Midseason top 10 ranking

Sports Guy

22 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

So, assuming Bradfield signs, where would you start him in the organization prospect rankings? For me, it’s an interesting question because of the hit tool concerns.

1. Holliday, 2. Cowser, 3. Kjerstad, 4. Mayo, 5. Westburg, 6. Ortiz, 7. Basallo, 8. Bradfield, 9. Povich, 10. Norby

Next: Fabian, McDermott, Prieto, Willems, Horvath, Beavers, Hall, Haskin, Armbruester and Wagner. 

Have to wonder where Horvath, Baumeister and Lord fit. I see you have only Horvath in your list.

Assuming all three sign, I'd think Baumeister might be the one who fits in here, but that might just be my bias toward pitching needs. Witt would also fit (IMO), but seems incredibly unlikely to sign. 

This is definitely a draft that is leaning on player development. Got some physically capable dudes. Now we figure out if they can play baseball. I feel like this draft would be a massive failure if the O's did this 8+ years ago.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Have to wonder where Horvath, Baumeister and Lord fit. I see you have only Horvath in your list.

Assuming all three sign, I'd think Baumeister might be the one who fits in here, but that might just be my bias toward pitching needs. Witt would also fit (IMO), but seems incredibly unlikely to sign. 

This is definitely a draft that is leaning on player development. Got some physically capable dudes. Now we figure out if they can play baseball. I feel like this draft would be a massive failure if the O's did this 8+ years ago.

Horvath reminds me of Austin Hays in many ways, but with a bit more speed and base stealing instinct. Excellent athlete, likes to pull for power and needs adjustments to his approach. His tools are what I like. He could be a top 5 guy in a year or two, depending on his aptitude. 

I left Baumeister out of the top 20, for now. He’d be somewhere in the mid 20’s for me currently, based on upside and not his track record. Great upside, but raw to me. He could well be in the top 10 by the end of 2024.

I actually think Lord and Cunningham are guys who have very high upside too. Lord may end up being better than Baumeister. Lord’s aptitude and work ethic seem special if the stories are true.

Josenberger is the guy I think people are sleeping on. I saw him play a few times this year, and I was hoping the Orioles would take a shot at him. Needs to refine his approach, very pull oriented from what I saw. Tremendous athlete. Josenberger, Cunningham, Etzel and even Horvath, all have great tools. They gambled on all of them. They are high ceiling and high risk guys. With the depth of the system, it’s a good time to take some upside risks.

Witt doesn’t appear to be signing, so that is why I left him out of consideration. If he did sign, his command has been rough since coming back after surgery. I have no doubt about his upside, but what has he actually done since leaving HS? I would not say he was dominant before his injury. He may regret not signing with Baltimore. 

• Upvote 1

Love the Horvath pick and Law, of all people, loves his swing which also impressed me.   I think he could be Hays with more speed, more power, and more patience, meaning I think he could turn out to be the best player in this draft.   Josenberger didn’t strike me as a sexy pick in the 3rd.   Not as fun as Cunningham in the 5th or Etzel in the 10th but based on how high they took him, color me intrigued.

3 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Wow, not one person on the first three pages of this listed Stowers anywhere on their lists.  Has he fallen that far out of favor, or does he not qualify as a prospect any more?  (Serious question....)

Assuming he still qualifies he could be anywhere from around 10 to 15 or 16.  He has been a bit unfairly forgotten.  I plead guilty.

8 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Wow, not one person on the first three pages of this listed Stowers anywhere on their lists.  Has he fallen that far out of favor, or does he not qualify as a prospect any more?  (Serious question....)

Stowers and Grayson Rodriguez have both dropped off. I see BA still has him, but the other outlets see him as his prospect status expired. That is why I left them off. 

3 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

I think Stowers' reputation amongst O's fans was always inflated due to his being chosen out of college, in an early round, to a system that hadn't yet emerged. If he had entered the system in 2022, he wouldn't be regarded the same way as he was.

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2023 at 12:14 AM, oriolefan1035 said:

1. Holliday

2. Cowser

3. Westburg

4. Mayo

5. Kjerstad

6. Ortiz

7. Basallo

8. Armbruester

9. McDermott

10. Hall

I was shocked not to see Armbruester on more lists here. He’s going to take a lot of folks by surprise that don’t follow minor league baseball. 

On 7/14/2023 at 4:50 PM, Alasdaire said:

I think Stowers' reputation amongst O's fans was always inflated due to his being chosen out of college, in an early round, to a system that hadn't yet emerged. If he had entered the system in 2022, he wouldn't be regarded the same way as he was.

Speaking only for myself, he's out of sight, out of mind. I definitely still think he'll be an impactful major leaguer. I wish he was a week or two farther along in his rehab. If so, he might deserve the call if Hicks and Mullins are both hurt. (I've been disengaged, so I have no idea what either's status is...)

On 7/14/2023 at 9:10 PM, AdleysPecks said:

I was shocked not to see Armbruester on more lists here. He’s going to take a lot of folks by surprise that don’t follow minor league baseball. 

His AAA results have been more intriguing than his AA results, for sure. You have to think there will be opportunity for him in Baltimore if he can stay strong through the end of this year.