Making Use of MLB TV Again

Filmstudy

For the first time in several years, I watched the end of the Mariners/Angels game on Friday with an Orioles rooting interest.  It's feeling good to watch the scoreboard again!

Tonight, doing so again and the Ms are losing game 2 6-1 in the 9th to LAA.

Maybe this is a more interesting question...with what technology have you kept up with scoreboard watching over the years.  I'll start as best I can recall:

Internet/smartphone for about the last 12 years

Blackberry when not around a PC before then for maybe 2-3 years

Internet PC from about 2000-07

A box I had from Stats Inc (forget the name of it, but it was about the size of a pager) in the late 1990s that would allow you to see the score/base/out situation in any game

Earlier in the 1990s--ESPN or the actual scoreboard at Camden Yards, which was a big improvement over Memorial Stadium--In that era I wanted the Orioles to have a "featured opponent" game where they would give the score/base/out situation continuously, but that never came to be.

1990-91 when scoring games in the press box I could go back to the AP (I think) wire to see what was happening in another big game.

1978 through most of the 1980s--postgame show then wait for scores to come up on the 11 PM news or call the scores hotline for the TV station (they all had these set up to avoid calls and that's actually how I found out the final score of the 1980 US/USSR hockey which was showed delayed here)

1971-77 If I didn't catch it on the postgame show, morning paper was the next shot (the Sun did a good job delivering late scores back then, including O's west coast games)

We've come a long way in terms of satisfying our need for instant sports information.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

Maybe this is a more interesting question...with what technology have you kept up with scoreboard watching over the years.  I'll start as best I can recall:

Internet/smartphone for about the last 12 years

Blackberry when not around a PC before then for maybe 2-3 years

Internet PC from about 2000-07

A box I had from Stats Inc (forget the name of it, but it was about the size of a pager) in the late 1990s that would allow you to see the score/base/out situation in any game

Earlier in the 1990s--ESPN or the actual scoreboard at Camden Yards, which was a big improvement over Memorial Stadium--In that era I wanted the Orioles to have a "featured opponent" game where they would give the score/base/out situation continuously, but that never came to be.

1990-91 when scoring games in the press box I could go back to the AP (I think) wire to see what was happening in another big game.

1978 through most of the 1980s--postgame show then wait for scores to come up on the 11 PM news or call the scores hotline for the TV station (they all had these set up to avoid calls and that's actually how I found out the final score of the 1980 US/USSR hockey which was showed delayed here)

1971-77 If I didn't catch it on the postgame show, morning paper was the next shot (the Sun did a good job delivering late scores back then, including O's west coast games)

We've come a long way in terms of satisfying our need for instant sports information.

Similar history to you.  The ESPN “bottom line” was a huge upgrade in the 90’s - it was always annoying when it disappeared during commercial breaks.  The other thing I discovered in the late 80’s was the phone service George Michael offered with scores.  Especially useful in the mornings when the O’s were on the west coast!