The Orioles OPS Leader Horse Race

Frobby

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

Urias actually leads the team in WAR.  I would love to take credit for discovering that but I read it on Reddit.

In bwar he's tied with Cedric, in fwar he's very slightly behind Cedric and Adley. Either way he's been very good

10 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

OK, I am interested in this and think I understand the old SB rules, but I don't see 37 in a column and can't add up the numbers to get to 37.  I am seeing 20 + 9 + 2 +11 for 42.

This is a very silly exercise but I think what I did was 21 steals minus six caught plus nine first-to-thirds, plus two scores from first on a double, plus 11 scores from second on a single, minus three outs on bases... but that's not right so maybe I double counted something.

The easy, non-goofy solution is to just look at the Rbaser total under value and it takes all that stuff and converts it into runs above/below average  For Mullins that's +2.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

2 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

I hope all of these players hit the cover off the ball the rest of the way, but this looks like Rutschman's race to lose now and he's the most likely to turn it into Secretariat's Belmont stretch run.

Most posters are too young to remember that, but how exciting that was.  Back when everyone actually still paid attention to the Triple Crown races and no horse had swept them in 25 years.  What Secretariat did in the home stretch was the equivalent of what Roy Hobbs did in the last scene of The Natural (feel-good movie version), complete with the light stantions exploding.   One of the most thrilling sports events I’ve witnessed.  And yes, I suspect Rutschman may put that kind of distance between him and his teammates in the OPS race before it’s over.   

• 2 weeks later...

Switch hitters are now .800, and if you're not you've fallen off to .750, .725 or .700.

The team may or may not be near its High Water mark, but it is with more than a little excitement I've been watching the Rutschman OBP ascent (OPS so clumsy with SLG on its 4.000 scale to OBP's 1.000).    0-for-2 with 2 walks is kind of becoming the trademark game.

Today's .365 closing in on the League Top 10, the anchor of bad Month1 notwithstanding.

Kikuchi was the Jays easy setting...the matchups tonight and tomorrow more Must See.   Entering the year before the Yankees explosion, I figured (and kind of do still figure) the Jays not the Yankees would be harder to catch up with in the next couple years, so how the Early Adley Teams lineups do against the long-term Manoah-Berrios-Gausman problem is big.

• 1 month later...

And in the least shocking development of the year, the winner ends up being Adley Rutschman, with an .806.  I feel like he varied from around .790 to .815 for the last 2 months of the season or so.

Rounding out the podium among qualified individuals was Santander with a .773 and Mountcastle with a .729.  Mancini had a .751 with us if you want to count him.

Really ended up being a 2-horse race, and the lack of production from guys like Hays, Mountcastle and Urias is probably what ultimately led to this team falling a bit short.