Relief Pitcher Trade target

Jim'sKid26

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m halfway between the two of you.  Krehbiel had a good enough season to earn a presumptive spot in the 2023 bullpen.   It’s no sure thing that he’ll repeat 2022, though.  

I don’t like the term “dime a dozen,” though.  It’s never that easy to put together 8 relievers who post a sub-4.00 ERA.  Guys like Jake Reed, Travis Lakins Sr. and Rico Garcia are easy to find.  You’ve got to get lucky to find a Krehbiel.  

No you don’t.  His peripheral stats are nothing.  He’s not that good. You could cut him tomorrow and it wouldn’t matter.

Late to the party on this conversation, but keep in mind that we may be displacing at least a couple of patchwork rotation guys from last year into the bullpen, with GRod coming up and us (hopefully) signing a strong FA starter.  May impact how we fill out the bullpen significantly.

On 10/22/2022 at 7:18 AM, Aristotelian said:

They don't have the prime waiver position now. The only guys left this year will be guys getting passed over by teams who likely need pitching much more than us. We can't assume that strategy is going to work every year. 

I agree trading may be a good option, either in the offseason or at the deadline. I would still consider $2-$5M on an Ottavino type. 

It will be harder but not impossible.  I should say I'm not against signing a FA reliever, but I'm against a multi-year contract, or a salary above a few million.  But I'm much more interested in improving the top of the rotation, and then pushing arms down the ladder. 

7 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

Late to the party on this conversation, but keep in mind that we may be displacing at least a couple of patchwork rotation guys from last year into the bullpen, with GRod coming up and us (hopefully) signing a strong FA starter.  May impact how we fill out the bullpen significantly.

Wells is key.

He is one of many “who do you trust and what role do you trust them in”, that could impact how things are done this offseason.

I'm expecting DL Hall to spend some time in the bullpen next year.  I know the O's want him as a starter and I won't be surprised if he starts at Norfolk, but at some time the O's are going to need him and will likely put him in the bullpen.  I think he could be the other dominant bullpen guy the O's need.  He reminds me of Perez.  It doesn't mean he can't be a starter in the future.