Possible good news on Beato

Frobby

While we're discussing Orioles pitching prospects, keep an eye on Pedro Beato this year. He was a major disappointment at Single-A Frederick, going 4-10 with 5.85 ERA in 19 starts. But he's apparently healthy now, and his fastball is up to 93 mph in the Dominican - in part because the Orioles have worked to improve his delivery.

Despite those lousy numbers in the Carolina League, there's talk of the Orioles promoting him to Double-A Bowie, where he could join Jake Arrieta, Brandon Erbe, Zach Clark and, eventually, Chorye Spoone in the Baysox's rotation.

http://www.masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

If Beato turned back into a solid prospect that would be quite a coup.

So were those the reasons for Beato's early struggles? Health and mechanics that needed improvement?

Yes. He had a couple of stints on the DL this year IIRC. And the issue concerning correcting his mechanics was reported by Will Lingo of BA about 2 months ago:

Q: Mike from Tampa asks:

What is wrong with Pedro Beato? If he's really pushing 95 with his fastball, any off-speed pitch whatsoever should yield better results than he has the past two seasons. He's been simply horrible.

A: Will Lingo: Beato is one of the players I'm most interested in seeing next year. I think some people have already written him off, and after the 2008 season that's certainly understandable to a degree. His velocity just wasn't there this season, and no one seems quite sure why. There were reports of arm trouble, but he was checked out a couple of times and no one ever found any physical problems. The Orioles worked on his delivery in instructional league and apparently his stuff was back to where it was when he was drafted. He went down to the Orioles' Dominican complex to work more, though there are no plans for him to pitch in winter ball. So we'll just have to see what we get from Beato when '09 opens.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/onlin...08110501&rnd=1

Seems like the fluff info is coming out early.

It is difficult to believe Beato was rated inside the top 15 (IIRC) in the 06 draft since he has performed terribly. We will have to see how much an affect it has on his results. If Beato regained some prospect status, it would indeed be a boost to the system.

We have some major question marks in Spoone, Beato and Patton, we'll see if we can get something decent out of that group.

If this delivery issue is true, it makes me wonder why it wasn't discovered during the season last year. It was obvious that the kid had lost velocity. Do you mean to tell me that someone couldn't have figured this out over a start or two?

I hope this is accurate. If it is, it tells me two things...one is that Beato might still be in the picture...and two...that our minor league development staff needs a lot of improvement.

Despite those lousy numbers in the Carolina League, there's talk of the Orioles promoting him to Double-A Bowie, where he could join Jake Arrieta, Brandon Erbe, Zach Clark and, eventually, Chorye Spoone in the Baysox's rotation.

If that is Bowie's rotation, I guess we see Bergenson, Hernandez, Patton. Tillman, Berken in AAA. Am I missing anyone?

If that is Bowie's rotation, I guess we see Bergenson, Hernandez, Patton. Tillman, Berken in AAA. Am I missing anyone?

You're forgetting the guys like Penn / Liz who might or might not make the major league rotation, and also there's Bass / Waters / Hennessey, some of those guys will probably start while others might get cut or sent to the bullpen.

You're forgetting the guys like Penn / Liz who might or might not make the major league rotation, and also there's Bass / Waters / Hennessey, some of those guys will probably start while others might get cut or sent to the bullpen.

Ahh....the sound of DEPTH. It's getting closer, almost ready to knock down the door in Baltimore.

This year, we have Bergeson, Hernandez, Patton, Tillman, and Berkan (plus Arrieta) would all have a good shot at being on the roster in some capacity at some point this year. Most, if not all, of them will be up and down (like Liz/Olson in '07) and maybe 1 or 2 will stick. Then next year, we'll have Matusz, Erbe, Spoone, and others knocking on Baltimore's door. This is the depth we've been talking about for years. Pitchers are going to have to actually force their way onto the O's come 2010 or 2011.

Some knocks on our player development in another thread, but this thread sure has a LOT of pitchers moving through our system with good success.

It sure is nice to ponder that Beato might regain some prospect status - so nice I had to post it again.

I'm pulling for Hennessey, dude has a bad-a** name. Maybe we can make-up a nick-name for him, like "Charcoal Filtered" or something!;)

If this delivery issue is true, it makes me wonder why it wasn't discovered during the season last year. It was obvious that the kid had lost velocity. Do you mean to tell me that someone couldn't have figured this out over a start or two?

I hope this is accurate. If it is, it tells me two things...one is that Beato might still be in the picture...and two...that our minor league development staff needs a lot of improvement.

It could also say that they figured it out and told Beato, who ignored them. It's a common problem with baseball pitchers who were high school superstars and then start to get eaten up in the pros. Some have to be smacked around like a pinata before they change their ways.

He's a 20, 21 year old guy with past success being told by someone old enough to be his father that he has to change before he can hang with the big guys. That's not always a smooth scenario.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but I wouldn't jump to the other conclusion either.

A young unsophisticated kid from the Dominican comes to the States without the support group of friends, family and culture that he's comfortable with and regresses. It's understandable and probably no coincidence that he regained his form when he returned to the DR.

Relocating your life to an alien culture, and doing it alone, can be difficult. If that's his problem, he can overcome it. Let's watch him with optimism.

Archived