9%, his whiff is 3rd behind Scott (42%) and Sulser (35.2%) and meatball % is second only to Tanner Scott (5.5%) but that's mainly because Scott throws strikes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Because he has more value as a starter and he's got a starter's repertoire. What we don't know is does his stuff hold up the 50-75 or 75-100 pitch marks? 

I wouldn't mind finding out in the second half of the year, especially on a team that is going no where.

If they find out he can't hold up, then they can focus him as a reliever in 2022, but I'm betting he's in the rotation next year.

Let's look at him in comparison to a guys like Kremer, Zimmermann, Akin and even Ace John Means
                       Zone contact%                Chase%           Whiff%        Meatball%      WOBA   XWOBA              
Wells                     72.7%                          31.9                  31.5               6.4               .284       .311
Kremer                  86.7%                         20.4                 20.8                8.2               .385       .372
Akin                       79.6%                         26.4                 23.1                 7.1               .363       .349
Zimmermann        88.1%                          28.1                  26.8                7.0               .356       .377
Means                   72.0%                         27.8                  28.9               7.8                .248       .303

Although he has pitched in relief vs starting for the others, he gets hit the least amount in the zone, gets the most chase, best whiff, least amount of meatballs, and only John Means beats him in WOBA and expected OBA (XOBA) with Wells being very close to Means' .303.

Wells zone contact % is best on the entire team, his chase % is second to Cesar Valdez 34.9%, his whiff is 3rd behind Scott (42%) and Sulser (35.2%) and meatball % is second only to Tanner Scott (5.5%) but that's mainly because Scott throws strikes.

Good info Tony.  I don't disagree - just wonder if - at age 26 - it's realistic to build up to that 100 pitch mark.  Does his excellent size help his chances - as far as being durable?