Orioles 2022 #4 Prospect DL Hall - LHP

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but you said he was bad all year.  That’s not true and that’s Tony’s point.

He was bad for stretches of the season but he was also pretty dominant for other stretches.

It was an overall disappointing year but I would love to go back to what happened in July.  He was pitching well and then the break came and then he had the 1 inning start and then more time off and things kind of unraveled after that.  Would love to know why it was handled that way. 

After 4 straight good starts in July,  he threw 1 inning over a 9 day period.  His next outing, he was awful, giving up 6 runs in .2 innings.  Now, that wasn’t the plan I’m sure but he just got rocked.  Over a 16 day period, he only threw 1.2 innings.  After that, he just kind of struggled until he came up here for the pen.

I didn’t think the stuff was impressive at all when he came up for the start so obviously something was going on because lack of stuff is certainly not his issue, either by stats or opinion.

Tony mentioned a dead arm.  Perhaps that was the issue.  I don’t know but obviously something was an issue.

He was handled strangely during that time, including getting that major league start when he wasn't pitching great, but I'm fairly certain he was experiencing some of the dead arm that pitchers sometimes go through at mid season. 

Even when he was in the majors, he wasn't throwing as hard as we've seen him throw earlier in the season. I think next spring we're going to see that 97-99 guy. Now whether he can maintain that over a season with a starter's workload is another question.

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Yeah that was my thought too. But that still requires some planning. 5x28=140. And that doesn’t get him onto a potential playoff rotation. 

Does he go to the Bullpen when Means comes back? Obviously that assumes Means is pitching well and the other members of the rotation are on point.

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yeah that was my thought too. But that still requires some planning. 5x28=140. And that doesn’t get him onto a potential playoff rotation. 

Well like I said, I think they need to be managed some but some people have talked about 100ish innings and stuff like that.

Its not that drastic. 

• 1 month later...

Rotographs Jeff Zimmermann picked an arm speed nit about his curveball, but it is his 4th pitch probably these days.

In his small sample, his three main pitches got decent results and were in the strike zone (the results on the curve are garbage).

DL Hall’s Pitch Results
Pitch Usage SwStr% GB% Zone%
Four-seam 52% 11% 57% 60%
Slider 22% 21% 31% 64%
Change 20% 16% 38% 53%
Curve 6% 0% 100% 38%

His top three pitches all graded out as average or better on their results. According to prospect reports, his curve was supposed to be his best pitch probably based on its above-average velocity (81 mph) and spin (2600 rpm). After watching some video, he slows his arm a ton on the curve compared to other pitches. Hitters aren’t fooled and are just taking the pitch.

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/deep-league-starting-pitchers-rodriguez-pivetta-hall-german/

• Upvote 2