Cambria Classic 2023

On 3/3/2023 at 8:29 PM, RZNJ said:

Jacob Gonzalez is currently projected to go top 10, possibly top 5.

He is a hit machine.  Very very tough out.  Multiple hits with 2 strikes on very tough pitches.  He lets the ball get super deep and can flick it into LF with ease.  

Got thrown out stealing 3rd w/no outs.  Lot of base running blunders, not sure if that’s on the coach or the player.  

He can pick it in the field, but again didn’t see a lot of arm strength.  He might have to play 2b at next level.  Don’t know if he has the arm strength for 3b.  Early in season and never know how they are feeling or what’s going on.  Coach’s throw the best guy out there regardless if they are 70% or 100% a lot of time.  

One thing I like about college ball is all the folly, odd plays, bunting, and some trickery.  Such a fast game and always entertaining when two good teams are playing.  

Edited by emmett16

Home from a fantastic weekend spent with my father and son.  I plan to update this thread with some notes I took over the weekend.  All in all, there are a lot of good players.  I tried to focus on draft eligible players.  Not sure if there were any draft eligible sophomores or not without taking a deeper look.  There were quite a few sophomores that's looked great as well.  There was a very high level of baseball played.  Nebraska looks like they will be a very tough team to beat this year.  The Golden Gophers don't have any Ws yet but played everyone tight.  Hawaii really surprised me; they had a lot of talented kids.  And well, Ole Miss is Ole Miss and Vandy is Vandy.  Great weekend spent, I highly recommend the Cambria Classic, visiting US Bank stadium, and visiting Minneapolis.  Some good old fashioned mid-west hospitality is always nice.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this article on SEC performers. 

Top rising prospect — Kemp Alderman, Ole Miss

Alderman was ranked the No. 66 prospect in our Preseason College Top 100, and he's a guy who could certainly see himself climbing up draft boards with a strong showing during conference play. Alderman, a 6-foot-3, 250-pounder, has formed from a power hitter into a complete hitter with massive raw power. How good has Alderman been so far this season for one of the nation's premier offenses? He's hitting .391 (he hit .286 last season) with three doubles, eight home runs and 28 RBIs. He also has walked 11 times and struck out just 10, and is carrying a 1.287 OPS. His OBP is almost 100 points better than where he finished last season as well. It's an expected rise for the talented junior slugger.

Edited by emmett16

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Shaw just keeps getting better.  Supposed to be a fantastic guy and hard worker.  He mashes.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrZjw6UphaJ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Listed at 5'11".  From the context I've seen (which admittedly is limited), that seems a couple inches generous.  Seems to have solid speed.  How's his defense?  

Google-fu brought back this article.  Sounds like a competitor!

Matt Shaw is an offensive superstar. His defense has questions, but he’s working to erase them. | Terrapin Sports Central

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Listed at 5'11".  From the context I've seen (which admittedly is limited), that seems a couple inches generous.  Seems to have solid speed.  How's his defense?  

Google-fu brought back this article.  Sounds like a competitor!

Matt Shaw is an offensive superstar. His defense has questions, but he’s working to erase them. | Terrapin Sports Central

He’s average speed for a pro, but he gets some SBs.  His baseball IQ gets him some extra bases.  The D isn’t great.  His arm is not super strong, doesn’t have incredible range, but makes the average play.  He will have to hit and hit some more to be an impact MLBer but, that’s what he does.  

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He’s average speed for a pro, but he gets some SBs.  His baseball IQ gets him some extra bases.  The D isn’t great.  His arm is not super strong, doesn’t have incredible range, but makes the average play.  He will have to hit and hit some more to be an impact MLBer but, that’s what he does.  

He sounds like a solid player offensively and he hit with power with wood bats on the Cape which is always a good sign.   I just think they Orioles will go in a different direction.    Shaw is a lot like Norby.   Probably too much like Norby.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

He sounds like a solid player offensively and he hit with power with wood bats on the Cape which is always a good sign.   I just think they Orioles will go in a different direction.    Shaw is a lot like Norby.   Probably too much like Norby.

I completely agree.  I just think he will be a sneaky good pick in the lower part of round 1.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...