O's End First Half With A Loss

cboemmeljr

Listening to the Kevin Brown call on Mancini's two-out game tying homer was worth the rest of the game. Great excitement in that call for an exciting moment.

Too bad the pen was so bad once again. Really need to make some adjustments out there in the second half.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Listening to the Kevin Brown call on Mancini's two-out game tying homer was worth the rest of the game. Great excitement in that call for an exciting moment.

Too bad the pen was so bad once again. Really need to make some adjustments out there in the second half.

I don't really understand why Watkins was removed at 80-some pitches at 4.1 IP. Fry got the outs, but that's the kind of move you make when you're confident that your bullpen can secure a (at the time) 2-1 lead. The next batter would have been the top of the order 3rd time through, but... why are we protecting Watkins there with a tiny lead? One of the only moves Hyde has made this year that I couldn't really figure out. 

Not that it matters! But still. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't really understand why Watkins was removed at 80-some pitches at 4.1 IP. Fry got the outs, but that's the kind of move you make when you're confident that your bullpen can secure a (at the time) 2-1 lead. The next batter would have been the top of the order 3rd time through, but... why are we protecting Watkins there with a tiny lead? One of the only moves Hyde has made this year that I couldn't really figure out. 

Not that it matters! But still. 

I think that's what he was thinking, plus he had a full bullpen that needed some work before the 4-day break.

The 10th inning mound visit and positional adjustments may have taken Wells out of his zone. Sometime I think managers over think things too much. But, at the end of the day, Wells is the one that got behind 3-1 and grooved one for Engle.

It would have been nice to have gotten one after going 0-for-140 pitches in the middle of a game, but alas, these are the Orioles and expecting much from this crew is a recipe for disappointment.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I think that's what he was thinking, plus he had a full bullpen that needed some work before the 4-day break.

The 10th inning mound visit and positional adjustments may have taken Wells out of his zone. Sometime I think managers over think things too much. But, at the end of the day, Wells is the one that got behind 3-1 and grooved one for Engle.

It would have been nice to have gotten one after going 0-for-140 pitches in the middle of a game, but alas, these are the Orioles and expecting much from this crew is a recipe for disappointment.

I 100% absolutely was thinking this when it happened. It totally killed Wells' flow out there IMO.