Cambria Classic 2023

I’m in Minneapolis to watch the Cambria Classic this weekend.  The teams playing are Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Hawaii.  I’m excited to get eyes on the following players:

-Jacob Gonzalez SS Ole Miss

-Enrique Bradfield Jr. CF Vanderbilt 

-Patrick Reilly RHP Vanderbilt 

-Kemp Alderman OF Ole Miss

*former Bethesda Big Train player a friend of mine housed two summers ago

-Calvin Harris C Ole Miss 

-Max Anderson 3B Nebraska 

-Hunter Owen LHP Vanderbilt 

-Jack Bulger C Vanderbilt 

*Maryland boy from DeMatha 2x MD Gatorade player of year 

-Brice Matthews 3B Nebraska 

-Will Semb RHP Minnesota 

-And of course all the Maryland Boys;

Shaw, Schliger, Savacool

I’ll update this thread with pics (if I can figure that out :) ) and info on the players above.  Anyone  interested in any players or any teams in the Classic, let me know and will be happy to be eyes and ears on the ground.  I’m especially excited for see Bradfield, Gonzalez, and Harris.  Have watched them on TV but have never seen them play in person before.  

BTW - from the outside US Bank stadium looks amazing.  Can’t wait to see what it looks like from the inside.  Pretty cool perk for the kids that play at University of Minnesota.  OMG it’s sooooo cold!!!

Edited by emmett16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

What’s over/under on how many bases he steals?  That kid has some serious wheels.  

Based on his historical rate, the over/under is around 2.1. 

I hadn't looked at his 2023 stats this year until now.  He's not off to the best start.  Even SB-wise...  5 SB and 3 CS.  Compared to 90+ SB and 6 CS from his first two years in Vandy.  I'll go with 4 SBs.

I don't think he fits the Elias mold of hard hitters, but his speed/CF is a unique skillset that's thin in the org.  That's why I'm interested in his hitting.  He's got patience, but would love to see his line vs. only the top tier pitchers (Dollander, Skenes...) to know how padded the OBP is.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Based on his historical rate, the over/under is around 2.1. 

I hadn't looked at his 2023 stats this year until now.  He's not off to the best start.  Even SB-wise...  5 SB and 3 CS.  Compared to 90+ SB and 6 CS from his first two years in Vandy.  I'll go with 4 SBs.

I don't think he fits the Elias mold of hard hitters, but his speed/CF is a unique skillset that's thin in the org.  That's why I'm interested in his hitting.  He's got patience, but would love to see his line vs. only the top tier pitchers (Dollander, Skenes...) to know how padded the OBP is.

He’s struggling.  Doesn’t looK like his pitch selection skills are top notch.  Swung and got himself out on some Bad pitches and took some drivable pitches.  Took his bad ABs out into the field and made a couple blunders.  Lost a ball in the ceiling (very tough ceiling) and didn’t back up LF diving for a ball and it split them and went to the fence.  Just one game but not a very good showing today.  Will see how he bounces back tomorrow.   

Edited by emmett16
  • Thanks 1

Max Anderson 3B Nebraska is a thick dude.  Short strong stroke.  Had fantastic ABs and hit the ball hard consistently.  
 Brice Matthews Nebraska played SS. He’s a very solidly built kid for a MI.  Not a very fluid swing.  Wasn’t super impressed, but he did smoke a double to gap to blow game open.  Gets way out on his front foot, he’ll need to make some adjustments for the next level. Nebraska upset #7 Vandy.  Good game, everyone is having trouble with the ceiling.  Every fly ball is an adventure and the ball is absolutely flying.   All 3 HRs hit were bombs.  

• Upvote 1

Jacob Gonzalez SS Ole Miss is a player.  He looks the part.  6’3” 200 and smooth in the field & runs well.  Didn’t show off a great arm (in game), thought on a couple occasions he would come up firing but didn’t see great arm strength.  Wonder if he didn’t have a good handle or footing on those throws.  In warm ups the arm looked strong. 

At the plate he looks like an Elias guy.  He did not swing at anything he couldn’t drive until 2 strikes.  Had two hits on 2 strikes counts.  Was never off balance and it was clear he saw the ball well and wasn’t getting fooled.   Tough to do against Savacool.   He was by far the best player on the field today.  I was very impressed and excited to see him again.  We know how Elias likes his SS, might be a guy to keep an eye on.  

Savacool did not have his A game.  I can’t imagine having to pitch to Ole Miss’ lineup twice in the same week.  Tough order to fill.  

Kemp Alderman took him deep on an oppo shot that was still rising when it hit the stands.  I really wish I could get an EV reading on that ball.  I have a video of it and will try to upload it.  It was impressive.  Alderman has some serious juice.  He’s off to a hot start with 3 HR and a ton of hits.  He is built like a linebacker, he is absolutely jacked.  6’3” 250 w/o an ounce of fat on his body.  He played a really solid LF.  Made a couple tough plays (considering the roof).  He plays a little C as well.  When he played for Bethesda Big Train he played 1b.  Heck of an athlete for a big guy, very flexible, agile, and mobile for a guy his size.  Pretty cool to see a guy having success who came out to watch my 9u squad a couple years ago.  He’s an incredibly nice guy and is driven to succeed.   Very simple, compact, and powerful stroke.  He does not get cheated.  

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2023 at 1:09 PM, emmett16 said:

He’s struggling.  Doesn’t looK like his pitch selection skills are top notch.  Swung and got himself out on some Bad pitches and took some drivable pitches.  Took his bad ABs out into the field and made a couple blunders.  Lost a ball in the ceiling (very tough ceiling) and didn’t back up LF diving for a ball and it split them and went to the fence.  Just one game but not a very good showing today.  Will see how he bounces back tomorrow.   

First pitch of game he took deep to LF (oppo).   Made it out easy.  Blasted one foul down the RF line in the nextbAB.  He has a lot more power than I thought.  Struck out a couple more times.  Looks like he guesses up there.  

Matt Shaw SS Maryland can hit.  I’ve seen him play a good bit and he always impresses.  He was struggling to start season but broke out in a big way.  I don’t know if he has the arm or range to stick at SS but he would be an absolute offensive weapon as a 2B.  He hits the ball hard often.  

• Thanks 1