Relief Pitcher Trade target

Jim'sKid26

SG had mentioned that a premium relief pitcher should be high on the O's off season shopping list. I doubt that Edwin Diaz is leaving NY so I started to look at 2023 RP free agents with high K/9. As I look through a variety of names and stats, one name stuck out. I think he's a bit of an under the radar guy but he might be a very good fit for the O's.

Chris Martin of the LA Dodgers. He made $2.5M last year. He was worth 1.6 WAR. He is 36.

2022: 11.89 K/9, 0.8 BB/9, 4/1 in 56 innings pitching to 3.05 ERA; FIP: 2.18, xFIP: 2.01

So for maybe 2/$8-10M you can get a solid back of the BP arm. Thoughts?

Against signing a FA relief pitcher for multi millions.    Baker looks like he's ready to assume a bigger role next year.   Ready to roll with Baker/Tate/Perez/Bautista.    Depending on the rotation, Tyler Wells could return to the bullpen and be a late inning piece as well.   After that, I'd be looking at guys like Ryan Watson, Denoyer, Vallimont, and Armbruester.    And of course, looking for waiver pickups and maybe a Rule 5 reliever.

• Upvote 2

Your thread title says trade, but you are proposing FA, correct?

He killed it since being acquired for the Dodgers but I'd prefer someone with a stronger overall track record even if they cost more. I agree folks aren't really talking about bullpen but we could use another dependable arm. We never really replaced Jorge and it felt like that cost us a few times in the second half. 

I like Martin, and would be happy if he came here.    He was one of the Cubs '22 reliever armada signed along with Stroman last winter, so he's shown a willingness not to start out on a Dodgers-type team even if he always ends up on one if things don't work out for his First Buyer.

The Cubbies put almost $15mm on Givens 5, Robertson 3.5, Martin 2.5, and Norris-Chavez-Gsellman closer to the veteran minimum last winter, and managed to trade most after their season didn't work out.

I do believe that as staffs are configured Back to Front more this is a marketplace where some of our $$$ could go, but if our infield options are many, relief options are almost infinite.    Fingers crossed Roch won't spin a Mychal Givens-level signing as a "major" acquisition.

Edited by Just Regular

I think it's good policy to pretty much never sign a reliever in free agency, at least not for multiple years. They're so volatile. And so many good arms in the system already, we should be ok in the bullpen even if 3 or 4 of the guys from this past season fall-off or get injured.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Definitely feel a very good reliever is a need. He’s not a top priority but it’s a need.  I would rather trade Tate this offseason too.

We need a very good reliever but we should trade Tate.   So I assume that very good reliever is going to be significantly better than 2022 Dillon Tate.   Who is this guy and how much will he cost?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We need a very good reliever but we should trade Tate.   So I assume that very good reliever is going to be significantly better than 2022 Dillon Tate.   Who is this guy and how much will he cost?

2 different thoughts.

I don’t trust Tate in 2023 to be as good as he was in 2022.

That said, even if they kept him I would still want a reliever.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

2 different thoughts.

I don’t trust Tate in 2023 to be as good as he was in 2022.

That said, even if they kept him I would still want a reliever.

On the first part.  I don't really trust Tate myself but he did improve pretty much across the board from 2021 to 2022 so maybe he's just a late blooming reliever.

Good relievers who are pretty much locks to be good are going to cost something.   I don't think I want to pay it.    Internal options worked great last year.    I think you look at bringing back the bullpen and look for depth internally as well.   Guys like Cano, Vallimont, Watson, Denoyer, Armbruester.    I don't think any of those guys are true starting options.   Some might be in the rotation at Norfolk but most of them are future bullpen pitchers or nothing at all.

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

On the first part.  I don't really trust Tate myself but he did improve pretty much across the board from 2021 to 2022 so maybe he's just a late blooming reliever.

Good relievers who are pretty much locks to be good are going to cost something.   I don't think I want to pay it.    Internal options worked great last year.    I think you look at bringing back the bullpen and look for depth internally as well.   Guys like Cano, Vallimont, Watson, Denoyer, Armbruester.    I don't think any of those guys are true starting options.   Some might be in the rotation at Norfolk but most of them are future bullpen pitchers or nothing at all.

We are supposedly contending next year.  I don’t want to rely on any of those guys to be key relievers next year.  They can fight for the last 2-3 spots.

I don't think a premium reliever is really what we need to put resources into. We have Bautista, Perez, Tate, Baker and Akin. We found a number of great relievers in 2022 without paying much, and I'd rather add more of the same type to the mix than spend dollars or prospects. The bullpen has been a strength, and it's mostly the last couple spots that need help. I'd rather spend on starters and have the lower end of our current starters fall back to being bullpen arms.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We are supposedly contending next year.  I don’t want to rely on any of those guys to be key relievers next year.  They can fight for the last 2-3 spots.

I didn't say they would be key relievers.   I said those guys are probably all guys who start at Norfolk and can possibly help during the season.   We have Baker, Perez, Tate, and Bautista.   We also have Kreihble, Akin, Vespi.    If Wells and Voth are not in the rotation then they are in the bullpen where either could be a key piece.   No need to throw money at someone who may or may not earn that money.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

+1. We can't even be sure Perez, Tate, Baker, and Akin will all be 1-3 WAR guys. I'm guessing last year was a career year for at least one of that group (my money would be on Perez). Hope for the best but let's not pretend that group is a sure thing, and we no longer have top pick on the waiver wire.

2 hours ago, vab said:

I think it's good policy to pretty much never sign a reliever in free agency, at least not for multiple years. They're so volatile. And so many good arms in the system already, we should be ok in the bullpen even if 3 or 4 of the guys from this past season fall-off or get injured.  

Maybe not just A reliever, but what if you can get Danys Baez, Chad Bradford, AND Jamie Walker all in one offseason for multiple years?! 

(sorry, still unreasonably salty about that ridiculous splurge)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

+1. We can't even be sure Perez, Tate, Baker, and Akin will all be 1-3 WAR guys. I'm guessing last year was a career year for at least one of that group (my money would be on Perez). Hope for the best but let's not pretend that group is a sure thing, and we no longer have top pick on the waiver wire.

Very few relievers are sure things but you have no idea which if any of those guys had career years and which ones might actually be better next year.   So, SG wants to guess that Tate is that guy but it's just a guess.   Now, you want to pay for a "sure thing" reliever.  Good thing.  Those guys are few and far between and cost a bundle.   Otherwise, you're just "guessing" on the reliever you pick up.  He could be the one who had a good year and has the bad year next year.