Yet Again...

RFisthaMan

Wow, Turner is getting the blame for this one, really? When the O-line played as bad as it did? Turner gets sacked 5 times in the first half and that's hits fault? Or were all those blitzers the line let waltz on through somehow the QB's fault?

Turner didn't play a good game by any means. His second interception was inexcusable. But the offensive line was dominated. It set the tone for the whole game. That was the whole game right there.

In football, it's completely a team game. The offensive line can struggle, which rattles the QB, which causes bad plays when the QB isn't rushed, which causes the defense to go after the QB even more, which makes the offensive line look even worse.

And add in the running game not getting established and making their own mistakes, which means when the QB struggles they can't go back to the ground AND when the mistakes start turning into points for the opponents they have to abandon the run completely.

An improvement from any of the separate units can help stem the tide (i.e. a better QB can handle the pressure better), but when all are having bad nights at the same time it leads to disaster.

Overall, I think the offense is alright, but Turner really lost a lot of support with his play. With all of the reports about his practice habits and the statistical evidence about only showing up for certain games, he really couldn't afford that kind of game on that kind of stage.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's rediculous. Maryland football is not an afterthought. Please. So they laid a goose egg. Get over it. But that statement is silly. So their not in the top 5. Only a select few programs are in that league. The Terps have a shot at a 9 win season. It ain't over yet.

No, it's not ridiculous. In NCAA football, the ACC is an afterthought this year. And, MD is a mediocre ACC team. The Terps have a shot at a 9 win season against largely mediocre teams. The only way "it ain't over" is if "it" = "trip to mediocre bowl game".

No, it's not ridiculous. In NCAA football, the ACC is an afterthought this year. And, MD is a mediocre ACC team. The Terps have a shot at a 9 win season against largely mediocre teams. The only way "it ain't over" is if "it" = "trip to mediocre bowl game".

It is ridiculous. Duke is an after thought. Army is an after thought. Maryland is not an afterthought.

Maryland is a good ACC team this year in a league with a ton of parity. The ACC has no National Championship Contender this year... any fool can figure that out. But the conference has pulled together the second highest winning percentage - out of conference - of any conference in college football.

The problem is many of you get so wrapped up in the best of the best... that you can't see the forest for the trees. There's been a lot of good football played in the ACC this year... and there are a few teams that are beginning to show that they may, once again, move into the elite.

The elite is such small company in college football... you need to move on from the fact that you aren't part of that and enjoy what you have. Either that, or you can continue to cry in your beer and stamp your feet. Watch and enjoy and forgo the temper-tantrums. Even my 6 year old has figured that out.

It is ridiculous. Duke is an after thought. Army is an after thought. Maryland is not an afterthought.

Maryland is a good ACC team this year in a league with a ton of parity. The ACC has no National Championship Contender this year... any fool can figure that out. But the conference has pulled together the second highest winning percentage - out of conference - of any conference in college football.

The problem is many of you get so wrapped up in the best of the best... that you can't see the forest for the trees. There's been a lot of good football played in the ACC this year... and there are a few teams that are beginning to show that they may, once again, move into the elite.

The elite is such small company in college football... you need to move on from the fact that you aren't part of that and enjoy what you have. Either that, or you can continue to cry in your beer and stamp your feet. Watch and enjoy and forgo the temper-tantrums. Even my 6 year old has figured that out.

:agree:

Excellent post, sir. To piggy back off this...

There is much more parity in college football -- at least, there was this year. Traditional powers Michigan, Tennessee, and Texas A & M were all pretty lousy this year. In fact, none of them are making a bowl. Vanderbilt is making a bowl for the first time since the early 1980s. Heck, it took LSU a frantic 4th quarter to stave off getting blown out by Troy in Baton Rouge. It's not just Maryland that has been a victim of parity.

Absent that, I think a lot of people have missed the fact that making the postseason in any sport IS A SUCCESS. The only difference in college football is perfection is, for the most part, necessary to win the national title. There is no other sport that I know of where that is the case. Naturally you want to win titles, but you can continue building the program by showing recruits that they will get an end of the year trip by playing at your school (not to mention increase practice time that gets eliminated by not making the postseason).

I think the only valid indictment I have read about the Maryland program/Friedgen this year is him talking about not getting through to his players. That is 100% on the coaching staff, and if he feels he can no longer get through, it is time for him to retire. Deep down, I bet Fridge would agree with this. Heck, when he came here back in 2001, I distinctly remember him saying he planned on retiring after 8 years. Not sure if this is still the plan, but I tend to think that he is most likely nearing the end of his career.

In that time, Fridge made Maryland football relevant again (if not to the national scene, certainly to the regional scene). He has gotten the university to improve their facilities, he has gotten MUCH larger crowds to the games, in short, the program is in substantially better shape than since he got here.

Although, I have to admit that I am very amused by the posters who call for Fridge's head after Maryland loses, but somehow disappear from the threads after they win.

You almost had me until you felt the need to go down the temper-tantrum route. That was the height of maturity...good work. I don't remember saying that MD should be elite...but they just really aren't impressive. They aren't in competition for anything of significance. They have a 7 point win over Delaware. Losses to MTSU and UVA. They have some decent wins too, don't get me wrong. That's what I'm not saying they are terrible. But, do you think anyone outside of Maryland has any interest in watching a UMD football game?

