Fangraphs: Adley Rutschman on learning to handle high heaters

Frobby

Article up on Fangraphs.  Below are some partial quotes; there’s more in the article.

“I’d say [the biggest adjustment] was learning how to cover the high pitch. More specifically, it was learning to get to a high pitch that’s in the strike zone. In college, it was typically more pitches away, where you could have that deep barrel path and be putting the ball into left center.”

“On the high pitch, you’ve got to get on plane earlier. If you’re too lofty, it’s harder to get to them. Ideally, I’m flattening out quicker, because you have less time. The perceived velocity at the top of the zone is always going to be higher than it is at the bottom, so you’ve got to make up that time. With the bottom of the zone, you can let it get a little deeper. You can let the bat lag a little bit more, because it’s easier to go the other way.”

“A lot of struggle comes with playing every single day. There are going to be days where you show up to the field and your swing feels one way — you could be in a great spot — but the very next day your swing feels completely different. It feels like your hands are in a different spot, or like your body is in a different spot, even though you’re landing the same, you’re basically doing everything the same. You need to figure out a way to make tiny critiques that allow you to feel good on that given day. And even if you don’t feel good, you need to find the mental capacity to trick yourself into feeling like you can compete. As far as hitting goes, I’d say that’s the biggest win you can get on a day-to-day basis when you’re playing so many games.”

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“A lot of struggle comes with playing every single day. There are going to be days where you show up to the field and your swing feels one way — you could be in a great spot — but the very next day your swing feels completely different. It feels like your hands are in a different spot, or like your body is in a different spot, even though you’re landing the same, you’re basically doing everything the same. You need to figure out a way to make tiny critiques that allow you to feel good on that given day. And even if you don’t feel good, you need to find the mental capacity to trick yourself into feeling like you can compete. As far as hitting goes, I’d say that’s the biggest win you can get on a day-to-day basis when you’re playing so many games.”

This is a good metaphor for life in general.

• Upvote 3

Well, no surprise but he sounds like he understands hitting very well.    If he can do what he knows he needs to do, he'll go up another level.   One of his biggest weaknesses seems to be getting to what look to be hittable fastballs, especially in fastball counts.   If he can learn to flatten out his swing, in general, but specifically on those pitches, watch out.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Article up on Fangraphs.  Below are some partial quotes; there’s more in the article.

“I’d say [the biggest adjustment] was learning how to cover the high pitch. More specifically, it was learning to get to a high pitch that’s in the strike zone. In college, it was typically more pitches away, where you could have that deep barrel path and be putting the ball into left center.”

“On the high pitch, you’ve got to get on plane earlier. If you’re too lofty, it’s harder to get to them. Ideally, I’m flattening out quicker, because you have less time. The perceived velocity at the top of the zone is always going to be higher than it is at the bottom, so you’ve got to make up that time. With the bottom of the zone, you can let it get a little deeper. You can let the bat lag a little bit more, because it’s easier to go the other way.”

When you read quotes like that from Adley, you realize the specialness of him as a player.