Melewski’s Top 20 International Prospect List

RZNJ

We know that Basallo is #1.     The top 20 comes out over the next few days.   Here goes my list.

1. Samuel Basallo  C

2. Aiden Almeyda  SS

3. Frederick Bencosme  SS/2B

4. Cesar Prieto  2B/3B

5. Braylin Tavera  CF

6. Aron Estrada 2B

7. Juan De Los Santos RHP

8. Raul Rangel  RHP

9.  Jean Pinto  RHP

10. Moises Chace  RHP

11.  Anderson De Los Santos 3B

12. Leandro Arias SS

13. Deivy Cruz LHP

14. Juan Núñez RHP

15. Raylin Ramos RF

16. Edwin Amparo  SS

17. Maikol Hernandez SS

18. Jean Mata CF

19. Cristian Benavides SS

20. Stiven Acevedo OF

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

Guys who have appeared on O’s lists:

OH: Basallo 11, Bencosme 17, Tavera 20, Prieto 24, Amparo 28, Arias 29, De Los Santos 33, Pinto 34, Rangel 39, Chace 41, DeLeon 42, Nunez 43, Vega 44, Cruz 46, Rojas 48, Benavides 49, Feliz 52, Acevedo 53, Cano 58, Valdez 64, Bellony 65, Ramos 66, DeLeon 67, Sosa 70, Frias 74.  (Note: I moved everyone after Basallo up one spot in Tony’s rank numbers because Hernaiz is no longer an Oriole prospect.)

Fangraphs: Basallo 14, Benscome 15, Arias 17, Prieto 27, Pinto 36.

BA: Basallo 15, Almeyda 21, Prieto 25, Bencosme 29, De Los Santos 30.

MLB Pipeline: Basallo 12, Prieto 18, Bencosme 22, Tavera 25, Almeyda 26, Hernandez 27, Arias 28.

Law: Basallo 15, Bencosme 17, Tavera 20.

On the Verge: Basallo 16, Almeyda 19, Bencosme 23, Pinto 24, Prieto 25, Arias 29, Cruz 32, Tavera 33, Hernandez 38, Deson 39, A. De Los Santos 42, J. De Los Santos 44, Rojas 45, Estrada 47, Amparo 48, De Leon 49.

Not a ton of consensus once you get past Basallo.  Bencosme rates 2-4 on all these lists.  Prieto ranks 2-5 on all but Law, who only rated 20 players total and only 3 international guys.  

19 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We know that Basallo is #1.     The top 20 comes out over the next few days.   Here goes my list.

1. Samuel Basallo  C

2. Aiden Almeyda  SS

3. Frederick Bencosme  SS/2B

4. Cesar Prieto  2B/3B

5. Braylin Tavera  CF

6. Aron Estrada 2B

7. Juan De Los Santos RHP

8. Raul Rangel  RHP

9.  Jean Pinto  RHP

10. Moises Chace  RHP

11.  Anderson De Los Santos 3B

12. Leandro Arias SS

13. Deivy Cruz LHP

14. Juan Núñez RHP

15. Raylin Ramos RF

16. Edwin Amparo  SS

17. Maikol Hernandez SS

18. Jean Mata CF

19. Cristian Benavides SS

20. Stiven Acevedo OF

Melewski came out with his top ten.   All are on my top 20 and my top 6 are also in his top ten.   Melewski’s top ten.

1) Basallo

2) Bencosme

3) Prieto

4) Almeyda

5) Hernandez

6) A. De Los Santos

7) Tavera

😎 Arias

9) Estrada

10) Benavides

Surprised to see Hernandez that high.  Melewski comments:

“the club is still a big believer in his talents, and the O's brass feel he will find it with his bat this year. His defense is very good: Think 55 fielding grade with a 60 arm. His hands are really good and he has a solid internal game clock.”

So, the defense is there, apparently, and that’s always a top priority at SS.   I still couldn’t put him that high even assuming he’s the best defensive SS we have in the international group (which he may or may not be).   

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Surprised to see Hernandez that high.  Melewski comments:

“the club is still a big believer in his talents, and the O's brass feel he will find it with his bat this year. His defense is very good: Think 55 fielding grade with a 60 arm. His hands are really good and he has a solid internal game clock.”

So, the defense is there, apparently, and that’s always a top priority at SS.   I still couldn’t put him that high even assuming he’s the best defensive SS we have in the international group (which he may or may not be).   

Yeah, they could just be blowing smoke but it gives me hope if they’re still that high on him.   I almost didn’t even include him in the entire top 20.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, they could just be blowing smoke but it gives me hope if they’re still that high on him.   I almost didn’t even include him in the entire top 20.

Tony ranked 25 guys and didn’t include Hernandez.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just mean the 25 guys he ranked in his top 75.   See my earlier post in this thread listing them.  

Alfred Vega is one guy I missed.  He’s probably a top 20 guy.  Saw some video of him and he looks good.  

I believe I mentioned 4 who don’t show up on Melewski’s 20. 

Jean Pinto
Edwin Amparo

Jean Mata

Stiven Acevedo

Mata and Amparo finished the DSL with great a great August.   Acevedo and Mishael Deson could be lumped together.  Both 20 yo outfielders with some potential who will probably repeat Delmarva this year after flopping there last year.