CAA Basketball

YardBirds13

That's pretty shocking to me. I thought UD would be a sleeper team to maybe knock off VCU in the Quarters.

They played so well against us in the last game of the season, and they lay an egg like that? Man, that's disappointing.

I hope the same fate doesn't hit JMU tonight!

Yeah, me too, they usually put up points (exception being today) thought they would match up well against VCU as well for the trny, bummer as VCU will most likely destroy Georgia State.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah' date=' me too, they usually put up points (exception being today) thought they would match up well against VCU as well for the trny, bummer as VCU will most likely destroy Georgia State.[/quote']

Yeah, Georgia State was one of the least impressive teams I saw in the conference all season long. I'd bet VCU destroys them.

Whoever wins the ODU-Hofstra quarterfinal (which should be incredible) is going to give VCU a hell of a match-up in the semifinals.

Actually, assuming JMU and Drexel win tonight (please let that happen) 3 of the 4 quarterfinals tomorrow should be awesome.

Hofstra-ODU, JMU-Mason, and Drexel-Northeastern all figure to be tremendous games if JMU and Drexel take care of business tonight.

Yardbirds13 and everyone else, remember this shot.

Sophomore Leonard Mendez’s three-pointer as time expired gave ninth-seeded Georgia State a 70-68 victory over No. 8 William & Mary in game one of the 2007 Aéropostale CAA Men’s Basketball Championship at the Richmond Coliseum.

Even though I have no interest in either team when I saw this shot I could only feel happy for Georgia State and their fans, they may of not been a great team, but for one day they could feel like champions. (Everyone deserves to have a moment like that whether your PITT or Cal State Fullerton) One of the craziest shots I've ever seen and can't believe I found it. Go to the 1:20 mark as the shot that preceded it wasn't bad either and gave the Tribe the lead.

http://www.caasports.com/newMediaPlayer/consolewmp.htm?CLIP_FILE_ID=64137&SPID=3455&SPSID=43048&CLIP_ID=59334&oemid=8500&type=vod&id=64137&DB_MENU_ID=&DB_OEM_ID=8500

I do, and there are:

Second Team:

James, JMU

Monroe, Mason

Sanders, VCU

Rodgers, Drexel

Vaughn, Mason

Cam Long of Mason made third team, and Junior Hairston of Towson was on the third team as well. Towson...Wedge, you see that! A third-team all-conference guy!

Adako, Northeastern, Dukes, Georgia St, Schneider W&M and Tomko UNCW round out the third team.

Hairston is a pretty good player. Look for Cam Long to make the 1st team next year as he'll pick up more scoring.

Yardbirds13 and everyone else' date=' remember this shot.

Sophomore Leonard Mendez’s three-pointer as time expired gave ninth-seeded Georgia State a 70-68 victory over No. 8 William & Mary in game one of the 2007 Aéropostale CAA Men’s Basketball Championship at the Richmond Coliseum.

Even though I have no interest in either team when I saw this shot I could only feel happy for Georgia State and their fans, they may of not been a great team, but for one day they could feel like champions. (Everyone deserves to have a moment like that whether your PITT or Cal State Fullerton) One of the craziest shots I've ever seen and can't believe I found it. Go to the 1:20 mark as the shot that preceded it wasn't bad either and gave the Tribe the lead.

http://www.caasports.com/newMediaPlayer/consolewmp.htm?CLIP_FILE_ID=64137&SPID=3455&SPSID=43048&CLIP_ID=59334&oemid=8500&type=vod&id=64137&DB_MENU_ID=&DB_OEM_ID=8500

I remember that well. What a great game.

William & Mary had a couple of buzzer beaters last year in their run to the final, beating ODU and VCU on back to back buzzer beaters if I remember correctly? They may have won their opening round game at the buzzer as well.

For Colonial, a Higher Profile and Fewer Surprises in March

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/sports/ncaabasketball/06colonial.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Three years ago, North Carolina-Wilmington and George Mason reached the N.C.A.A. tournament, and the Patriots advanced to the Final Four. Two years ago, Virginia Commonwealth and Old Dominion reached the tournament, and the V.C.U. Rams stunned Duke in an opening-round game.

But the postseason success has not always been helpful. As the C.A.A.’s visibility and momentum have increased, it has become more difficult for its teams to earn at-large bids.

More games are televised, higher-profile recruits are arriving throughout the league and, C.A.A. coaches said, teams from the power conferences are more hesitant to schedule games against their teams.

“It’s much tougher for a few teams to dominate than it used to be,” Northeastern Coach Bill Coen said. “In that sense, the league’s improvement has probably been counterproductive to getting multiple bids.”

-----

One thing the C.A.A. has lacked recently is signature nonconference victories. There have been few aside from Northeastern’s win against Providence in November.

