Mid-Season quick take on International hitters at Delmarva

Tony-OH

This year's Delmarva Shorebirds squad is the first Orioles full season team to have mostly International players including most of the position players. I've seen enough of their games this year and we have enough statistics to have a decent gauge on this first group.

Overall, they have been disappointing as 26-54 record coming into tonight's game which they won 7-3. I'm going to put them order of interest from a prospect status.

1. Frederick Becosme (SS) - Easily the best prospect of the bunch. Bencosme will play the entire year at 19-years old and has been impressive on both offense and defense. I won't go into much detail because you can read about him in his own 2022 thread. The only thing I will add is the more I watch him, the more I'm impressed. He's a top-30 guy for me now.

2. Isaac Bellony (OF) - Bellony, who was born in the Virgin Islands, signed for $220,000 in 2018 by Dan Duqette's regime as a 16-year old. Signed as a switch hitter, he gave up hitting right-handed during this season and is strictly a left-handed hitter. He's got some pop, but his swing is long and he struggles on offspeed pitches. He was promoted to Aberdeen where he's really struggled, especially with strike outs. He's a player to watch, but he'll need to make some adjustments to his swing if he's going to have any success at high level pitching. Defensively he's just ok and doesn't have foot speed to play CF effectively.

3. Stiven Acevedo - Signed by Elias/Perez for $275,000 as a 16-year old in 2019, Acevedo has struggled in his first go around in the Sally League but there's a nice body and some tools to work with. Acevedo is listed at 6-4, 185 pounds so there are some thoughts he could grow into this body and add some power. He's a little unbalanced and some work to do with pitch recognition, but he's worth keeping an eye on.

4. Noelberth Romero (INF) - Romero is one of the toolsy guys that just ends up putting up middling numbers during his career. He's got solid tools though he probably doesn't have the arm to play SS effectively. He occasionally shows some pop but can get beat with offspeed pitches especially sliders away. He's a bit of error machine but some of that may be because he's moving all around. Acquired in the Andrew Cashner, Romero will need to put it together soon or he's going to lose playing time.

5. Isaac Deleon (1B/3B) - DeLeon was acquired for Richard Bleier as a young shortstop, He's grown out of the shortstop position and really doesn't have the hands or agility to play on the left-side of the infield effectively making him best at 1B.  Deleon can square up a fastball and has EVs as high as 109 MPH, but he struggles against offspeed. Worth watching but with his defensive position being best at 1B, it puts a lot o pressure on the bat.

6. Luis Valdez (2B/CF) - Speedy left-handed hitter who no real position and no power. Can slap some singles and use his speed effectively on the bases, but he's a poor man Alan Wiggins.

7. Mishael Deson (OF) - A pretty big disappointment. At 6-4, 211 pounds, he plays more like he's 5-6, 140 pounds. Just a slow bat, loapy kind of guy. Pretty much the exact opposite of a quick twitch guy. No power and only adequate defensively.

8. Elio Prado (OF) - The other piece brought over in the Cashner trade with the Red Sox, Prado missed all of 2020 due to COVID and 2021 due to injury. The lay off has not been kind to the bat where he's struggled with Delmarva. I haven't seen anything that makes me do much more than know who he is because he was part of that trade.

9. Roberto Martínez (UTL) - A guy who doesn't look likes he belongs in Delmarva. Has never hit, doesn't field well, and really is just a little surprising he gets more than the occasion PA or to fill in during a blow out.

10. Wilkin Grullón (C) - Bad body-Org catcher doing org catching things. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, waynebug said:

Good review. Thanks.  

Do you see these guys in person or on milb tv?

We always knew Prado was a contact/speed guy in 2019.  Little to no power.

All on MilbTv. Just not worth my time anymore to go to the games with as much coverage as we get now.

Good review.  Thanks for this from those of us that can't watch these guys. 

This is really pretty disappointing.  I'm wondering how bad the guys that didn't make the top 10 are given your writeup on the v last 2 or 3 guys.  They must have the ability of randomly picking av guy off the street. 

What position has Acevedo been playing?

• 2 weeks later...

Might be nothing or it might be something.  Mishael Deson, like Tony said has been a huge disappointment.  He had a really good year in FCL last year and spent the first 3 months swinging a wet noodle in Delmava.

He missed a month on the IL and just came back a few games ago.  The odd thing is they put a player with a sub .600 OPS and 4 extra base hits (no homers) for the entire season in the CLEANUP spot.

Deson is 4-13 since coming back but more importantly hit a homer to CF last night.  Might be nothing but it might be something. 

It almost makes me think they used that month to re-work his swing.  Let's keep an eye on it.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Might be nothing or it might be something.  Mishael Deson, like Tony said has been a huge disappointment.  He had a really good year in FCL last year and spent the first 3 months swinging a wet noodle in Delmava.

He missed a month on the IL and just came back a few games ago.  The odd thing is they put a player with a sub .600 OPS and 4 extra base hits (no homers) for the entire season in the CLEANUP spot.

Deson is 4-13 since coming back but more importantly hit a homer to CF last night.  Might be nothing but it might be something. 

It almost makes me think they used that month to re-work his swing.  Let's keep an eye on it.

Yeah, I'm goin to have go back and watch those games to see if I see anything different. He was so out in front of everything before that he could not get into any power. 

They seem to be using the IL to get guys back to Florida and work on things. We never really hear what their injuries are but they seem to come back and do pretty well.