Should we offer extensions to any of our starting pitchers, either now or in the offseason?

Frobby

10 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I'd try to see if Flaherty would be agreeable to a 3 year deal.  Only 28 next year, and its likely we look to sign one 'veteran' at least anyway, might as well be somebody who we know a little about. 

Maybe Means also, if he's agreeable to a 'prove it' type extension for a couple years.  He strikes me as someone who might want to stick around to be a longer term part of this turnaround, after the lean years he was part of.

I’d try to get Flaherty no more than 3 years. I’d actually prefer 2 years with an option. 

Honestly, Gibson on a 2-3 year deal if he’s inclined to stay. Kremer, Grayson,and Bradish can wait a while. 

Guys here don’t get that we are short on SP prospects anywhere near ready and the Orioles don’t want to swim in the deep end of Free Agency. Hell, they barely want to play in the shallow end.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d try to get Flaherty no more than 3 years. I’d actually prefer 2 years with an option. 

Honestly, Gibson on a 2-3 year deal if he’s inclined to stay. Kremer, Grayson,and Bradish can wait a while. 

Guys here don’t get that we are short on SP prospects anywhere near ready and the Orioles don’t want to swim in the deep end of Free Agency. Hell, they barely want to play in the shallow end.

Why would you give Gibson a multi year deal? You are guaranteeing an average-ish pitcher a roster and rotation spot for a few years. There are always Kyle Gibson clones available for 1 year deals as well.

Why lock yourself into a guy that when you don’t have to?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep..Gunnar, Holliday and Adley are my priority extensions right now…in that order too.

I might go with Holliday first over Gunnar. Holliday really seems like the real deal, maybe even more so than Gunnar, and then we could call him up any time without service time considerations. Adley is third due to playing catcher and being older when he hits free agency. These guys are all generational talents. Lock them up for additional years if we have the opportunity. 

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Even before I did that, I start figuring out what my plans for Urias, Santander, and Hays were.

Why do you need a plan for them?

By that I mean, those are year to year guys or you trade them Now.

They aren’t guys you extend, not with what we have in the minors.

Besides, you should be able to sign guys to extensions while also figuring those guys out. Hell, you should already know your plan for them right now. You know what you have with them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would you give Gibson a multi year deal? You are guaranteeing an average-ish pitcher a roster and rotation spot for a few years. There are always Kyle Gibson clones available for 1 year deals as well.

Why lock yourself into a guy that when you don’t have to?

Ok  your probably right

Next years rotation could be Bradish, Kremer, Gray Rod, Wells, and Irvin. But, we’d have no depth if we let Gibson and Flaherty walk. To get a good SP, I don’t see it in free agency with the approach of being cheap. 

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do you need a plan for them?

By that I mean, those are year to year guys or you trade them Now.

They aren’t guys you extend, not with what we have in the minors.

Besides, you should be able to sign guys to extensions while also figuring those guys out. Hell, you should already know your plan for them right now. You know what you have with them.

When do you trade them.  That's the question.

I don't agree that you trade them ASAP or all at once.

They need to figure out how they're going to incorporate the MiL guys, and how they're going to open spots on the roster for them.

They'll do that by trading younger vets when it makes sense and the deals are there.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

When do you trade them.  That's the question.

I don't agree that you trade them ASAP or all at once.

They need to figure out how they're going to incorporate the MiL guys, and how they're going to open spots on the roster for them.

They'll do that by trading younger vets when it makes sense and the deals are there.

Urias and Hays can stay next year imo. They have roles, just not starting ones imo.

Santander should be traded but there is a scenario where he can stay too. Depends on what you do in many different areas, namely first base.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Urias and Hays can stay next year imo. They have roles, just not starting ones imo.

Santander should be traded but there is a scenario where he can stay too. Depends on what you do in many different areas, namely first base.

That's what I mean.  There are a million scenarios they'll need to calculate.

Personally, I'm far more conservative than the rest of the board.  I wouldn't blame them one bit for running this year back, sans Frazier and Hicks, and replace them with Ortiz and Cowser.

42 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Ok  your probably right

Next years rotation could be Bradish, Kremer, Gray Rod, Wells, and Irvin. But, we’d have no depth if we let Gibson and Flaherty walk. To get a good SP, I don’t see it in free agency with the approach of being cheap. 

Means?

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

That's what I mean.  There are a million scenarios they'll need to calculate.

Personally, I'm far more conservative than the rest of the board.  I wouldn't blame them one bit for running this year back, sans Frazier and Hicks, and replace them with Ortiz and Cowser.

Yea but you can extend the 3 I said without dealing with the rest. You know they are 3 big parts of your team, so what you do with the rest is irrelevant.

Kjerstad isn’t going to have anything to prove either it appears but that didn’t stop them with Westburg this year, so you never know.