Who would you take with the #1 pick

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does it seem like this happens to us every year.

BAL probably got the best hitter in the draft in '07 and probably got the best pitcher in the draft in '08. Not sure why this seems to be a prevailing thought with regards to the players available to BAL.

i would think that matzek compares more as clayton kershaw more than hamels

IIRC Kershaw can hit 97+ with relative ease. Matzek hasn't shown the ability to hit high 90's. Everything I've read about him says he tops out around 93ish. I'd still want Matzek if available, but Kershaws power makes him a bona fide potential ace., Matzek doesn't quite have that so other things will need to come into play for him to be considered as high of a prospect. Such as: location, combination of 3-4 plus pitches, and a solid swing and miss out pitch.

IIRC Kershaw can hit 97+ with relative ease. Matzek hasn't shown the ability to hit high 90's. Everything I've read about him says he tops out around 93ish. I'd still want Matzek if available, but Kershaws power makes him a bona fide potential ace., Matzek doesn't quite have that so other things will need to come into play for him to be considered as high of a prospect. Such as: location, combination of 3-4 plus pitches, and a solid swing and miss out pitch.

Exactly right. The reason I didn't use Kershaw was velocity. Now, I think Matzek has the potential to add velo, but right now it's closer to Hamels than it is to Kershaw. Also, Kershaw doesn't have the four pitch mix. He dominates off of the strength of two flash plus-plus pitches rather than three to four above-average to plus.

However, I'd disagree with you if you are saying you don't think Matzek is a potential ace. To me, his tool set is exactly what you'd look for in a HSer that can develop into a #1.

Exactly right. The reason I didn't use Kershaw was velocity. Now, I think Matzek has the potential to add velo, but right now it's closer to Hamels than it is to Kershaw. Also, Kershaw doesn't have the four pitch mix. He dominates off of the strength of two flash plus-plus pitches rather than three to four above-average to plus.

However, I'd disagree with you if you are saying you don't think Matzek is a potential ace. To me, his tool set is exactly what you'd look for in a HSer that can develop into a #1.

Which is what makes it hard for me to take Alex White ahead of Matzek. I'd be fine with White if that's who we take (more of a sure thing), but I'd be happier if we land Matzek.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived