Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing is official yet. I was told that we would either have some kind of aggrement today or we would be dropping out. Tex is in the elimination process as I was told we fully expect to know where we stand today.

Now that is telling. Sounds a bit more definitive than past posts. I sure hope so- one way or another- this is starting to get OLD.

I am actually at a point where I won't care either way just because this whole process is really spoiling baseball for me. I know other have spoken about it already- but the greed, deceit, and shady tactics used in the free agent bidding wars is just sad.

Nothing is official yet. I was told that we would either have some kind of aggrement today or we would be dropping out. Tex is in the elimination process as I was told we fully expect to know where we stand today.

As always, thanks a lot Belkast. Sounds like there will be a lot of happy people today, or a lot of people that will need extensive therapy (JTrea I'm looking at you)...just kidding buddy. :D

Hopefully we aren't getting the Auf Wiedersehen.

Our own Ken Rosenthal is still stuck on Boston

Wherever Teixeira ends up, and Boston is still the best guess, his deal is certain to exceed the eight-year, $160 million deal that Ramirez signed with the Red Sox in 2000 — a deal that included $31 million in deferred payments, significantly reducing its present-day value.

Then the question will become: Is "Tex" worth it?

Aside from the obvious, "No player is" — especially in the middle of a worldwide economic crisis — the answer is indeed arguable.

Among active players, Teixeira ranks only 19th in adjusted OPS — his rate above the league average expressed as a percentage.

Pujols is first in that statistic, Ramirez third and A-Rod tied for sixth. Teixeira is just behind David Ortiz, just ahead of Jason Bay and J.D. Drew. Nothing spectacular.

To view Teixeira in simpler terms, he never has finished higher than seventh in the MVP balloting — seventh!

Why, then, is he the most intensely pursued free agent that Boras has ever had?

# Age. Teixeira turns 29 in April, so his best years might be ahead of him. In each of the past two seasons, he produced a career-high adjusted OPS.

# Durability. It's easy to trust a player who averages 151 games per season, as Teixiera.

# Switch-hitting prowess. Chipper Jones, Lance Berkman and Teixeira are the three best switch-hitters among active players.

# Defense. A two-time Gold Glove winner, Teixeira is a difference-maker at first base.

# Personality. Pleasant and boring, which, in the post-Manny era, will serve him well in Boston.

That is, if he goes to Boston.

Source - Fox Sports

My guess would be dropping out or eliminated by Tex from our low offer. I don't believe for a second Red Sox are out of it, I think its between them or the larger offer from Nats and it will come down to if the extra money is enough to keep him from the Sox.

Gotta believe Tex said he had an agreement to give the Orioles the chance to meet / beat best offer and Hendry & Epstein likely said take this offer or leave it.

I think they will not be coming back to the table.

The Angels may seize this moment to get heavily back into the bidding, but the West Coast component must be a strong deterrent.

Gotta believe we win out versus the Nats.

Man, you have got to be fooling yourself. This isn't the first time the Red Sox played chicken with a Scott Boras player. This is all a cat and mouse game... the Sox are playing a good hand.

The Red Sox are still very much in the conversation, even if they are saying they are out.

Archived