2021 Orioles #1 Prospect - Adley Rutschman -C

Tony-OH

Very nice write-up, Tony.   I agree Rutschman may not hit for average as much as we like.   At the same time, the power I saw was tremendous.   I saw video of maybe 18 or 20 of his 23 homers, and there wasn’t a wall-scraper in the bunch.   Many were tremendous blasts.   Playing in OPACY, I think he’s a 35+ homer guy in his prime.   

Even though the team probably won’t be very good in 2022, just watching Rutschman develop and the impact he has on the team will be reason enough to watch.   

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Very nice write-up, Tony.   I agree Rutschman may not hit for average as much as we like.   At the same time, the power I saw was tremendous.   I saw video of maybe 18 or 20 of his 23 homers, and there wasn’t a wall-scraper in the bunch.   Many were tremendous blasts.   Playing in OPACY, I think he’s a 35+ homer guy in his prime.   

Even though the team probably won’t be very good in 2022, just watching Rutschman develop and the impact he has on the team will be reason enough to watch.   

I was very surprised to see the grades Tony put on his hit tool: Current 50 and Future 70.

That seems high to me, personally.

It suggest that Rutschman has the ability to develop into a consistent .300+ hitter.  I just don't see that happening.

Perhaps Tony could expand on his thoughts.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He does have that kind of power potential, but if he does hit for that kind of power, he's probably going to end up a .250-.260 hitter though with the walks he'll still have an OBP around .340-.350. The power dropped off in AAA when he shortened his left-handed swing. We'll see what he uses next year in Baltimore. He might hit for less power early on as he makes adjustments but ultimately I can see him as a 30 homer guy with peak years higher.

55 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I was very surprised to see the grades Tony put on his hit tool: Current 50 and Future 70.

That seems high to me, personally.

It suggest that Rutschman has the ability to develop into a consistent .300+ hitter.  I just don't see that happening.

Perhaps Tony could expand on his thoughts.

Hit tool for me is not just average for me, but plate discipline and strike zone awareness. While the holes in his left handed swing may cause his average to suffer a bit, he has top of the charts strike zone awareness. If Rutschman keeps the shorter swing that he used in AAA from the left side, I could see him hitting for a higher average and I know he's going to draw his share of walks because he gets in deep counts often.

• Upvote 1

I don’t know why so many people were down on Wieters. I was unhappy with his last year or two, but he generally had an outstanding career, with very little to complain about except unmet lofty expectations, and it’s hard to fault a guy for that.

If AR It is as successful or more so, even if he too suffers from “unmet lofty expectations” I don’t think anybody will be able to call it anything but a win.

So 20 homers instead of 35 will be nothing to complain about.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t know why so many people were down on Wieters. I was unhappy with his last year or two, but he generally had an outstanding career, with very little to complain about except unmet lofty expectations, and it’s hard to fault a guy for that.

If AR It is as successful or more so, even if he too suffers from “unmet lofty expectations” I don’t think anybody will be able to call it anything but a win.

So 20 homers instead of 35 will be nothing to complain about.

When you’re picked 1:1, expectations are going to be high.   And Rutschman was considered the most clear-cut 1:1 in a long time.   If he’s not a 40 WAR player many folks are going to be disappointed.

As to Wieters, I’d say his career was fine for a 1:5 pick, but it paled compared to expectations once he had his monster MiL season in 2008.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

When you’re picked 1:1, expectations are going to be high.   And Rutschman was considered the most clear-cut 1:1 in a long time.   If he’s not a 40 WAR player many folks are going to be disappointed.

As to Wieters, I’d say his career was fine for a 1:5 pick, but it paled compared to expectations once he had his monster MiL season in 2008.   

Well, sure, and I understand that there is a ratio of production to expectation that is considered acceptable, And one day some psychologist is going to do a thesis on exactly what that “acceptable” percentage is.

My point was that AR doesn’t have to be the risen Savior to have a successful career, anymore than Wieters did.

On 10/25/2021 at 12:39 PM, Tony-OH said:

Hit tool for me is not just average for me, but plate discipline and strike zone awareness. While the holes in his left handed swing may cause his average to suffer a bit, he has top of the charts strike zone awareness. If Rutschman keeps the shorter swing that he used in AAA from the left side, I could see him hitting for a higher average and I know he's going to draw his share of walks because he gets in deep counts often.

That's a bit of a philosophical question, which I believe I had before with Can of Corn, specifically regarding Rutschman.  It's clear he has excellent plate discipline.  If you look at hit tool as an "obp" thing rather than an "avg" thing, then I believe your grade is fairly accurate.