Elias offseason

fitzi22

With this season down the toilet and after listening to the Elias interview, it got me wondering about the off-season.  Do you think Elias will be a real GM and make trades/participate in free agency to build the MLB team up in anticipation of Adley and Grayson or continue shopping in the discount section at the Goodwill?  

Elias needs to be careful because his interview was spreading something very dangerous called hope.  I personally hope he trades and signs real players this winter and we can look forward to a better team next year, but my gut tells me Elias isn’t ready to pull the trigger yet and was simply spreading hope to calm the negativity around this team in the short term.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, fitzi22 said:

With this season down the toilet and after listening to the Elias interview, it got me wondering about the off-season.  Do you think Elias will be a real GM and make trades/participate in free agency to build the MLB team up in anticipation of Adley and Grayson or continue shopping in the discount section at the Goodwill?  

Elias needs to be careful because his interview was spreading something very dangerous called hope.  I personally hope he trades and signs real players this winter and we can look forward to a better team next year, but my gut tells me Elias isn’t ready to pull the trigger yet and was simply spreading hope to calm the negativity around this team in the short term.

Nah..he said they are prepared to do it when the time is right.  He can easily say that time isn’t now.

It did seem like a shift in his verbiage. Nothing firm but I would not be surprised if we get someone a step up from Matt Harvey/Galvis. Seems like he is concerned about team morale and this level of losing can't go on forever. I am guessing not Ray but maybe a Descalifini or someone coming off an injury. I have suggested Josh Harrison for 3B.

3 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I’ll bite.  Besides Rutschman and Rodriguez, what assets do they have to trade to make the MLB product better?  Someone may want Mullins, but would the return outweigh his production in any meaningful way?

I do not see now being the time to trade assets for short term wins. That's a couple years from now if and when we are a 90 win team looking to be a 100 win team.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I’ll bite.  Besides Rutschman and Rodriguez, what assets do they have to trade to make the MLB product better?  Someone may want Mullins, but would the return outweigh his production in any meaningful way?

They have plenty to trade.  I’m not worried about that.  Now, whether or not you can land the best available guys is another question but they have an ample amount of upside guys to deal.

But it’s also why a guy like David Price makes sense.  He is still a solid guy and is only signed for one more year and he won’t take much to trade for.  You aren’t gutting your organization.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They have plenty to trade.  I’m not worried about that.  Now, whether or not you can land the best available guys is another question but they have an ample amount of upside guys to deal.

But it’s also why a guy like David Price makes sense.  He is still a solid guy and is only signed for one more year and he won’t take much to trade for.  You aren’t gutting your organization.

What would the Dodgers want/need from us for them to give us Price?  Who do we have that would make them better that they couldn’t just go out and get in FA? 

3 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

What would the Dodgers want/need from us for them to give us Price?  Who do we have that would make them better that they couldn’t just go out and get in FA? 

I don’t think it would be major leaguers.  It would be prospects.  And I’m not sure it has to be anyone that great.  Maybe a player or 2 ranked in the bottom part of the top 30 or so…something like that.  The Dodgers owe him 16M for next year.  It would be nice if we could get them to pick up a few million but it shouldn’t be necessary.  It’s a salary dump for them imo.  They have a lot of big time FA this year, so having that extra money (to avoid the luxury tax as much as possible) should be helpful to them.  I know they haven’t cared a lot about the luxury tax but still, I’m sure they would rather not have to pay it if they can avoid it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fitzi22 said:

More shopping in the bargain bin after it’s been sifted through all day. 

I would just forget about being any type of “good” in 2022. Even if the CBA changes, I don’t think we see AR or Grod until June 1. 2023 is the goal. None of the SP “prospects” stepped up this year when given MLB starts. I think we’re going to see a lot of turnover on the 40 man roster. Something like 10-15 spots. With how daunting 2022 is looking, Elias has to listen to trades on Mancini and the relievers that have value.  

We’re still a long ways away. We’re going to have the same players minus the stop gap vet signings. Elias will get the #1 pick in the 2022 draft, and likely a top 3 pick in the 2023 Draft. 

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think it would be major leaguers.  It would be prospects.  And I’m not sure it has to be anyone that great.  Maybe a player or 2 ranked in the bottom part of the top 30 or so…something like that.  The Dodgers owe him 16M for next year.  It would be nice if we could get them to pick up a few million but it shouldn’t be necessary.  It’s a salary dump for them imo.  They have a lot of big time FA this year, so having that extra money (to avoid the luxury tax as much as possible) should be helpful to them.  I know they haven’t cared a lot about the luxury tax but still, I’m sure they would rather not have to pay it if they can avoid it.

I’ve seen no indication that they are looking to shed salary.  Hell, they paid Cole Hamels $1M to not pitch for them while trading for Scherzer and Turner.  Their pitching has been plagued by injuries.  Price helps them win which they are trying to do.  Next year, May is out for a large chunk of the season and Scherzer could end up leaving.  I just don’t see them eager to get rid of Price for nothing.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I'm wondering if Price has a no-trade clause.  It doesn't that he does on Spotrac, but I'm not sure if they typically list that information or not.  I can easily see him having a no-trade clause and not waiving it to come here.

That said, there are still plenty of other options out there that Elias could go after to upgrade the current pitching situation, easily.  

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would just forget about being any type of “good” in 2022. Even if the CBA changes, I don’t think we see AR or Grod until June 1. 2023 is the goal. None of the SP “prospects” stepped up this year when given MLB starts. I think we’re going to see a lot of turnover on the 40 man roster. Something like 10-15 spots. With how daunting 2022 is looking, Elias has to listen to trades on Mancini and the relievers that have value.  

We’re still a long ways away. We’re going to have the same players minus the stop gap vet signings. Elias will get the #1 pick in the 2022 draft, and likely a top 3 pick in the 2023 Draft. 

If you aren't going to promote them until June 2023 you should just trade them now, otherwise you are wasting their prime years in the minors.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm wondering if Price has a no-trade clause.  It doesn't that he does on Spotrac, but I'm not sure if they typically list that information or not.  I can easily see him having a no-trade clause and not waiving it to come here.

That said, there are still plenty of other options out there that Elias could go after to upgrade the current pitching situation, easily.  

He does not have a no trade clause according to 2019 articles before he was traded.  Evidently they were close with Cincinnati on a deal.

30 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I’ve seen no indication that they are looking to shed salary.  Hell, they paid Cole Hamels $1M to not pitch for them while trading for Scherzer and Turner.  Their pitching has been plagued by injuries.  Price helps them win which they are trying to do.  Next year, May is out for a large chunk of the season and Scherzer could end up leaving.  I just don’t see them eager to get rid of Price for nothing.

They paid Hamels hoping he would pitch for them and then he got hurt.  There is a big difference. 

We’ll see.  They have had these injuries and yet they are still having him in the pen for the most part.  Even the Dodgers, with all their money, will likely not want that.