Yet Again...

RFisthaMan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought Texas did a few years ago against USC in 05. Miami in 01. USC in 03.

Only USC's was shared.

That was before the advent of the BCS Championship game.

The BCS is now 5 bowls; not 4.

At that time, the BCS Bowls rotated which one was the designated title game.

One other point I would like to make -- since he's been here, Friedgen has had Maryland in contention to win the ACC more times than not.

2001 -- Won it

2002 -- In contention

2003 -- In contention

2004 -- Also ran

2005 -- Also ran

2006 -- In contention

2007 -- Also ran

2008 -- In contention

That's pretty good, all things considered, IMO. Frankly, I am pleased with my team being in contention more often than not, particularly since college football is becoming more and more volatile every year. Teams that were once great are no longer (e.g. Notre Dame, Nebraska, aforementioned Tennessee, Texas A&M, and Auburn). Some teams that were great fell and have risen back (Penn State, FSU, and Alabama come to mind). Heck -- a lot of people were ready to pull the plug on Joe Pa about 2-3 years ago...but I think most would argue they've rebounded rather nicely.

Now, does this mean that Fridge should get a free pass? Definitely not. I agree that if Fridge believes that he can no longer reach his players (which he hinted at a few times this year) then it is time for him to move on. However, I think it is easy to get caught up at looking at the big prize and feeling that falling short is inherently a failure.

Fridge had Maryland in contention for the ACC championship until the last week of the season. In any other sport, that would be considered a successful season.

You almost had me until you felt the need to go down the temper-tantrum route. That was the height of maturity...good work.

Well - actually that was more a reference for the "F Maryland" comment by an earlier poster. Kind of mixing two reactions together. Not intended for you, per se.

Otherwise, I will have to agree to disagree with you. I happen to enjoy watching and following the Terps. High and low. Your radar is, apparently, very narrow... because you are only concerned with the end result of a national championship. I'm not saying that wouldn't be nice to follow... but, in the end, like most people I only have time to watch a game or two a weekend... I happen to watch the Terps. They are a program that does matter... perhaps not to the degree of USC or Florida... but then again 90% of teams don't fit in that category... actually probably less than that. The next 8% are bordering that elite status... and then there is a chunk that has some great players and can play well. Maryland, right now, falls in the later half. There was a time that they fit into the next level up from that... the first 3 years of Ralph.

Look... you can think they suck... but for most MD fans, at this point, we're rooting for a victory weekend so we can get a shot at watching Maryland play another team of some stature. It's novel. It's fun. It's college football.

You and I may be different in the fact that I'm not going to ignore a team that isn't the best of the best. I'm not going to only watch the Yankees or Red Sox in baseball. I'm going to choose to watch the skins over only watching the Patriots.

Of course there are times I get frustrated with Fridge... especially with his relatively weak excuses... and there are times I'd like to see him leave. But in no way do agree with you that Maryland is some blip that just doesn't matter.

That was before the advent of the BCS Championship game.

The BCS is now 5 bowls; not 4.

At that time, the BCS Bowls rotated which one was the designated title game.

One other point I would like to make -- since he's been here, Friedgen has had Maryland in contention to win the ACC more times than not.

2001 -- Won it

2002 -- In contention

2003 -- In contention

2004 -- Also ran

2005 -- Also ran

2006 -- In contention

2007 -- Also ran

2008 -- In contention

That's pretty good, all things considered, IMO. Frankly, I am pleased with my team being in contention more often than not, particularly since college football is becoming more and more volatile every year. Teams that were once great are no longer (e.g. Notre Dame, Nebraska, aforementioned Tennessee, Texas A&M, and Auburn). Some teams that were great fell and have risen back (Penn State, FSU, and Alabama come to mind). Heck -- a lot of people were ready to pull the plug on Joe Pa about 2-3 years ago...but I think most would argue they've rebounded rather nicely.

Now, does this mean that Fridge should get a free pass? Definitely not. I agree that if Fridge believes that he can no longer reach his players (which he hinted at a few times this year) then it is time for him to move on. However, I think it is easy to get caught up at looking at the big prize and feeling that falling short is inherently a failure.

Fridge had Maryland in contention for the ACC championship until the last week of the season. In any other sport, that would be considered a successful season.

Great post - agree 100%

Well - actually that was more a reference for the "F Maryland" comment by an earlier poster. Kind of mixing two reactions together. Not intended for you, per se.

Otherwise, I will have to agree to disagree with you. I happen to enjoy watching and following the Terps. High and low. Your radar is, apparently, very narrow... because you are only concerned with the end result of a national championship. I'm not saying that wouldn't be nice to follow... but, in the end, like most people I only have time to watch a game or two a weekend... I happen to watch the Terps. They are a program that does matter... perhaps not to the degree of USC or Florida... but then again 90% of teams don't fit in that category... actually probably less than that. The next 8% are bordering that elite status... and then there is a chunk that has some great players and can play well. Maryland, right now, falls in the later half. There was a time that they fit into the next level up from that... the first 3 years of Ralph.

Look... you can think they suck... but for most MD fans, at this point, we're rooting for a victory weekend so we can get a shot at watching Maryland play another team of some stature. It's novel. It's fun. It's college football.

You and I may be different in the fact that I'm not going to ignore a team that isn't the best of the best. I'm not going to only watch the Yankees or Red Sox in baseball. I'm going to choose to watch the skins over only watching the Patriots.

Of course there are times I get frustrated with Fridge... especially with his relatively weak excuses... and there are times I'd like to see him leave. But in no way do agree with you that Maryland is some blip that just doesn't matter.

I'm not sure if you choose to ignore my words, or just put words in my mouth. I never said that they suck. I never said that I don't enjoy watching them. I never said I don't root for victory.

I have season tickets, and I go to every home game...and I've been to every bowl game since Fridge took over. I called them an afterthought, which I think is true. Honestly, outside of the state of MD, do you think anyone else in the country concerns themselves with Terrapin football? We are an above average team in one of the weakest major conferences in NCAA football. That's all. Locally, they are semi-exciting on a regular basis. But, nationally? An afterthought IMO. When Fridge took over, I thought we were headed for better things. But, his recruiting seems to have stopped that. I still enjoy watching them, and they are better off than when Fridge took over. But, I certainly hope the program can continue to grow.

In NCAA football, the ACC is an afterthought this year. And, MD is a mediocre ACC team. The Terps have a shot at a 9 win season against largely mediocre teams.

In other words: They suck. How else is this supposed to be read? You don't exactly type the words... but you couldn't skate the line any more closely.

Again, there is only a very small percentage of schools that carry a national interest. A very small percentage. Period. Nothing more to say. It's college football... that's pretty much the way it is. And to think Maryland carries any less weight than other teams that are as competitive as they are is a silly notion.

In other words: They suck. How else is this supposed to be read? You don't exactly type the words... but you couldn't skate the line any more closely.

Again, there is only a very small percentage of schools that carry a national interest. A very small percentage. Period. Nothing more to say. It's college football... that's pretty much the way it is. And to think Maryland carries any less weight than other teams that are as competitive as they are is a silly notion.

They suck. Since you won't give up until I say what you already think I said, then I'll say it. Move on.

They suck. Since you won't give up until I say what you already think I said, then I'll say it. Move on.

That's funny... you had forgotten what you had said... and, really, those words need no further explanation or clarification.

Archived