2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s a part of managing that involves keeping all the players involved and content.   I think that’s why McCann gets the occasional DH game.  He’s a veteran and they want to keep him a bit more involved than just being the backup C.  In a vacuum, that may not be the best choice on a given day, but in the long run it may help the team.   Anyway, I think that’s the rationale here.  

I think he gets the occasional DH game because they talked to him when they traded for him and assured him he wouldn't be just a backup catcher.  Probably made the trade easier to take.

On 4/12/2023 at 4:54 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Do you want an optimistic Intelligence Analyst?

And thanks, I wasn't at personal risk like a lot of others were.

LOL...  Small World

I too am a US Army Vet

I maintained Intelligence Gathering Equipment

Now you've got my curiosity up about MOS

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s a part of managing that involves keeping all the players involved and content.   I think that’s why McCann gets the occasional DH game.  He’s a veteran and they want to keep him a bit more involved than just being the backup C.  In a vacuum, that may not be the best choice on a given day, but in the long run it may help the team.   Anyway, I think that’s the rationale here.  

Also if he is getting consistent reps he is more likely to be productive when he is catching. It's not just an ego thing, it's about keeping everyone sharp and he is an important member of the team.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Also if he is getting consistent reps he is more likely to be productive when he is catching. It's not just an ego thing, it's about keeping everyone sharp and he is an important member of the team.

So why don't all other backup catchers get time at other positions?

I was happy that Brandon Hyde gave Austin Hays a chance in the #3 spot. That litterly won the game today because it brought Hays up with runners on to drive in the winnint run, just in time. If he was farther down the order like usual, Hays wouldn't have had the opportunity in that spot. But he got the opportunity and capitalized on it.

Also, much respect to Kyle Bradish and Felix Bautista today for their pitching performances to give the Orioles the chance they needed to win. 

25 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I did not say anything about every backup catcher. McCann has a track record of hitting LHPs. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's below replacement level.

It doesn't make sense to me.

The last two seasons McCann's OPS against LHP is .324 in 2022 and .522 in 2023. It's time to end this experiment of using him as an occasional DH against LHP.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The last two seasons McCann's OPS against LHP is .324 in 2022 and .522 in 2023. It's time to end this experiment of using him as an occasional DH against LHP.

Yikes is it really that bad? Ok, you guys have me convinced. Still wouldn't be surprised to see it some more.

The only time I want to see McCann in the lineup are days when Adley isn't catching. McCann's role should be strictly catching or rarely playing 1st base to provide relief. 

I agree... end the DH experiment. It's not working and McCann seems to have been infected with the dreaded "Wrong Side of Age 30" blues.