Os acquiring Fujinami for Easton Lucas

Sports Guy

The 29-year-old has worked scoreless outings in 15 of his last 20 appearances. Since May 27 — an admittedly arbitrary endpoint — Fujinami owns a 3.32 ERA in 21 2/3 frames. He’s striking hitters out at a quality 25.6% clip against a modest 7% walk rate in that time

There’s risk in placing too much emphasis on a player’s recent trajectory compared to their overall body of work, of course. It’s perhaps easier to buy into Fujinami’s stronger results of late given the quality of his arsenal. Working in shorter stints has pushed the average velocity on his four-seam fastball from an already strong 97 MPH to the 99-100 MPH range. He’s also leaned more heavily on a 93-94 MPH split while scaling back on his mid-80s cutter.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/orioles-to-acquire-shintaro-fujinami.html

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Somehow I think this increases the chance we get the Ohtani rental from about 1% to 2%.

Nice to have someone else who speaks Japanese in the clubhouse.

I was making the same correlation lol. Might be an attempt to get build a culture to intrigue Ohtani.

But if we are going to make a serious attempt to get Ohtani, I would start by trying to get the rights to hire Ohtani's translator (who is much more than a translator), Ippa Mizuhara, from the Angels.

Brandon Hyde should also be in contact with his good buddy Joe Maddon to get some inside scoop about Madden's experiences recruiting and managing Ohtani. 

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You have evidence which shows Fujinami can touch 101 mph and has been getting better and better as a reliever and has actually been effective in that role this month.  Easton Lucas was looking good in AA, and so so in AAA.  Lucas might become something but for now I think it’s a no brainer which of the two has a better chance of helping this season.

If Lucas is so good, then why wasn't he brought up?  Does Lucas throw 100 mph?

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Second deal of the year with Oakland. Elias and Forst must have each other on speed dial.

I think there are definitely deals made from relationships…or at least borne from the camaraderie of being in a similar position. I was only have joking that this was the return for sending them Neshek ages ago.

15 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would think the O's have 5+ years on control of him.  No reason to believe he would become a FA.

Fujinami will be a free agent because he was an international free agent, having played 9 years in the NPB. He was signed through the posting system. He wasn’t signed using money from the international pool where the A’s, now Orioles, would have control after his 1 year contract expires.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I think there are definitely deals made from relationships…or at least borne from the camaraderie of being in a similar position. I was only have joking that this was the return for sending them Neshek ages ago.

We are also two clubs heading in different directions, plus we play in different divisions. Really ideally suited to be trade partners.