The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

I hope its not 28mil a year either, but at this point I really think it would mean alot to all O's fans to get this guy no matter what the cost. Coming into the offseason I didn't buy into all the arguments that signing Tex would be a great idea but after everything that has happened on these boards the last couple weeks I don't know if I can handle not signing Tex.

I also have a feeling we are going to get trashed in the media if we sign Tex, much like Onley's article the other day.

If we give him 28M per year for 10 years, we should get trashed in the media, and rightfully so. That would be a contract we will regret, and probably only a year or two after he signs it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we give him 28M per year for 10 years, we should get trashed in the media, and rightfully so. That would be a contract we will regret, and probably only a year or two after he signs it.

I agree, and I really doubt it goes that high, it sounded like a bit of sensationalism on Ravich's part, comparing the contract to ARod. Lets focus on the positive here guys, we are finally being mentioned as a contender for TEX!!!!!

I don't know if anybody else caught it but they just had Karl Ravich (sp?) on Sportscenter commenting on the Tex Sweepstakes, he mentioned all the same teams are still involved but that Tex and Boras keep going back to the Orioles, that he and his wife really have a strong pull towards Baltimore that cancels out any desire to win as soon as possible. He said the contract will likely approach AROD territory and have an annual value of 23-28 million. He didn't say that Tex was going to the O's but his interview was more pro-Baltimore than any piece of National News Media that I have seen so far. If you had to guess who the leader for Tex was based on his segment, it would have to be the O's!

Also, I forgot to add, Ravich mentioned the O's would like to use Tex like Ripken, a hometown superstar the team can build around. And when he mentioned Tex going to by near home he mentioned the Orioles and not the Nationals.

Yeah espically if what Belkast says is true that Tex has our offer in his hands. I can see them trying to raise the amount now that they have the O's deal in hand.

I guess there are three schools of thought here.

1. Either this was said out loud because he wants to come here and Boston or LA has the highest offer and he wants to publically call out the O's and Nats to get them to raise their offers
  2. This was said because the O's or Nats have the highest offer and they are trying to get Boston or LA to pay a premium
  3. It was just a comment with no hidden meaning

I think 3 isn't realistic as I am sure Boras is in full control of anything put out to the press.

Archived