Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

I am trying not to imagine this scenario, but what the heck? Let's say Tex doesn't sign with the O's and we end up signing a catcher, tim redding, and/or braden looper. Does this seem like something AM would do or feel proud of doing? These past 2 weeks would have been for not, when the other teams bidding for his services don't really need Tex to produce wins on the field (save for the Bugs). My gut feeling is that the fact the O's have never said we're out of it this late in the process tells me that Tex is coming home... and he'll bring that Orioles Magic back to The Yard! :)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am trying not to imagine this scenario, but what the heck? Let's say Tex doesn't sign with the O's and we end up signing a catcher, tim redding, and/or braden looper. Does this seem like something AM would do or feel proud of doing? These past 2 weeks would have been for not, when the other teams bidding for his services don't really need Tex to produce wins on the field (save for the Bugs). My gut feeling is that the fact the O's have never said we're out of it this late in the process tells me that Tex is coming home... and he'll bring that Orioles Magic back to The Yard! :)

It tells me that they are at least putting out info to keep us from revolting while they try to sell season plans.

“No player is going to sign up with a team knowing they are going to lose. When a player has the chance, they’re going to go with a winner.”

“I know this is a business,” Teixeira said, “but when the Yankees go get All-Stars every year and the Red Sox go out and get All-Stars every year, it shows you they want to compete and win.”

/ Fort Worth Star-Telegram Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The other revealing thing about that year old article is it portrays Tex as a union rep, which consistently disapproves of players taking lower salary bids, for any reason.

So not only must we match the high offer, we needed to convince him we're future winners.

I think we can do both, but Tex, homeboy or not, is not going to be a pushover.

So, according to this ladys blog, Tex is a union rep. She says because of that, he might be obligated, or urged by the union and boras, to take the highest bid.

Thoughts?

Can any one verify if this is true (that he is a union rep?)???

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/blog/2008/12/crazy_turnabout_on_teixeira.html

Can't verify. Interesting that she waited to the end to bring it up. Mark is looking out for MLBPA, that's why he hired Boras as his agent. Of course he wants the highest offer, most Boras clients do. But...

It's a blog and she, admittingly, is offering an opinion and we all know... opinions are like... everyone's got one... especially yankee fans

I think our pitching is not going to be THAT bad as last year. Compared to 2006, 2007 was a ungodly fiasco. I would think this year is gonna be better with returns of Ray, JJ, Sherrill, etc. Add to the fact we don't have the MLB leader in walks, hit batters, and ERA anymore.

Can we clone Jeremy Guthrie 4 times? See, pitching woes solved! Let's say Guthrie and Olson are the known starters. I feel Arrieta will win a job out of spring training. Who are the two starters we sign? Keep length of contract and dollar amount in mind.

I would pay Sheets 3/33 with a 4th year option that is picked up if he pitches 550+ IP, the option would be $17 Million. That would be a 4/50 deal if he gets the 4th year option. I would also try to sign the cheaper of the two pitchers from Japan. I think that would be Uehera and I would give him 3/21. If 3 of our starters (Arrieta, Matusz, and Tillman) pan out, then we move Uehera into the bullpen of keep a 6th starter to supplement Ben Sheets if he gets injured.

I would like to see us go get Greg Zaun.

Can we clone Jeremy Guthrie 4 times? See, pitching woes solved! Let's say Guthrie and Olson are the known starters. I feel Arrieta will win a job out of spring training. Who are the two starters we sign? Keep length of contract and dollar amount in mind.

I would pay Sheets 3/33 with a 4th year option that is picked up if he pitches 550+ IP, the option would be $17 Million. That would be a 4/50 deal if he gets the 4th year option. I would also try to sign the cheaper of the two pitchers from Japan. I think that would be Uehera and I would give him 3/21. If 3 of our starters (Arrieta, Matusz, and Tillman) pan out, then we move Uehera into the bullpen of keep a 6th starter to supplement Ben Sheets if he gets injured.

I would like to see us go get Greg Zaun.

That almost seems like a definite. We openly want him, he openly wants us... and who better to tutor a young Wieters than Dempsey's nephew?

That almost seems like a definite. We openly want him, he openly wants us... and who better to tutor a young Wieters than Dempsey's nephew?

I agree. It appears like we'll probably get Zaun and one other catcher after Tex announces his decision. Plus, get two or three more pitchers.

Never heard of him, but that sounds like a name you can trust. :D

What was the bankground on that rumor anyway? Wasn't it that Tex was near agreeing to a deal with the Sox but he would take an O's offer if they hit 8/170? I can't clearly remember.. too many cocktails during the Ravens win???

I agree. It appears like we'll probably get Zaun and one other catcher after Tex announces his decision. Plus, get two or three more pitchers.

It's not remotely fair to all those players that the Tex talks have totally clogged the entire FA market... with this latest Yankees news I am feeling good that a market is established and real action can happen.

What was the bankground on that rumor anyway? Wasn't it that Tex was near agreeing to a deal with the Sox but he would take an O's offer if they hit 8/170? I can't clearly remember.. too many cocktails during the Ravens win???

I think you are correct through your alcohol-filled mind.

Archived