Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Imanaga to Cubs. That’s another one we’ve dodged. So really it’s just Montgomery, Snell, and Cease, on the market. Uwasawa is a name that’s out there. His window ends on this Thursday afternoon. 

Would you rather the Yankees sign a marquee free agent pitcher, taking them out of the market for Cease? Or would you prefer the Yankees either trade for Cease or drive up the price we’d have to pay for him?

White Sox fans are pretty pleased every time a major free agent pitcher doesn’t go to the Yankees. 

10 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

If Cease is an Oriole then either Kjerstad, Mayo, or Basallo is a White Sox, and yes I know how this entire board thinks Basallo and Mayo are destined for the HOF already, imagine how Getz feels about those two? I think in the end a deal gets done but it’s gonna hurt a little bit 

I don’t think a deal gets done.  Elias isn’t likely to trade a top 100 guy (history says so) and I don’t think Cease will be the guy he breaks from the norm on.  With how this org is run, they can’t afford to give away service time.  Everything is made in house.  Just my two cents.  

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Imanaga to Cubs. That’s another one we’ve dodged. So really it’s just Montgomery, Snell, and Cease, on the market. Uwasawa is a name that’s out there. His window ends on this Thursday afternoon. 

Sir, this is a W̶e̶n̶d̶y̶'s̶ Cease Thread.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the 200 pages of Dylan Cease chat, but this was MLB Network's proposed Cease trade yesterday:

Baltimore gets: Cease

Chicago gets: Kjerstad, Ortiz, Armbruester

I'd love to see the results of a poll asking if we (posters) would do that deal.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Would you rather the Yankees sign a marquee free agent pitcher, taking them out of the market for Cease? Or would you prefer the Yankees either trade for Cease or drive up the price we’d have to pay for him?

White Sox fans are pretty pleased every time a major free agent pitcher doesn’t go to the Yankees. 

Snell to the Yankees has disaster potential and helps us with Cease.  That works for me.

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I don’t think a deal gets done.  Elias isn’t likely to trade a top 100 guy (history says so) and I don’t think Cease will be the guy he breaks from the norm on.  With how this org is run, they can’t afford to give away service time.  Everything is made in house.  Just my two cents.  

He wouldn’t even be talking to the WS if he was unwilling to deal a top 100 guy.   

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Snell to the Yankees has disaster potential and helps us with Cease.  That works for me.

Feels like a no brainer to me too. Counting on the Yankees to not be aggressive isn’t a strategy either; they’re going to make moves. I’d just prefer them to not be competition on the players we’re actually targeting.

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I’ll believe it when I see it.  

1. Do you believe Elias is attempting to trade for Cease?

2. If so, what types of prospects/players do you think he’s offering?

Per MASN.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-mike-elias-on-weighing-trade-possibilities-and-mlb-network-s-dan-o-dowd-on-the-orioles

I asked Elias if the Orioles are prepared to lose some of their best prospects?

“We are definitely prepared to. We’ve had a lot of conversations dating back to the trade deadline where we’ve made some of our more famous prospects available. Just because we have this wonderful farm system and we theoretically would have the ability to match or top people’s trade offers, we have to worry about the balance of the trade itself.

“Lot of our players are prospects. These are guys that have tools and are performing. Performing in Triple-A and are consensus top 50 prospects in baseball. We have teams asking about them left and right. You don’t just throw those guys into trades and write it off. Those are players that are going to be helping soon and for a long time. We’ve got to balance that. It’s fun for us to be in a position where we can get into every trade conversation.

“But this perception that we have too many prospects and we need to get rid of some of them, that doesn’t register with me. We want to have a very talented organization. We need to make good trades, we don’t need to jettison players. But we’re very open to and very realistic about making our prospects available because there are impact players out there. You have to give something to get something.”

11 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I’d rather our AL East competitors add nobody. Outside of Soto, and Giolito, that’s basically happened. If you want to tie how that affects Cease… well Elias isn’t in an arms race just to catch up. Let’s say the Jays got Ohtani, the Sox got one of Snell/Montgomery, and the NYY signed Yamamota, then Elias would be feeling some heat to make a move for Cease to keep up. 

I expect the market for Snell and Montgomery will heat up now. Stroman could be this year’s Ublado/Gallardo/Cobb for us, and end up in our laps… or the CWS bite on our Cease offer. 

I’d say this offseason has been pretty much best case scenario for us O’s fans. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

1. Do you believe Elias is attempting to trade for Cease?

2. If so, what types of prospects/players do you think he’s offering?

1. Honestly, I’m not 100% sold that he is.  

2. If he is I think he’d reluctantly give up one IF but would be pretty shocked (Westburg or Ortiz) + Norby, & Stowers.  Not super sexy but that’s a lot of MLB ready talent.  I also don’t think those players line up well with CWS which is why I’m not sold that a deal will get done.  

29 minutes ago, SoxFan3344 said:

If Cease is an Oriole then either Kjerstad, Mayo, or Basallo is a White Sox, and yes I know how this entire board thinks Basallo and Mayo are destined for the HOF already, imagine how Getz feels about those two? I think in the end a deal gets done but it’s gonna hurt a little bit 

There is no chance Mayo or Basallo get traded for Cease.  None.  Kjerstad vs Cowser gets endlessly debated around here.  I'd give up Cowser but not Kjerstad.  The other pieces are so numerous it's tough to even guess who else could be involved.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Per MASN.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/o-s-mike-elias-on-weighing-trade-possibilities-and-mlb-network-s-dan-o-dowd-on-the-orioles

I asked Elias if the Orioles are prepared to lose some of their best prospects?

“We are definitely prepared to. We’ve had a lot of conversations dating back to the trade deadline where we’ve made some of our more famous prospects available. Just because we have this wonderful farm system and we theoretically would have the ability to match or top people’s trade offers, we have to worry about the balance of the trade itself.

“Lot of our players are prospects. These are guys that have tools and are performing. Performing in Triple-A and are consensus top 50 prospects in baseball. We have teams asking about them left and right. You don’t just throw those guys into trades and write it off. Those are players that are going to be helping soon and for a long time. We’ve got to balance that. It’s fun for us to be in a position where we can get into every trade conversation.

“But this perception that we have too many prospects and we need to get rid of some of them, that doesn’t register with me. We want to have a very talented organization. We need to make good trades, we don’t need to jettison players. But we’re very open to and very realistic about making our prospects available because there are impact players out there. You have to give something to get something.”

To me that reads “we aren’t trading our guys unless we get a bonafide difference maker back”.  Do you think the most pitch inefficient SP in MLB is that difference maker?  I don’t, I think people have been talking this to death for so long that they are just desperate for something to get done.  

I personally would do some of these proposals, but having watched this FO operate, I just don’t see it.  My 2 cents. 

• Upvote 1