Option status of our players

Frobby

Looking at how this team is constructed, it’s notable that we have a lot of flexibility to option outfielders and pitchers, but very little flexibility in the infield.  

Infield: Odor and Owings were signed as free agents and have no options.   Urias, Gutierrez and Mateo have no options.   Mountcastle has all three options but isn’t going anywhere.   

Outfield: Mullins and McKenna each have two options, Hays and Santander each have one.  Mancini as a player with 5+ years of service cannot be optioned. In the minors, Diaz is on the 40-man and has two options.

Pitchers:   Lopez and Perez are out of options.   Otherwise, Bautista, Ellis, T. Wells and Zimmermann have three; Watkins, Tate, Fry, Kriehbel and Baumann have two; Akin and Lakins have one.   Of pitchers not on the 25-man roster but on the 40-man right now, Kremer and Diplan have one option, A. Wells and Lowther have two; Hall, Bradish and Gillaspie have three.  

Catchers: No flexibility here.   Chirinos was signed as a free agent and has no options.  Bemboom and Nottingham have no options.   I don’t think it matters much.   

We do have a bunch of optionable infielders who are on the 40-man in the minors (Vavra, Bannon, Nevin and Jones), but would have to expose someone to waivers to get to them.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/depth-charts/orioles

• Upvote 1

I think we have flexibility with most of our IF in the sense that they’re not good and nobody cares if we lose them. Urias and Mateo are two pieces to hold on to. But, Owings, Odor, and Gutierrez are AAAA players at best. Of course, there’s nobody knocking on the door at Norfolk to warrant losing any of the 3 now. 

• Upvote 3

Will be interesting to see what happens when May roster crunch rolls around. Roster has to be reduced to 26, and max of 13 pitchers. Watkins and Ellis have done well as fill in starters, but you have to think they, along with Lakins are on the hot seat. 

38 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Will be interesting to see what happens when May roster crunch rolls around. Roster has to be reduced to 26, and max of 13 pitchers. Watkins and Ellis have done well as fill in starters, but you have to think they, along with Lakins are on the hot seat. 

I think Owings is gone and one of the pitchers. At this point, probably Lakins. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I think Owings is gone and one of the pitchers. At this point, probably Lakins. 

Owings might be gone, especially if the Orioles need a 40man spot, but two of the pitchers have to go. Currently Orioles have 15 on the roster

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Owings might be gone, especially if the Orioles need a 40man spot, but two of the pitchers have to go. Currently Orioles have 15 on the roster

Oh you’re right. I forgot about the 13 pitcher max. There’s really nobody else that “deserves” to be sent down. I guess watch what happens with Watkins and Ellis the rest of the month. Baumann or Fry could be in play.