Old Dominion Coach Blaine Taylor said the C.A.A.’s surge made nonconference matchups difficult to find.

When the Monarchs received an at-large bid in 2006-7, they faced Clemson, Georgetown and Virginia Tech during the regular season. In 2005-6, George Mason played against Wake Forest and Mississippi State.

This season, neither Old Dominion nor George Mason had a game against a team from a Bowl Championship Series conference. For the Monarchs, Taylor said, it was not for lack of trying.

“They’re steering clear of us,” he said. “We beat Georgetown, and now we can’t get anyone in the Big East to return our calls. How do you get a chance to get those high-profile wins? We played Virginia Tech five times and beat them in four, and Seth Greenberg told me he didn’t want any part of playing us anymore.” Greenberg is the Hokies’ coach.

For Colonial' date=' a Higher Profile and Fewer Surprises in March

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/sports/ncaabasketball/06colonial.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Three years ago, North Carolina-Wilmington and George Mason reached the N.C.A.A. tournament, and the Patriots advanced to the Final Four. Two years ago, Virginia Commonwealth and Old Dominion reached the tournament, and the V.C.U. Rams stunned Duke in an opening-round game.

But the postseason success has not always been helpful. As the C.A.A.’s visibility and momentum have increased, it has become more difficult for its teams to earn at-large bids.

More games are televised, higher-profile recruits are arriving throughout the league and, C.A.A. coaches said, teams from the power conferences are more hesitant to schedule games against their teams.

“It’s much tougher for a few teams to dominate than it used to be,” Northeastern Coach Bill Coen said. “In that sense, the league’s improvement has probably been counterproductive to getting multiple bids.”

-----

One thing the C.A.A. has lacked recently is signature nonconference victories. There have been few aside from Northeastern’s win against Providence in November.

Old Dominion Coach Blaine Taylor said the C.A.A.’s surge made nonconference matchups difficult to find.

When the Monarchs received an at-large bid in 2006-7, they faced Clemson, Georgetown and Virginia Tech during the regular season. In 2005-6, George Mason played against Wake Forest and Mississippi State.

This season, neither Old Dominion nor George Mason had a game against a team from a Bowl Championship Series conference. For the Monarchs, Taylor said, it was not for lack of trying.

“They’re steering clear of us,” he said. “We beat Georgetown, and now we can’t get anyone in the Big East to return our calls. How do you get a chance to get those high-profile wins? We played Virginia Tech five times and beat them in four, and Seth Greenberg told me he didn’t want any part of playing us anymore.” Greenberg is the Hokies’ coach.

That will be a growth problem for the conference. I'd love to see Mason and JMU get into some kind of rotation with Maryland, VA Tech, UVA, Georgetown, and/or West Virginia. The problem is that these big conference teams have no incentive to travel to a CAA school.

That will be a growth problem for the conference. I'd love to see Mason and JMU get into some kind of rotation with Maryland, VA Tech, UVA, Georgetown, and/or West Virginia. The problem is that these big conference teams have no incentive to travel to a CAA school.

Yep, even with the CAA's obvious quality, that situation hasn't changed in 20 years. The best that CAA-level schools can do is load up with other quality mid-majors like Creighton.

At one point, CAA schools could set up 2-for-1 deals with major conference teams. GMU did that with Louisville at some point, playing two in Kentucky and one in Fairfax. Now the big schools don't want anything to do with the CAA.

JMU takes care of the Tribe.

And lookie look at Towson. Up on on Drexel at the half.

Mason/Dukes makes for a good matchup tomorrow.

They aren't "up" on Drexel...they have been outscored 20-8 so far in the second half and are STILL leading by 13 :laughlol:

Go Tigers! Get my hopes up a little!

EDIT: Make that outscored 31-18 and are still up by 12.

Just got back from some drinks with friends, and was checking on the JMU score on my phone. Nice to see we didn't mess around and really put them away.

I love what this team can do when healthy, cannot wait to see how we do against Mason tomorrow night. I'm actually pretty confident we can win that game.

Surprising Towson is all over Drexel. That's what Bruiser Flint gets for stealing Matt Brady's CAA COY award.

Towson's at it again. They're up by 7 on #3 seed Northeastern at the half.

The second half hasn't started well at all for Pat's Cats. Northeastern is outhustling them and getting every loose ball. They seem too big for the Tigers right now.

They're hanging on though. Just hit a 3 to pull within one with 6:30 to go.

Yea, I'm impressed with their effort tonight. Durant is just so awful it's almost funny to watch him and see "Durant" 35 on the back of the jersey. Manny Adako looks like Wilt Chamberlain out there.

Congrats to UMBC by the way, great win today.

Archived