Why is Mullins sitting?

HowAboutThat

10 minutes ago, billw76 said:

You can't even give a guy a day off without some people getting upset. I think Mullins has more than earned a day off.

He had 2 hits and 2 RBI on a half day and people are still complaining.  I would be different if the O's were making a push for the playoffs.  The only thing the O's are competing for is the #1 pick. 

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Another Phillip thread disagreeing with the managers decision.

Sundays are usually a day where the first stringers get a day off.  Hardly every team trots out their best lineup on a Sunday.  

Some guys get a day off, that's just how it is.  I don't really see an issue here.  Yeah, Mullins is having a fantastic season but let's keep in mind he's never played a full one at the major league level.  He can get a break every so often...not every good player we have has to start chasing 2,632.  

Moose moose moose, yes I disagree with the manager frequently, and I often withdraw my disagreement after discussion and consideration, but the reason I disagree with him is there’s lots to disagree with.
you can break evaluations of his decision down into logical, illogical, and wtf categories. Or perhaps, into Typical, atypical and instinctive. And whether an individual decision succeeds or not has nothing to do with the category(And bear in mind that as a musician, I am highly in favor of instinctive decisions, that is, those that go against established practice, but those are the ones that make or break a manager.)

Yes I appreciate that Mullins has played almost all the games, even the ones he did not start. But that’s just the way it goes. You play your best player unless he goes into a prolonged slump or something similar. And why is Hyde playing the hobbling Santander, who DOES need some rest so he can heal, and who is not playing well? Santander did rest yesterday but has been playing regularly despite being in that limbo between fully healthy and Injured list. The two decisions are contradictory.

Also today is a day off anyway, and as we have seen, bringing Mullins into the game almost got us the win. I like McKenna a lot, and I’m happy to see him playing, but I would never choose to put Stewart in the outfield over Mullins.

Strangest complaint I've seen in a while. The manager has to be trusted to know when his best players need a day off and giving them one before a scheduled off day seems the most logical and one I've heard numerous announcers through the years point out as the favorite time for such a decision. Mullins has never been a star before, even in the minors, so I'm guessing he's not played this many games this early very often. There is no reason to take a chance on pushing him too hard, with the possible exception of a pennant race late in the season.

• Upvote 1

Mullins had gone 0 for 9 in his prior two games, so maybe Hyde thought he needed a breather.   The O’s did just finish a stretch where they played 20 days in a row in five different cities.   

To answer a question Philip asked, Mullins has started 79 of 84 games, and has come off the bench in 4.    

2 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Strangest complaint I've seen in a while. The manager has to be trusted to know when his best players need a day off

Well I have said often that Hyde Doesn’t even know when to pull his starters, leaving them in too long and I pointed out that he kept playing Santander even when he was obviously affected by his injury, and sat Mullins when he’s our best player.

So although your comment should be true, it doesn’t seem to be.

I definitely stand by what I said in both instances. Hyde doesn’t manage his players well.

23 hours ago, Philip said:

He has been in 83 of 85 games, though I don’t know how many games he started. I guess the days of a guy playing 160 are over.

It's beginning to dawn on me that you haven't watched a tremendous amount of baseball.

11 hours ago, Philip said:

Well I have said often that Hyde Doesn’t even know when to pull his starters, leaving them in too long and I pointed out that he kept playing Santander even when he was obviously affected by his injury, and sat Mullins when he’s our best player.

So although your comment should be true, it doesn’t seem to be.

I definitely stand by what I said in both instances. Hyde doesn’t manage his players well.

While I can debate with you Hyde’s handing of the pitchers or Santander, your criticism of sitting Mullins just seems silly.   The guy is on pace to start 152 games and play in 160.   If Hyde judges that he will get more out of Mullins over a long season by giving him a day out of the starting lineup once every 2-3 weeks to rest up, I’m fine with that.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

While I can debate with you Hyde’s handing of the pitchers or Santander, your criticism of sitting Mullins just seems silly.   The guy is on pace to start 152 games and play in 160.   If Hyde judges that he will get more out of Mullins over a long season by giving him a day out of the starting lineup once every 2-3 weeks to rest up, I’m fine with that.   

Yes I understand that logic, and I don’t really disagree with it, but we can all think of lots of guys who played 161 or 162, and it didn’t kill them,. I think he’s too valuable to let sit, although I could see moving him to a corner now and then so he doesn’t have as much ground to cover, or letting him DH. But as I’ve pointed out, sitting him for no reason other than a day off, while playing Santander even though he is hobbled, is a contradiction Without reason.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes I understand that logic, and I don’t really disagree with it, but we can all think of lots of guys who played 161 or 162, and it didn’t kill them,. I think he’s too valuable to let sit, although I could see moving him to a corner now and then so he doesn’t have as much ground to cover, or letting him DH. But as I’ve pointed out, sitting him for no reason other than a day off, while playing Santander even though he is hobbled, is a contradiction Without reason.

Santander has sat three times in the last 12 games, so I hardly see any inconsistency there.