Orioles trade discussion thread

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm going to imagine that Elias is waiting until the last minute so people can improve their offers. If will be a disappointment if he doesn't end up making any moves, but without knowing what's being offered, it's hard to say whether he was right or wrong.

I don't know, the only player it really makes sense to trade is Mancini and I would not call it disappointing if we keep him another year. I won't be upset if we stay with what we've got. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm going to imagine that Elias is waiting until the last minute so people can improve their offers. If will be a disappointment if he doesn't end up making any moves, but without knowing what's being offered, it's hard to say whether he was right or wrong.

I almost always agree with this.  This year I don't.

Don't get me wrong, if the offers are good enough, I think they should trade anyone and citing Mancini's leadership is weak sauce to me.

That being said, the pieces they do have to trade, other than Mancini, could help the team long term.   I don't think adding more Kevin Smith type prospects really does anything for us.  It would be fine if they did but it doesn't move the needle.

Trey is the one exception but I am not giving him away.  Its quite possible he fetches more in the offseason, as people see him for a full season and more teams interested.

6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Who is it that you think they absolutely have to move no matter the offer?

I don't think any player is a must trade, but this year's trade deadline seems to be more of a sellers market. So it would be nice to see the Orioles make a trade or two with any of their valuable trade chips. 

I trust Elias is going to make the best decisions for the future, so I have to trust in the process for now. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't think any player is a must trade, but this year's trade deadline seems to be more of a sellers market. So it would be nice to see the Orioles make a trade or two with any of their valuable trade chips. 

I trust Elias is going to make the best decisions for the future, so I have to trust in the process for now. 

This isn't actually true. First of all, especially with the extra WC spot, its always a sellers market at the deadline because more teams think the have a chance.

Secondly, there are more teams tanking. W hen there are more teams doing that, there are more options.  If you can get 80% of Fry's performance for 50% of the price, you likely will do that.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I almost always agree with this.  This year I don't.

Don't get me wrong, if the offers are good enough, I think they should trade anyone and citing Mancini's leadership is weak sauce to me.

That being said, the pieces they do have to trade, other than Mancini, could help the team long term.   I don't think adding more Kevin Smith type prospects really does anything for us.  It would be fine if they did but it doesn't move the needle.

Trey is the one exception but I am not giving him away.  Its quite possible he fetches more in the offseason, as people see him for a full season and more teams interested.

I'm not quite sure what you disagree with in my statement. I never mentioned Mancini, I just said if he moves no one it will be disappointing, but unless I know what was offered I can't say he was right or wrong.

Besides someone like Galvis (little to no value because of injuries) or Franco (who has zero value), Fry, Scott, Means or Mancini don't need to be moved yet. I'd like to think he could get something of value for the future for one or two of them, but again, unless i know what's being offered, i can't say that Elias was wrong for not moving them at the deadline.

As you stated, this offseason is another trading time and perhaps they will have more value then?  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not quite sure what you disagree with in my statement. I never mentioned Mancini, I just said if he moves no one it will be disappointing, but unless I know what was offered I can't say he was right or wrong.

Besides someone like Galvis (little to no value because of injuries) or Franco (who has zero value), Fry, Scott, Means or Mancini don't need to be moved yet. I'd like to think he could get something of value for the future for one or two of them, but again, unless i know what's being offered, i can't say that Elias was wrong for not moving them at the deadline.

As you stated, this offseason is another trading time and perhaps they will have more value then?  

The way I look at it if Elias does not trade Fry, Scott or Means he has something for the future.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You said it will be a disappointment if he doesn't make any moves.   

That's where I have a disagreement.