I'm not crying about MD football. I'm just completely unimpressed by them, and I have been for a few years. You don't have be "elite" to be more than an afterthought. To me, an inconsistent team in a mediocre conference is nothing more than an afterthought in the big picture of college football. In Fridge's first few years, MD wasn't elite. But, they certainly were on the NCAA radar. Now? Not so much.

Absent that, I think a lot of people have missed the fact that making the postseason in any sport IS A SUCCESS. The only difference in college football is perfection is, for the most part, necessary to win the national title.

57% of D-1A teams make the post-season. That's a lot of successful seasons.

57% of D-1A teams make the post-season. That's a lot of successful seasons.

It is. The powers that be decided to have that many make the post season.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you end the season playing in the GMAC Bowl or the Rose Bowl -- you still aren't going to win the national championship.

Only 1 team wins it all -- that's true in any sport.

It is. The powers that be decided to have that many make the post season.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter if you end the season playing in the GMAC Bowl or the Rose Bowl -- you still aren't going to win the national championship.

Only 1 team wins it all -- that's true in any sport.

So there is no difference between making a BCS Bowl or the GMAC Bowl? Seriously?

All I can really say is to go on youtube and find some Terps clips of games in 2001 and 2002. Watch how the players play, what they do. Watch how dynamic the offense was with the option and watch how the defense attacked. The team was a thing of beauty on both sides of the ball.

What's this? OMG!? Is it the "spread option?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T10Ym-KsYjE

Here's some option w/the fullback gettin' some "sugar":

Here's a defensive clip, these guys are attacking especially the hit from Leroy Ambush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNExiKQUmnY

Contrast those clips with what you have seen the past two years. It is night and day difference, like comparing "Pop Warner" ball to the NFL. There were bright coaches and the team had football players on it, not a collection of individuals with great "measurables". It is also my opinion that having an athletic QB running the option really opened up the possibilities for the Terps on offense.

Alas.....those were many years ago. We haven't had a QB like McBrien, a guy that ironically nobody wanted, or a RB like Bruce Perry, a DT like Randy Starks or a LB like Shawn Merriman. Those guys are long gone.

So there is no difference between making a BCS Bowl or the GMAC Bowl? Seriously?

Answer me this...

How many teams, since the inception of the BCS championship game, have won a championship after winning the Rose Bowl?

Assuming they keep the BCS National Championship game in place for the forseeable future, how many will EVER win a National Championship after winning the Rose Bowl?

Look, I agree there is a distinct difference between going to a BCS Bowl and the GMAC Bowl, but that's more in prestige than in National Championships. The point still remains that most teams in I-A (or whatever it's called now) football still aren't going to sniff a BCS Bowl.

Heck, we're probably going to wind up with at least one undefeated team playing in a bowl the equivalent of the GMAC Bowl this season. Why should they even bother?

Now, let's look at the Terps. Are they disappointed that they're not going to the Orange Bowl? Absolutely. I guarantee that.

I bet they're thrilled that they get to go somewhere for the holidays, though. You're probably asking why they're thrilled. Simply put, I would be willing to wager that if you asked the team whether they would rather play in the Music City Bowl or call it a season, the vast majority would vote to play on. They're in the postseason, so play on.

Answer me this...

How many teams, since the inception of the BCS championship game, have won a championship after winning the Rose Bowl?

Assuming they keep the BCS National Championship game in place for the forseeable future, how many will EVER win a National Championship after winning the Rose Bowl?

Look, I agree there is a distinct difference between going to a BCS Bowl and the GMAC Bowl, but that's more in prestige than in National Championships. The point still remains that most teams in I-A (or whatever it's called now) football still aren't going to sniff a BCS Bowl.

Heck, we're probably going to wind up with at least one undefeated team playing in a bowl the equivalent of the GMAC Bowl this season. Why should they even bother?

Now, let's look at the Terps. Are they disappointed that they're not going to the Orange Bowl? Absolutely. I guarantee that.

I bet they're thrilled that they get to go somewhere for the holidays, though. You're probably asking why they're thrilled. Simply put, I would be willing to wager that if you asked the team whether they would rather play in the Music City Bowl or call it a season, the vast majority would vote to play on. They're in the postseason, so play on.

I agree that some players may be thrilled. But, thrilled 19 year old kids does not equate to a "successful" season. Fridge set the bar high early on. His teams had thrilling offensive play, and solid defense. They were consistently tough to stop. They haven't been that team since McBrien left. They often have a stagnant offense. They can't find a legit QB. The defense is poor. They're back to being a tier 2 ACC team. Maybe some kids will be excited to go to Boise, Seattle, or Charlotte...but I wouldn't call this season a successful one.

I agree that some players may be thrilled. But, thrilled 19 year old kids does not equate to a "successful" season. Fridge set the bar high early on. His teams had thrilling offensive play, and solid defense. They were consistently tough to stop. They haven't been that team since McBrien left. They often have a stagnant offense. They can't find a legit QB. The defense is poor. They're back to being a tier 2 ACC team. Maybe some kids will be excited to go to Boise, Seattle, or Charlotte...but I wouldn't call this season a successful one.

Yeah, because college football isn't about those pesky kids :laughlol:

Archived