2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yep, just realize I miscounted and was coming back to correct but you beat me to it.

I think 7 ties our season high.

We love R/L matchups. I've been wondering if Westburg's extreme reverse splits are a reason we don't seem to be as high on him. Stowers had them as well and the team refused to use him against lefties when we called him up. 

I'm beating a very dead horse, but this is a big game and I'm certain O'Hearn in RF and Lester at 1B is not the best this organization is capable of tonight. Hopefully O'Hearn will make a great play in right and Lester will have 3 RBIs to prove me wrong. But I'm disappointed right now.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'm beating a very dead horse, but this is a big game and I'm certain O'Hearn in RF and Lester at 1B is not the best this organization is capable of tonight. Hopefully O'Hearn will make a great play in right and Lester will have 3 RBIs to prove me wrong. But I'm disappointed right now.

Absolutely agree, the team is short a COF and Hyde has been using that to play Vavra, Frazier, O'Hearn there. Cowser can't get better and promoted fast enough

1 hour ago, luismatos4prez said:

I wonder if we'll try to do better for RAYS games next week.     It looks like Taj Bradley throws one of them, and I know Norfolk got him once as he's bounced between AAA and MLB so far this year.

Big decisions for tomorrows lineup. It's a day game right before travel, plus the team is facing a LHP, so that likely means James McCann will be catching.  Where the decisions become tough is trying to decide who will get to DH, because if the force Adley into the DH, that would make it tight trying to find a way to play Ortiz whom they just called up. Mateo and Urias have very good career numbers against Kikuchi. And you would probably want to keep Gunnar in the game because he's been on a heater and you need more than 1 lefty, assuming O'Hearn is playing 1st Base.

Ryan McKenna also has good career numbers against Kikuchi, but I would feel more confident in playing an outfield of Hays/Hicks/Santander and having Rutschmen or Henderson DH than I would about the chances of McKenna at the plate.

This is a big game for the series against a key division rival. Management has their work cut out for them with these decisions.

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Big decisions for tomorrows lineup. It's a day game right before travel, plus the team is facing a LHP, so that likely means James McCann will be catching.  Where the decisions become tough is trying to decide who will get to DH, because if the force Adley into the DH, that would make it tight trying to find a way to play Ortiz whom they just called up. Mateo and Urias have very good career numbers against Kikuchi. And you would probably want to keep Gunnar in the game because he's been on a heater and you need more than 1 lefty, assuming O'Hearn is playing 1st Base.

Ryan McKenna also has good career numbers against Kikuchi, but I would feel more confident in playing an outfield of Hays/Hicks/Santander and having Rutschmen or Henderson DH than I would about the chances of McKenna at the plate.

This is a big game for the series against a key division rival. Management has their work cut out for them with these decisions.

Adley had a full off day recently. My prediction would be we will see him at DH or at least as a PH. Maybe rest Gunnar to start but use him as a PH for Ortiz or Mateo at the first opportunity. Hicks is slightly better vs LHP for his career. I would definitely start him over McKenna. Santander is even more so. Only way McKenna should be in the lineup is if Adley needs to rest and Santander DH. 

The thing about Hyde is the starting lineup doesn't matter much because he is going to use his bench early and often, especially against a guy like Kikuchi who doesn't usually last beyond 6.

Yeah I was interested to see who would play 1B against a LHP. Being able to comfortably plug in Urias or Santander there would be a welcome development with Mountcastle struggling and on IL with an unknown timeline and O'Hearn's lack of a sustained track record. 

Very good defensive infield today. 

I'd love to see Ortiz play against all LHP at 2B moving forward, and at SS more regularly against RHP, phasing out Mateo unless Mateo has another super hot streak in him coming up soon.

I hope Ortiz is finally up for good, it makes us a much better and deeper team. Once Cowser and Westburg are finally up, and once Mullins comes back, then we'll really be in business.

Edited by Brooks The Great