100% of the shots you don't take

Daddy-O's

4 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Pitchers go through off-season training to increase fastball velocity. Sometimes they do gain velocity between seasons. That doesn't mean that the training program is responsible for the velocity gain; maybe it happened for other reasons. There appear to be quite a few baseball insiders, however, who believe this kind of training can be effective.

Can position players with weak throwing arms --OFers like Mullins or IFers like Mountcastle when he played 3B or like Jones. apparently -- undergo the same or similar training programs to increase the velocity and distance (which is primarily a function of velocity and trajectory) of their throws? Are there reasons that this sort of training can't work for or is problematic for position players, like the possibility of interfering with their batting strokes? Do some position players do this stuff, and I've just not heard about it?

I've asked this question before, but never seen an answer.

I think it’s a fascinating question, and I’m sure that increasing arm strength has been part of player training as long as there have been players and training, and I personally think that strength is easier to develop than accuracy, but frankly if Mullins never gets any better, he’ll still be a terrific player.