People are always picking on Pedro Severino, but…

Frobby

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Severino is getting non-tendered this offseason and it should be the last we ever see of him as an Oriole. 

I know that it is going to happen in November or December, but I would love for it to happen in July or August, or May, for that matter.

On 7/15/2021 at 4:46 PM, scOtt said:

Yes, Means has been great, and the rest pretty much zero.

Pedro brings more (not much at all but more...) on offense. He might get a hit , drive in a run to make the difference in a close game.

He needs a damn glove that's BROKEN IN tho! SOMETHING! I can't remember a catcher dropping so many balls that hit him right in the pocket!

But that catch of the extremely high foul pop on Soto the other day/night? with Franco standing there watching was amazing - and he tossed the ball to Franco and smiled his way off the field.  Amazing!!!

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, bobmc said:

But that catch of the extremely high foul pop on Soto the other day/night? with Franco standing there watching was amazing - and he tossed the ball to Franco and smiled his way off the field.  Amazing!!!

If we're talking about the same play, it epitomizes the Orioles lack of basic fundamentals. The infielder should have called him off that ball 100% of the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Philip said:

I know that it is going to happen in November or December, but I would love for it to happen in July or August, or May, for that matter.

Agree on that, but I think budgetary considerations are stopping that from happening. Severino is still going to collect his salary and the Orioles would have to pay another catcher at least the rookie minimum pro-rated.  

18 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

If we're talking about the same play, it epitomizes the Orioles lack of basic fundamentals. The infielder should have called him off that ball 100% of the time.

For sure, that is what I was thinking, but they play he made looking up into the night, finding the ball running to it and actually holding it was astounding - and Franco just standing where the ball was the whole time.

On 7/26/2021 at 10:42 AM, Aristotelian said:

Do we have any idea how his numbers split when catching in college?

Baseball Reference has his games split between C and 1B in 2017, 2018, and 2019.  But they and the Pac-12 don't break up the hitting.  I did find this game interesting as it faced off against Stanford and Stowers/Handley/Daschbach.  https://stats.pac-12.com/sports/bsb/2018-19/boxscores/20190517_i1g0.xml

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

From your computer keyboard to Mike Elias’ eyes. 

He reads OH, right?

lol, I'm hoping Elias doesn't need to hear from the fans to know what to do with Severino next year with Adley Rutschman just over the horizon. 

I agree with Frobby that there is an intern or two assigned to read OH and other relevant Orioles social media.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

lol, I'm hoping Elias doesn't need to hear from the fans to know what to do with Severino next year with Adley Rutschman just over the horizon. 

I agree with Frobby that there is an intern or two assigned to read OH and other relevant Orioles social media.

I doubt OH is a very big source of information for the Orioles brass.  But at the same time, I’m sure it gets read by some folks there.