CAA Basketball

YardBirds13

I know there are a couple people on here who are fans of CAA teams, might as well start this up.

I've been following JMU much more this year for two reasons 1- UVA stinks, and 2-JMU is finally beginning to turn things around under new coach Matt Brady.

Although, the last two road trips have been excrutiating.

Last week, we lost in OT at VCU, a game we really could have won.

Then, in the an absolute dagger, we lose to Hofstra in double overtime. Just an incredible game. Charles Jenkins is a monster, but Julius Wells went with him shot for shot. A crushing blow to our hopes of getting a bye in the first round of the CAA tournament.

Now I'm hoping we can beat VCU for the second year in a row in Harrisonburg, and then make some noise in the tourney.

The CAA doesn't have that outstanding Mid-Major At-Large team this year, but the Top 7 in this conference are just incredible with how much they beat each other up. We've played Hofstra twice and lost by a COMBINED 4 points.

Quarterfinal day in the CAA tournament should be one of the best days of basketball of the year.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JMU, huh? Thanks for Cavell Johnson and Ray Barbosa! :clap3:

Seriously though, best of luck to them under their new coach. It sounded like the old one was a real jerk.

Ray Ray was a cult hero in H-Burg before he left. We loved him and Cavell both down there, and things just didn't work out. I rooted hard for them both at UMBC and was glad to see them make the tournament last year. Have to say may UMBC rooting has gone downhill this season. ;)

And Matt Brady has been outstanding, from everything I've heard and read. It's a bit hard to judge it, since this is my first year being away from school since I got there, but obviously on the court he has made a big difference. Apparently he is a great guy as well.

As for Coach Keener, I always liked him personally. I got to know him a bit covering the team my Senior year (last season), and it really wasn't surprising when he was let go. He was just in over his head. Again, I loved his intensity and love of the game.

One of the best Dean Keener stories ever:

My sophomore year (2005-06 season), we were playing Northeastern at home. NU starred future NBA guard Jose Juan Barea at the time.

Anyways, it was a close game, and eventually it came down to about three seconds left and NU shooting at the basket where there aren't usually any students because the band was set up there (this was before JMU allowed students on both ends of the court). So, as the NU guy was walking to the line, Coach Keener starts jumping up and screaming at all the fans in our section (on the court, behind the opposite basket) to run to the other side, get on the bleachers on that side, and start jumping up and down to distract the shooter. It was one of the most absurd things I;ve ever been a part of. The NU coach didn't know what was going on, the players were confused, it was hilarious.

The guy ends up bricking both free throws, but we miss a 3 that would have won it.

But I'll never forget Keener jumping up and down, yelling at tthe student section to run across the court. It was hilarious, and I'm glad to have been a part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else go to Mason's game against Towson tonight?

What a game, Mason undefeated at home this year (first time ever at Patriot Center), 2nd in conference, never thought this was possible this year without Folarin Campbell and Will Thomas. There was an alley oop to Mike Morrison that left everyone speechless and going bonkers all at the same time.

Now, time to suit up for the CAA tourney and hopefully get to the final and win the automatic NCAA bid.

Anybody else go to Mason's game against Towson tonight?

What a game' date=' Mason undefeated at home this year (first time ever at Patriot Center), 2nd in conference, never thought this was possible this year without Folarin Campbell and Will Thomas. There was an alley oop to Mike Morrison that left everyone speechless and going bonkers all at the same time.

Now, time to suit up for the CAA tourney and hopefully get to the final and win the automatic NCAA bid.[/quote']

I did! It was the only game I made it to this year. Stupid work. Great, great Senior night. Coach L, did the right thing at the end to get the seniors off the court to an ovation.

Morrison's dunk was amazing, and he almost had a second one.

Even after losing the seniors, they should be in pretty good shape next year with Cornelius, Long, Pearson, Birdsong, and Morrison.

I did! It was the only game I made it to this year. Stupid work. Great, great Senior night. Coach L, did the right thing at the end to get the seniors off the court to an ovation.

Morrison's dunk was amazing, and he almost had a second one.

Even after losing the seniors, they should be in pretty good shape next year with Cornelius, Long, Pearson, Birdsong, and Morrison.

Here it is, just sick!, should of made espn top 10. Cam Long had a nice dunk as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxfS4pe7jGI&fmt=18

Tournament is set, it starts on Friday. (Although some people think we might as well just stop the tournament and let the BCS take over college basketball :rolleyes:)

Anyways, JMU plays Friday night in the first evening game against William & MAry, whom we should beat. Hopefully (should know later today or tomorrow) our Freshman PG Devon Moore should be back and ready to play.

If we win, we would get Mason in Round 2 on Saturday. Now THAT would be a great match-up for the Quarters!

Tournament is set, it starts on Friday. (Although some people think we might as well just stop the tournament and let the BCS take over college basketball :rolleyes:)

Anyways, JMU plays Friday night in the first evening game against William & MAry, whom we should beat. Hopefully (should know later today or tomorrow) our Freshman PG Devon Moore should be back and ready to play.

If we win, we would get Mason in Round 2 on Saturday. Now THAT would be a great match-up for the Quarters!

I'm torn. I went to undergrad at JMU. (I missed Lefty by one year), but I went to Grad school at GMU during their Final Four appearance. Since I still can get into Patriots games for free, I follow them closely. It's really nice to see JMU turn it around. They haven't danced since I was in high school.

Ray Ray was a cult hero in H-Burg before he left. We loved him and Cavell both down there, and things just didn't work out. I rooted hard for them both at UMBC and was glad to see them make the tournament last year. Have to say may UMBC rooting has gone downhill this season. ;)

Hey YardBirds, sorry I lost track of this thread for awhile, but I thought you might want to know if you didn't hear that Ray got drafted by the Bayamon team in the Puerto Rican basketball league... http://www.mcall.com/sports/basketball/all-barbosa.6788898feb19,0,7228663.story.

Here is the link to the CAA trny schedule

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=742371

Check out this deal!

UKROP'S FULL COURT FRENZY

TICKET PACKAGE - $30

A $50 VALUE - You will receive a ticket to the semifinal session and the final game, and for a limited time a free 16” pizza from Ukrop’s. Seats will be the best available in the second level.

3rd from the bottom

http://http://www.ticketmaster.com/search?DB_OEM_ID=8500&tm_link=tm_homeA_header_search&q=caa&search.x=23&search.y=12

Archived