Orioles 2023 #20 Prospect Luis Almeyda - SS

Tony-OH

https://orioleshangout.com/2023/11/22/orioles-2023-20-prospect-luis-almeyda-ss/

Signed for $2.1 million as a 16-year old during the 2023 J2 signing period, it was a lost season due to a shoulder injury that eventuality led to him having shoulder surgery and ending his season. However, his upside as a power hitting shortstop with speed brings him in at #20.

Luis Almeyda
Pos: SS
Bats: R
Throws: R
Age (as of Jun 30th) : 17
2023 Level: DSL

Tools (current/future value)
Hit: 20/50
Game Power: 30/55
Raw Power: 40/60
Run: 60/60
Defense: 35/55 at SS

image-12.png

Most Likely Future Role: Too early
Ceiling: Too early

What we know: As the Orioles highest Latin American signing ever, there were high hopes going into his first professional season. Unfortunately, a left shoulder kept popping out causing him to miss time and eventually led to the decision to have shoulder surgery. Luckily for him and the Orioles, he supposed to make a full recovery and be ready by spring training.

An English speaker who grew up in New Jersey, he was able to go and stay with some family in the Dominican Republic in order to be eligible to sign rather than wait until his senior year of high school.

At 6-foot-2, 180 pounds, Almeyda brings five tools to the field and when healthy, should be an exciting prospect to watch. His 28.3% line drive rate gives a little indication that even though his numbers weren't good statistically, he hits the ball hard.

Defensively he should be able to stick at shortstop according to the early reports with plenty or arm strength and quickness, but that will be more thoroughly determined when he goes through a full season club.

He's an above average runner.

What we don't know: How will he recover from the shoulder surgery? How long will it take him to regain his strength? Will the Orioles move him to the FCL despite the lost season?

What we think: Almeyda is a high ceiling prospect who we never really saw get it going due to the shoulder issues. It will be interesting to see what he looks like next spring. It's expected that he will get promoted to the FCL and the key is for him to stay healthy and show what he can do on the field. He should be an exciting player to follow in 2024.

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

@Tony-OH - What's the shoulder surgery recovery timeline?  Will he be ready for ST and the 2024 season?  Or even a degree of off-season workouts?  Is there a chance he opens in the FCL  or is it more likely he'll be back in the DSL to open the season?

I mentioned those in the profile. I was told he should be fine by spring training next year. I believe they will push him to the FCL unless he looks awful in spring training. 

I like it when the write-up appears in the body of the post, like this one, instead of in a separate link.  Makes it easier to find later.

Just to be clear: Almeyda played 5 games in June, sat for three weeks, then played 14 games in July.  So what happened was, his shoulder popped out in June and then again in July?   And the surgery was after July?

My guess is that they’ll move him to the FCL next summer despite his limited success and playing time in the DSL this summer.