Are these Walltimore homer numbers correct?

Sports Guy

Just now, deward said:

Hays is plenty capable of clearing The Wall, he's done it on multiple occasions already. I don't think it's accurate to say he has to pull it down the line.

His max distance homer this year is impressive (465).   Last year it was 421.    It just seems to me that Mountcastle has more natural power and is able to clear it easier and more often although I think both are better off going straight away to CF or RF (where again it seems Mountcastle has more power than Hays).    Can Hays clear the LF wall?  Of course.     

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Big fan of the wall move.  Home run derby every night at the yard was getting ridiculous.  

I'm not sure if there's been an uptick in doubles and triples at OPACY this year but that doesn't really matter to me at this point.  Point blank, it's helped our pitching and I'm good with that.

I still don't get the argument that change in park dimensions helps our pitching more than it does visiting pitching. They aren't moving the wall back and forth between half innings, last I checked. The revamped bullpen has helped. Moving Lopez and Akin out of the rotation has helped. Kremer getting his act together has helped. Watkins pitching way over his head has helped.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

His max distance homer this year is impressive (465).   Last year it was 421.    It just seems to me that Mountcastle has more natural power and is able to clear it easier and more often although I think both are better off going straight away to CF or RF (where again it seems Mountcastle has more power than Hays).    Can Hays clear the LF wall?  Of course.     

To be fair, no one short of Aaron Judge is going to clear it with any regularity.

3 minutes ago, deward said:

I still don't get the argument that change in park dimensions helps our pitching more than it does visiting pitching. They aren't moving the wall back and forth between half innings, last I checked. The revamped bullpen has helped. Moving Lopez and Akin out of the rotation has helped. Kremer getting his act together has helped. Watkins pitching way over his head has helped.

Of course it helps the visitors.  But we've got to play 81 games in the park, the Yankees don't play here 81 times.  The Jays don't play here 81 times.  It helps the visitors from a cumulative standpoint but the Yankees, Jays and the rest of the AL East as well as other opponents don't have 81 games at a park with a fence like that.  Our guys do.

I agree, the bullpen has helped, Akin, Kremer has helped.  Both statements can be true.

5 minutes ago, deward said:

Over the long haul it may impact how the team is built. In a lesser offensive environment the Orioles have a better road .OPS than last year. One year of data so can’t overreact. Next year fewer division games as well. 

Fenway obviously is unique. Yankee Stadium short porch in RF.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Of course it helps the visitors.  But we've got to play 81 games in the park, the Yankees don't play here 81 times.  The Jays don't play here 81 times.  It helps the visitors from a cumulative standpoint but the Yankees, Jays and the rest of the AL East as well as other opponents don't have 81 games at a park with a fence like that.  Our guys do.

I agree, the bullpen has helped, Akin, Kremer has helped.  Both statements can be true.

Yes, but all 81 games have visiting pitchers that get the same benefit. I don't see how it would impact the W/L record over the long-haul. It just makes the pitching stats look superficially better.

9 minutes ago, deward said:

Yes, but all 81 games have visiting pitchers that get the same benefit. I don't see how it would impact the W/L record over the long-haul. It just makes the pitching stats look superficially better.

If you are pitching 50% of your games in a hitters park now does that impact the pitchers mentally? Is there any carryover on the road?

Less runs at home should also I think allow potentially for less wear and tear with the bullpen. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

If you are pitching 50% of your games in a hitters park now does that impact the pitchers mentally? Is there any carryover on the road?

Less runs at home should also I think allow potentially for less wear and tear with the bullpen. 

I think the idea that changing the park has suddenly made O's pitchers mentally tougher is way overblown. Plenty of pitchers have had success at OPCY under the old dimensions. Didn't seem to be an issue for Mussina, Miguel Gonzalez, Chris Tillman, Wei-Yen Chen, et al. The issue in recent years has been throwing pitchers who didn't belong in the big leagues out there against AL East lineups. I don't think Dean Kremer showed up on Opening Day this year, took a look at the new wall, and went "oh, I should try throwing more strikes...maybe that will work"

The dumb ball has helped homers go down some, too. But yeah that is still crazy. I am a fan of the wall, too. And I complained pretty heavily about the move this offseason. I thought it was an interesting strategy but just stupid and hurt the look of Camden. But I disagree with myself, now. I like it. I even think it looks okay and kind of cool. And it will be a factor in luring a FA SP this offseason, no doubt about it. Not saying it will be the sole reason at all, but a factor.