Playoffs/plate discipline

btdart20

Max Muncy Might Have Accidentally Revealed Source of Dodgers' Postseason Struggles - Inside the Dodgers | News, Rumors, Videos, Schedule, Roster, Salaries And More

Interesting comments coming from Max Muncy about the LAD review of their past two post-season exits.  Since LAD is one of the more metric-driven teams, it's something of note.

"What's funny is we've tried to dig into this a bunch, especially on the offensive side. We've really dug into it about why things are so different for us in the postseason and every year we look at the numbers and last year, in terms of chase rate outside the zone, we were like the first or the second best. And then, the two teams that made the World Series were like the first and second worst at chase rate.

"So, we start looking into that kind of stuff, and those are the teams that are making it to the World Series. They're going up there and they're getting their swings off, whereas we're being too disciplined and that's almost where it seems like we got to just flip the script and go up there and start hacking."

When I saw the quote, I immediately thought about the O's hitting emphasis.  But I also thought about the changes Gunnar and others made in-season as well.  ATL and BAL were mentioned as middle-of-the-pack teams for BBs.

Does this impact our hitting emphasis?  How?

If you can't handle a pitch in a particular part of the strike zone, don't swing.  (obviously situations exist in which you would swing, don't @ me)

If you can make consistent hard contact with a particular zone that is outside of the strike zone, swing.

I'd much rather they attack a pitch they can drive instead of taking it for a ball.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Max Muncy Might Have Accidentally Revealed Source of Dodgers' Postseason Struggles - Inside the Dodgers | News, Rumors, Videos, Schedule, Roster, Salaries And More

Interesting comments coming from Max Muncy about the LAD review of their past two post-season exits.  Since LAD is one of the more metric-driven teams, it's something of note.

"What's funny is we've tried to dig into this a bunch, especially on the offensive side. We've really dug into it about why things are so different for us in the postseason and every year we look at the numbers and last year, in terms of chase rate outside the zone, we were like the first or the second best. And then, the two teams that made the World Series were like the first and second worst at chase rate.

"So, we start looking into that kind of stuff, and those are the teams that are making it to the World Series. They're going up there and they're getting their swings off, whereas we're being too disciplined and that's almost where it seems like we got to just flip the script and go up there and start hacking."

When I saw the quote, I immediately thought about the O's hitting emphasis.  But I also thought about the changes Gunnar and others made in-season as well.  ATL and BAL were mentioned as middle-of-the-pack teams for BBs.

Does this impact our hitting emphasis?  How?

It is interesting and may have some validity. It may also explain why better pitching teams win championships.  Undisciplined hacking against a TOR type often proves disastrous. 

I think there's tradecraft, long cons, and rope-a-dope stuff happening here too.     I have more had games on in the background, but at one point I think I heard Marcus Semien had a rare accomplishment going 2-for-2 on two pitches.     

Its a basic truth Gunnar, Holliday, etc. are going to take lots of October plate appearances against Aroldis, Poche, Alvarado, G. Soto, etc.

One observation on the Phillies success had to do with the importance of impact Bats, and how beneficial 3-4 are.    Some of the takeaway for me is you can cobble together success against the league during the 162 grind with platoons, but those platoons will wilt against the world's toughest competition that fall.    

We'll see what monsters, if any, arise out of Elias' big bonus babies.     I would say 2023's Santander, O'Hearn, Mountcastle or whoever you'd call it for 3rd best Bat is weak sauce for that kind of role.

Yesterday the Astros modeled what championship caliber lineups do with the Andrew Heaneys and Dane Dunnings of the world.    We aren't there yet.