Adam Frazier 2023

Frobby

Just now, Brooks The Great said:

For the salary, that production makes him a scrub. I've qualified that in previous posts, but not specifically in that one you quoted. Although I did point out that he's overpaid - which he most certainly is - in that particular post.

I honestly would much prefer Odor and his production for his salary last year to Frazier's production and salary that year, and that's a pathetic reflection of Frazier and the decision Elias made to sign him.

In my opinion, salary is irrelevant to whether you are a scrub.  You’re a decent player, or you’re not.  I think Frazier is a much better player than Odor.  Is he worth $8 mm?  Debatable, but he’s worth a good bit more than Odor.  

it will be interesting to see where Frazier lands next season and what sone team is willing to pay him.  

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Right now, his slash is identical to his 2022 with Seattle with exception of his slugging, which is .100 points higher (.410 vs .311). 

So, while I don't think we're looking at a return to his All Star form, we are definitely getting a more useful player than what Seattle had, at least for the moment.

Other things of interest:

2022 OAA - 91 percentile
2023 OAA - 2 percentile

2022 Arm Strength - 61 
2023 Arm Strength - 5

His xSLG, xwOBA, and Barrel are all slightly up this year, but all still pretty blue. 

Something appears to be killing him with the OAA and Arm Strength compared to last year. It's so drastic a drop off to almost seem erroneous. His arm does seem weak, but can it really be that much weaker than last year?

There's absolutely no way in hell he went from one 91 percentile to 2 percentile.  Didn't happen.  This is why people should be a lot more skeptical about the "stats" particularly defensive ones.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Anybody who pines for Odor because Frazier is costing the Angelos family just a little too much.....

I honestly just can't wrap my mind around that.

It depends on whether the team would have spent the $7.3 mm on someone else, and if so, who.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It depends on whether the team would have spent the $7.3 mm on someone else, and if so, who.  

Well you have to factor in that Odor actually provided negative value last year.

Adam Frazier's contract is not stopping this team from doing anything financially.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

That’s what I think.

I understand what you think.  Me and you are pretty much on the same page, and have been the whole time, regarding the Frazier saga.

What I can't understand is wanting to see Odor in a O's uniform again.  I literally can't fathom it.

15 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Anybody who pines for Odor because Frazier is costing the Angelos family just a little too much.....

I honestly just can't wrap my mind around that.

The main issue I had with the Frazier signing is if the Orioles are on a tight payroll then that $8M could be spent elsewhere with Westburg and Ortiz in the farm system ready to play 2B.

Frazier is the anti-Odor and he's been a solid contributor this year with surprising power. Frazier is on pace for 19 home runs when his single season career high was 10 home runs.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The main issue I had with the Frazier signing is if the Orioles are on a tight payroll then that $8M could be spent elsewhere with Westburg and Ortiz in the farm system ready to play 2B.

Frazier is the anti-Odor and he's been a solid contributor this year with surprising power. Frazier is on pace for 19 home runs when his single season career high was 10 home runs.

Arguments for Westburg or Ortiz I fully understand.  I don't always agree with everything those people might presume, but I fully understand them.  And sympathize with them frankly.

Arguments for bringing back Odor leave me stupefied.  

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I understand what you think.  Me and you are pretty much on the same page, and have been the whole time, regarding the Frazier saga.

What I can't understand is wanting to see Odor in a O's uniform again.  I literally can't fathom it.

Only if Odor isn’t taking up a roster spot and is just a guy we have ready in the dugout when a fight breaks out. 

1 minute ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Only if Odor isn’t taking up a roster spot and is just a guy we have ready in the dugout when a fight breaks out. 

You know I like Odor.  If he were brought back as part of the org as a coach or something, I'd love that.  He's not Willie Calhoun.

There is no way I would want Odor over Frazier so I'm not even sure how that could be pined for be anybody not related to Odor. I will say what I said on 105.7 this afternoon, I still think Westburg was and is the best option as the everyday 2B. That doesn't mean Frazier hasn't been doing ok, and obviously the power has surprised us all, but if I had my druthers, Westburg would be manning 2B and Frazier would be a utility guy filling in at 2B and corner outfield and providing a contact bat off the bench late in games. 

It's also worth noting that Frazier's lack of ability to get the ball out of his glove last night in the 9th cost the Orioles a game ending double-play. Little things like that don't always show up in the defensive metrics and for the most part he's been fine at tuning DPs, but he has made a few more mistakes then I was expecting defensively.

But I'll take the power that I wasn't expecting over the slight slip in defense. 

Saying all of that, I'm not sure you mix with a winning formula. the Orioles re clearly winning a lot of games with Frazier at 2B and has contributed in several games with key hits. For all of his limitations, he is a high leverage guy and does a lot of things to help a team win that also doesn't show up in the box scores or stats. 

Do I still think Westburg would have been the better option this year at 2B? I do. Am I'm concerned that Frazier is the main starter at 2B right now? No I am not. 

BTW, I think it would be interesting to mic up Frazier during the game and see if he's really always that deadpan/boring or if that is just his interview style?

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There is no way I would want Odor over Frazier so I'm not even sure how that could be pined for be anybody not related to Odor. I will say what I said on 105.7 this afternoon, I still think Westburg was and is the best option as the everyday 2B. That doesn't mean Frazier hasn't been doing ok, and obviously the power has surprised us all, but if I had my druthers, Westburg would be manning 2B and Frazier would be a utility guy filling in at 2B and corner outfield and providing a contact bat off the bench late in games. 

It's also worth noting that Frazier's lack of ability to get the ball out of his glove last night in the 9th cost the Orioles a game ending double-play. Little things like that don't always show up in the defensive metrics and for the most part he's been fine at tuning DPs, but he has made a few more mistakes then I was expecting defensively.

But I'll take the power that I wasn't expecting over the slight slip in defense. 

Saying all of that, I'm not sure you mix with a winning formula. the Orioles re clearly winning a lot of games with Frazier at 2B and has contributed in several games with key hits. For all of his limitations, he is a high leverage guy and does a lot of things to help a team win that also doesn't show up in the box scores or stats. 

Do I still think Westburg would have been the better option this year at 2B? I do. Am I'm concerned that Frazier is the main starter at 2B right now? No I am not. 

BTW, I think it would be interesting to mic up Frazier during the game and see if he's really always that deadpan/boring or if that is just his interview style?

Dude probably read his offseason thread and is just silently seething at the fanbase.  LOL.

Oh, you want an interview?   Yeah, I got an interview for you.

Edited by Pickles