Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

My contention is that he’s not worth 2 top 100 and 2 other top Org prospects. The Reds ask that was reported by their beat writer was way too much with or without a 5th player. If the cost is anywhere in the zip code a deal isn’t getting done …at least not with the Orioles. 

I think what Elias is willing to offer and what Getz is willing to accept is close or the O's/WS would not still be in discussions.  I'm predicting that Elias is willing to give up 2 top 100 prospects and a 3rd lesser prospects.  If the sides weren't somewhat close, negotiations wouldn't be ongoing.  Obviously Elias doesn't think Cease is an average starter or he would sign a,Gibson type starter instead.

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sounds like a pretty good assessment based off the noise out there. Someone could pop back into the situation, but either they need to come off their price tag or hope they can find a desperate team come the trading deadline. 

And hope Cease doesn't pitch the first half of 2024 like he did 2023.

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think what Elias is willing to offer and what Getz is willing to accept is close or the O's/WS would not still be in discussions.  I'm predicting that Elias is willing to give up 2 top 100 prospects and a 3rd lesser prospects.  If the sides weren't somewhat close, negotiations wouldn't be ongoing.  Obviously Elias doesn't think Cease is an average starter or he would sign a,Gibson type starter instead.

How do you know the Orioles and White Sox are still in discussions?  My take is that they hit an impasse and each side is waiting for the other to blink.

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I remember correctly they kept killing the Tex threads after a certain point and would start new ones.

Besides, there were no reports of Cease being seen at a Ravens game.

If Cease is traded, my guess is that White Sox fans will be calling for Getz's head for getting too little back.  If Cease is not traded, they will probably be calling for Getz's head for not getting 4 top 50 prospects plus 5 lottery tickets, as he should have easily been able to do.  Sounds about right - White Sox fans are pretty much like all other fans.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Here's my problem ... The Reds request by Getz according to the Reds beat writer was Lowder, Arroyo, Phillips, and Petty and perhaps a "5th Unnamed propsect".

The 1st 3 were in MLBs top 100 this fall at #41, #57, and #68. Lowder is 21 and was the 7th overall pick in the 2023 draft. The Reds didn't have him pitch in 2023. Arroyo a SS (Arm 55,Field 60) had a .757 OPS with 11 triples, 13 HR, 28 SBs , 60 RBI at A+ ball. While they wouldve preferred his Avg/OBP higher .252/.324 it was far from a disappointing season. Will he slip in the ranking? Possibly but I don't think he falls from #58 out of the top 100. Phillips is 22 was at AA and gave them 64 innings of 3.34 ERA and a WHIP of 1.3. He was sent to AAA and had a 4.69 ERA WHIP of 1.56 before getting a cup of coffee in the bigs of 5 starts 6.97 ERA 1.5 WHIP (18 hits in 20 innings but 13 walks). He as a grade 60 FB and 2 grade 50 pitches. He clearly wasn't ready for AAA much less the majors. To say he was rushed at 22 is an understatement. Does he fall out of the top 100? Petty is 20 years old and 60 FB, 60 Slider , 50 Change... was a 1st rounder in 2021 (26th overall) started the season injured but had 18 starts and 68 innings ERA 1.72 , Whip 1.15 .... I'm guessing they were pretty conservative with him after he returned as he averaged about 4 innings per start.

That is a haul and Getz wouldve been Lauded for getting all of that for 2 years of Cease.

Are the Orioles still talking? Sure ... I believe Elias probably has an offer on the table that might be the best offer. And hes told Getz to let him know. So while Getz is hoping for someone to get desperate and offer more its obvious that is not the case so far. I have no idea if Getz will take or keep Cease during the spring. But, I think the price keeps going down unless Cease reduplicates his 2022 season before the deadline,

Our WS friends are debating which Mets prospects they want and expect back in a Cease trade.  Meanwhile:

1. That currently leaves them with a front five of Senga, Quintana, Manaea, Severino and Houser.   They got 5 starters

2. The Mets dumped their star pitchers and boatloads of money to get prospects back last deadline and David Stearns is a GM who built through the farm system.   Seems odd they’d trade top prospects for 2 years of Cease.

3. Signing Manaea and Severino hardly seems like all in moves.  Sending top prospects for 2 years of Cease is an all in move.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Our WS friends are debating which Mets prospects they want and expect back in a Cease trade.  Meanwhile:

1. That currently leaves them with a front five of Senga, Quintana, Manaea, Severino and Houser.   They got 5 starters

2. The Mets dumped their star pitchers and boatloads of money to get prospects back last deadline and David Stearns is a GM who built through the farm system.   Seems odd they’d trade top prospects for 2 years of Cease.

3. Signing Manaea and Severino hardly seems like all in moves.  Sending top prospects for 2 years of Cease is an all in move.

I think the Mets plan is to regroup a bit this year and push hard in 2025.

49 minutes ago, Number5 said:

If Cease is traded, my guess is that White Sox fans will be calling for Getz's head for getting too little back.  If Cease is not traded, they will probably be calling for Getz's head for not getting 4 top 50 prospects plus 5 lottery tickets, as he should have easily been able to do.  Sounds about right - White Sox fans are pretty much like all other fans.

I remember the O's were supposed to get 3 top 100 prospects for Gausman who had a way less impressive resume than Cease.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think both. I think Cease is worth it. We can absorb the lost of a Westburg, Cowser/Kjerstad package. The board was being homerish thinking that Cowser, Ortiz, and McDermott, were enough to get it done

But all of that is just my opinion. If Ortiz is such a plug and play SS for 6 years, then you would think the Dodgers would be beating down our door for him. I guess we found out what the rest of MLB thinks about him. 

Ehh I don’t think it’s very homer-ish to say that’s a bad trade for us and would be accepted by the Sox. That’s a lot of years of control, two ML ready top 100 prospects, and another young pitcher who looked really good last year. 

What do you think we’d have to add to get them to bite?

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the Mets plan is to regroup a bit this year and push hard in 2025.

Yea I don’t see how trading for Cease makes any sense for the Mets. I think that’s WS fans dreaming and hoping for another team to be involved.

Boston seems to be having money issues and while Cease makes sense because he’s cheap, giving up even cheaper guys with a ton of service time doesn’t make sense.

It could be the Yankees or the Os.