Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

10 wins?  Really?   What’s next, 50 RBI?

My guess is they are getting feedback that folks enjoy getting low scores and you can get obscure with a bar like 10 wins.

I randomly chose the 1989 Expos, Bryn Smith had 10 wins, .6%. 

A little more playing around on Baseball reference and I snagged a pair of .04% picks for the other two 10 win blocks.

Edited by Can_of_corn

But I also wasn't interested in doing any work, so...Immaculate Grid it is.  But when they put up a grid that features the Reds, Rockies, Brewers and White Sox...I mean, I am just not interested.  The Nats are fun cause you can throw it back to the Expos days.  

7/9 288

Spoiler

Miss, Jeffrey Hammonds, Mike Hampton

Carlos Lee, Miss, Teddy Higuera

Tim Raines, Adam Dunn, Steve Rogers

Was proud of the Hammonds pull, I think there was a Reds/Rockies grid before and I saw that he was an answer and I told myself I'd play him there if that combination ever came up again.

Edited by Moose Milligan

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Today is just ridiculous.  I got 9/9, with a rarity score of 5, and I’m not even proud of it.  Several people will best that I’m sure.  3 of my 5 points came on one answer I didn’t think would be that popular.  

I was just about to brag that I got a 9/9 and a 13.  Thanks for bursting my bubble.   These are my kind of categories.  I hate trying to think of players who played on two different teams.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I was just about to brag that I got a 9/9 and a 13.  Thanks for bursting my bubble.   These are my kind of categories.  I hate trying to think of players who played on two different teams.

I also suck at remembering players from two different teams, unless it’s someone really obvious, or if the Orioles are one of the two.   But this was just a little too easy.  How many hall of famers never made the all star team or (if they’re a position player) never got 2000 hits?   

• Haha 1

I was considering Honus Wagner as a guess today, and scanning his B-Ref page afterwards, two fun tidbits I'd never connected before:

-He had 131 WAR, and 101 career home runs.

-He didn't debut until age 23.4.     Cobb broke in almost 5 full years younger, among the deadball era greats.

Cobb was 151 WAR, and 117 HR.

Speaker 135 WAR, and 117 HR.

Eddie Collins 124 WAR, and 47 HR probably the sharpest High WAR, Low HR all-time great, to the extent one is willing to consider that honor for any of the ancients.

Lajoie 106 WAR, and 82 HR.

The modern greats not notably known for HR like Joe Morgan and Rickey were still up around 250-300 HR.     All the other 100 WAR Bats great heaps of home runs.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Today was a little tricky, but 9/9 for 80. 

Cecil Fielder, David Price, Kirk Gibson

Greinke, Pham, Jose Guillen

Eddie Murray, Fred McGriff, Bobby Bonilla 

9/9 117 for me.   I always try to get as many Orioles as possible in, but I missed Eddie.   🤬

Just had Evan Phillips for LA/TB, Fred Lynn for LAA/Detroit, and Rich Hill for Pitt/LAD, only 3 Orioles

So was it possible to get all Orioles?

• I could have used Eddie as you did (or Don Aase, Steve Finley, Tommy Davis, Frank Robinson, Andy Messersmith, Bud Norris, Hoyt Wilhelm)
  • For Det/TB I could have used Delmon Young (or Aubrey Huff or Jason Johnson)
  • For Det/Pitt I could have used Chris Gomez, Jason Johnson, Mike Parent
  • For Arizona/Anaheim I could have used Mark Trumbo or Steve Finley
  • For Arizona/Tampa I could have used Dana Eveland, Chaz Roe, or Jeremy Hellickson -- man the would have been < 0.1% I think
  • For Arizona/Pittsburgh I could have used Kris Benson, Dana Evland, Mike Fetters

So it was possible.

SOMEDAY I will achieve my dream and fill an entire grid with Orioles.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

9/9 117 for me.   I always try to get as many Orioles as possible in, but I missed Eddie.   🤬

Just had Evan Phillips for LA/TB, Fred Lynn for LAA/Detroit, and Rich Hill for Pitt/LAD, only 3 Orioles

So was it possible to get all Orioles?

• I could have used Eddie as you did (or Don Aase, Steve Finley, Tommy Davis, Frank Robinson, Andy Messersmith, Bud Norris, Hoyt Wilhelm)
  • For Det/TB I could have used Delmon Young (or Aubrey Huff or Jason Johnson)
  • For Det/Pitt I could have used Chris Gomez, Jason Johnson, Mike Parent
  • For Arizona/Anaheim I could have used Mark Trumbo or Steve Finley
  • For Arizona/Tampa I could have used Dana Eveland, Chaz Roe, or Jeremy Hellickson -- man the would have been < 0.1% I think
  • For Arizona/Pittsburgh I could have used Kris Benson, Dana Evland, Mike Fetters

So it was possible.

SOMEDAY I will achieve my dream and fill an entire grid with Orioles.

This is a good goal. I like it. Fred Lynn for Tigers/Angels is a great pull.