Kiley: What the Os need to do with this draft

2 hours ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

Well, we will have to disagree.

With the overslot/underslot strategy we get a pretty sure signing of a pitcher who has a slightly lower ranking than our draft pick. We can even give a slight overpayment to him compared to where his conscensis ranking was, so we can be pretty sure that he signs. ..... IN ADDITION, we get to make an "offer you can't refuse" by an overslot payment (? $ 1 million ?) to a HS arm who was planning on going to college.  He figured he would be a 1st round pick in two years and get a million or more money then going pro right away.  The ORIOLES would NOT be able to draft him then- we  have a good W/L record and would not have a high enough draft pick. BUT we found a way to get this high ceiling guy.

We wind up with a decent value on that underslot pitcher AND a young high ceiling pitcher that we otherwise would NEVER get into the farm system.

Your plan gets us a redundant position player, (say a SS) who will never see the MLB field in an Orioles uniform.  AND a lower ceiling later pick, who is available right now .

overslot/underslot allows you to trade time-to-MLB for higher ceiling prospects.

Superbly put, IMO.

We all lust for the ability to one day trade draft picks, yet I think we overlook how only MLB has this puzzle of trying to temp "tomorrow's" superstar to start his career TODAY, per your discussion above.

Truly a fascinating puzzle.

On 7/8/2023 at 2:56 AM, Alasdaire said:

Sure, but that was their fifth pick in that draft and somewhere around ~80 overall.

The question I was getting at is whether now that they're at 17, they might have to open up their board because all of their favorite hitters could be gone. But given that good pitchers fell to them in past years when they were picking toward the top of the next rounds and they still went with hitters (2019 Gunnar at ~40, 2020 Westburg/Haskin in the 30s, 2022 Norby at ~40), it seems like they just like hitters more than pitchers.

A lot of college pitchers fell last year.  I remember Whisenhunt fell to the 2nd round (if I remember right).  Elias seems to know what he's doing, so I'll just trust the pitching is coming from somewhere.

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm just along for the ride. I'm not going to make any bold statements about what player I want, because the Front Office are much more educated about these players and their development strategy than I am.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy learning about our new Orioles minor leaguers.

It’s not bold to have an opinion.  But yeah, Elias and crew have much more info, knowledge, experience, and a better track record than I do.  Elias has earned my trust.

2 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm just along for the ride. I'm not going to make any bold statements about what player I want, because the Front Office are much more educated about these players and their development strategy than I am.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy learning about our new Orioles minor leaguers.

It’s not bold to have an opinion.  But yeah, Elias and crew have much more info, knowledge, experience, and a better track record than I do.  Elias has earned my trust.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

A lot of college pitchers fell last year.  I remember Whisenhunt fell to the 2nd round (if I remember right).  Elias seems to know what he's doing, so I'll just trust the pitching is coming from somewhere.

Yea he was taken a few picks before our second pick. There were some rumors we were in on him if he fell to us. 

On 7/7/2023 at 11:46 AM, Sports Guy said:

How much NIL money is there for college baseball players?

Here an article for you, @Sports Guy

https://theathletic.com/4164024/2023/02/15/nil-college-baseball/

"A game-changer. It has become free agency with no cap. You’ve got teams that have a pool of money in their collectives that are allowed to use it for inducement and using it to entice players to commit, which isn’t the intent. But as long as it stays unregulated, it’s going to stay uncapped and create pretty significant financial opportunities for those who have the biggest pockets." From Clemson Coach Erik Bakich.