Prepare yourselves for Hosmer

interloper

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I think most people don’t trust Hyder to sit the veteran who sucks, like with Odor last year. My concern is he’ll cost Stowers ABs. 

A very legitimate concern.   Would love to see Stowers get the RF job and move Santander for a starting pitcher.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why would you compare someone who signed the biggest deal in franchise history to someone who would be a backup making the minimum? 

If Hosmer displays any of the traits you describe he is released and they move on. This is a bench/depth move if it happens. Nothing more. 

Chris Davis was a part time player at the end too. They were both once productive. They both signed big deals and became very different players. Chris Davis had at least one big run-in with Brandon Hyde. 

As a veteran player, with a ring, he will have some impact here if he signs. He is probably not a complete tool. I pointed out some things, but there is a case to say he could come here and contribute in a role you mentioned. That would require some changes in how coachable he has been. He would have to work hard on conditioning and his defense. Otherwise, I do not see him having any positive value, just like Chris Davis.

The Padres could not wait to get rid of him. They became a better team when he left. The Red Sox released him when no other team wanted anything to do with him. I don’t see anything to indicate he’s ready to change. 

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Is there really that much of a need to target Hosmer for a backup role with the current organizational depth capable of playing 1B/DH. 

Who is the backup 1B currently on the roster? McCann? Who is also the backup C. Nobody else has any 1B experience. 

This is a specific fit, role type opening. If they sign him it is to fit a role. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Chris Davis was a part time player at the end too. They were both once productive. They both signed big deals and became very different players. Chris Davis had at least one big run-in with Brandon Hyde. 

As a veteran player, with a ring, he will have some impact here if he signs. He is probably not a complete tool. I pointed out some things, but there is a case to say he could come here and contribute in a role you mentioned. That would require some changes in how coachable he has been. He would have to work hard on conditioning and his defense. Otherwise, I do not see him having any positive value, just like Chris Davis.

The Padres could not wait to get rid of him. They became a better team when he left. The Red Sox released him when no other team wanted anything to do with him. I don’t see anything to indicate he’s ready to change. 

I also don't see him as a guy who has a home before ST starts.  It's perplexing why the Orioles would be considering him at this point.  I can't imagine the Hosmer suitors are a strong group.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Who is the backup 1B currently on the roster? McCann? Who is also the backup C. Nobody else has any 1B experience. 

This is a specific fit, role type opening. If they sign him it is to fit a role. 

They need to be working Stowers, Westburg, and Santander at 1B. Not signing an awful player, who sounds like he’s just as terrible of a person. 

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

If he wants to keep playing he will have to produce and be a good teammate. Why would a team sign him and keep him if he isn’t playing well and is a jerk? 

The Padres traded for Bell. He didn’t play well either.  I’m not here to defend Hosmer. His contract was a joke. The role he would play here would be a limited one. Any team he signs with owes him nothing. He isn’t being handed 500 at bats. 

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I think most people don’t trust Hyder to sit the veteran who sucks, like with Odor last year. My concern is he’ll cost Stowers ABs. 

Odor would have sat if Vavra could play 2B at an average level. Vavra certainly has a better bat. They tried to do so. They even played Henderson there with no preparation, a terrible idea. And they came back to Odor, who showed he was willing to cut his swing down and hit singles to LCF sometimes.

I keep seeing this criticism of Hyde, and maybe he deserves it. But I just ask to show me who beat out Odor at 2B in 2022? I thought maybe Urias would be there with Henderson at 3B, but Urias did not hit well either at the end of the season. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

They need to be working Stowers, Westburg, and Santander at 1B. Not signing an awful player, who sounds like he’s just as terrible of a person. 

Exactly and maybe Hosmer has a bad personality, but I don’t care about that. His performance has been in decline the last several years and the O’s have multiple players who can learn 1B. This isn’t shortstop where you need a certain profile of player to play the position.

I get not everyone can play 1B either, but I have hard time believing someone already in the system isn’t capable of being Mountcastle’s backup. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

They are not going to be playing Westburg in a limited role. He is either playing everyday at AAA or in Baltimore. 

They could try one of those two in the spring. There is no guarantee it works. 

At the end of the day the focus from some on this board seems to be about how many at bats a young player gets. Elias is trying to make the best roster he can. There is no risk in a move like this. No harm.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He can fundamentally disagree with it all he likes but at the end of the day he has stated his goal is to build a team that can win in the AL East.

You need pitching to do that and since he doesn't want to draft it...

I have supported the rebuild all the way up to this point and still will moving forward, but this has been the worry in the back of mind: how will we bring in better pitchers.

It is true that our pitching situation is a lot better now top to bottom than it was in 2019 when Elias took over. Part of me wonders if there won't be an explosion of Latin talent within the next 3 years as the international pipeline finally delivers MLB ready talent. Perhaps he uses the next draft to pick a few pitchers as this will be Elias' first draft where he won't be picking in the top 4.  When the time is right, I believe he will trade for young, controllable starters as well.  In the meantime, we're thin on pitching depth

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If he wants to keep playing he will have to produce and be a good teammate. Why would a team sign him and keep him if he isn’t playing well and is a jerk? 

The Padres traded for Bell. He didn’t play well either.  I’m not here to defend Hosmer. His contract was a joke. The role he would play here would be a limited one. Any team he signs with owes him nothing. He isn’t being handed 500 at bats. 

Why add him in the first place, then? No one is going to be productive in limited at bats. He has had chances to improve, and shown no willingness to do so. That’s the thing. This isn’t a new criticism of him. I guess we’ll just disagree, my friend. I’d rather have them pick up Lewin Diaz again.

Hosmer does make good contact for a big guy, and his exit velos are decent to good. However, he’s an extreme ground ball hitter. He always has been, and he has refused to do so for years. The Orioles do value contact more than in years past, according to Eve Rosenbaum. The Orioles also value defense and flexibility. His defense is limited to 1B, and that is bad these days. To be a DH and occasional 1B, he would need to produce. I just don’t see the net positive impact he would have. 

50 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The mentions here that Brandon Belt's body is broken are new to me - if he's upright I like him better for this Club, but if he's not then unless you really like Dominic Smith, Hosmer may be the best talent for the role before trades.

This. I wanted to pursue Belt but a few on here said he was busted.

I can't find anything recent about his injury and rehab. I did see this article in Sept where he said his knee felt great after sugery https://theathletic.com/3595695/2022/09/14/brandon-belt-knee-surgery-contract/

He was shifted 85.2% of the time. If he's healthy enough to play 1B 1-2 times and DH 2-3 times a week. I want Belt over Hosmer

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1