Kiley McDaniel: Regarding the O's thus far in the draft...

I spoke to an Orioles official at a game this spring and asked if they really had a "type" or just kept taking the same sort of guy -- power first, with athleticism, ideally at an up-the-middle position, and a player whom the team can train on pitch selection and contact skills. The official denied it and then asked if there was a player that was the opposite of that type. My response was Enrique Bradfield Jr., who I told him they'd never consider with their first pick. "See?" he said. "We don't have a type -- because we're still scouting him." I kind of laughed at that idea. Of course, they drafted Bradfield with their first pick Sunday. 

The moral? Never be too sure that even the clearest track record will continue. Teams should value biodiversity in their farm system, especially as it becomes time to build a winning big league club. Next year, the Orioles might find they need a speed and defense guy, not another corner masher with big exit velos. Under GM Mike Elias, the O's also hadn't taken pitchers in the early rounds ... ever. And they took two (Jackson Baumeister and Kiefer Lord) in the top three rounds this year. I don't think the Orioles were ever against taking low-powered hitters or pitchers, as they've maintained the whole time and have now proved. But it's also true that the O's are at a new stage of team building, and their decision-makers have responded to it by drafting differently.

• Upvote 2