Realistic Free Agent #3 Pitchers

ScGO's

16 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You're in the wrong thread. This is a FA discussion.

Also, by all reports the White Sox are unwilling to accept a "reasonable package".

How can you go "all in" for a one year bump with a FA pitcher?

You planning on signing Snell to a 1/40 deal?

Signing a "premium" free agent pitcher isn't a one year "all in" move.

17 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I personally don’t think he’s a difference maker and he would cost a ton (reportedly) in prospects which would reduced our chances in the future.  

If reasonable is Ortiz or Norby as a headliner, sure, he’d be a good Gibson innings eater upgrade.  Having him start a playoff game would give me heartburn.  This is, of course, assuming he rights the ship and isnt truly a one year wonder.  I don’t see anything to indicate that his 2022 is repeatable. 

Well he could either be great or ordinary. The price is just too freakin high

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

How can you go "all in" for a one year bump with a FA pitcher?

You planning on signing Snell to a 1/40 deal?

Signing a "premium" free agent pitcher isn't a one year "all in" move.

I have no idea what you're referencing and/or talking about. It's certainly not related to anything that I posted. 

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I won’t argue that either and am in agreement some pieces (mainly Mateo & Urias ) need to be moved.  There is also a lot to be said for high-end depth that pushes the people ahead of them and leaves no room for complacency.  Iron sharpens iron as they say.  I’d trade Urias, Mateo, Mountcastle, and O’Hearn in a heartbeat.  I also think we have enough depth, with even more talent in the low minors, that Ortiz & Norby could be moved.  Elias is in a fortunate position to where he can really do anything he wants….except spend big on FA 😂

Iron is cheap.

I'd rather have bronze.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I have no idea what you're referencing and/or talking about. It's certainly not related to anything that I posted. 

The post of mine you had issue with was responding to someone who was pretty obviously not talking about a FA signing, since a FA signing isn't about going all in for a single season.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The post of mine you had issue with was responding to someone who was pretty obviously not talking about a FA signing, since a FA signing isn't about going all in for a single season.

I didn't read his post that way at all. I read it as him saying going all  would be signing a big FA to long term deal (like Snell) then regretting it after this season since he was specifically responding to my post about Snell. 

Back to realistic #3s.  Paxton would be a realistic #3 signing.  34 y/o with previous success coming back from injury.  His stuff last year didn’t look bad.  He keeps the ball on the ground and gets his fair share of Ks.  

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Back to realistic #3s.  Paxton would be a realistic #3 signing.  34 y/o with previous success coming back from injury.  His stuff last year didn’t look bad.  He keeps the ball on the ground and gets his fair share of Ks.  

His WHIP conerns me. I think I'd actually prefer Ryu. 

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I didn't read his post that way at all. I read it as him saying going all  would be signing a big FA to long term deal (like Snell) then regretting it after this season since he was specifically responding to my post about Snell. 

How does signing Snell force a one year window?

It doesn't.

The only thing that might do that is trading for an expiring contract.

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

His WHIP conerns me. I think I'd actually prefer Ryu. 

I like the strike outs of Paxton.  I wouldn’t hate Ryu (or either) so long as they cut bait asap if they don’t work out.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/james-paxton-572020?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/hyun-jin-ryu-547943?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

We aren’t taking about chopped liver here. 

Edited by emmett16

14 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Sorry I adamantly disagree. 4.68 FIP….100 innings last year …. 22 innings in the previous 3 years. And guy want him over keeping Gibson 🤮

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How does signing Snell force a one year window?

It doesn't.

The only thing that might do that is trading for an expiring contract.

I think one could argue that signing Snell would hamper their chances to extend current players or sign other future FAs, thus narrowing the window.   Should it? Maybe not, but we are talking about the O’s.  I’d be afraid of worst case scenario of signing Snell to a mega deal, him getting injured, and all our homegrown talent walking because we spent big on that one player.  Maybe we should be able to spend boku bucks on talent year after year, but history tells me that isn’t going to happen. Baltimore isn’t a very appealing FA destination, our best chance would be find, develop, and extend if we are gonna go the spend route vs. the find, develop, and trade expensive contract route. 

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Sorry I adamantly disagree. 4.68 FIP….100 innings last year …. 22 innings in the previous 3 years. And guy want him over keeping Gibson 🤮

He gave up a lot of HR last year.  It was his first year pitching after TJ in 2021.  It’s a gamble.  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

I think one could argue that signing Snell would hamper their chances to extend current players or sign other future FAs, thus narrowing the window.   Should it? Maybe not, but we are talking about the O’s.  I’d be afraid of worst case scenario of signing Snell to a mega deal, him getting injured, and all our homegrown talent walking because we spent big on that one player.  Maybe we should be able to spend boku bucks on talent year after year, but history tells me that isn’t going to happen. Baltimore isn’t a very appealing FA destination, our best chance would be find, develop, and extend if we are gonna go the spend route vs. the find, develop, and trade expensive contract route. 

Hey guys, they signed a free agent!  Let's show 'em how much we dislike it by signing big free agent contracts with teams that aren't them!

I just don't get the logic.

If I were a member of a sports team I'd be stoked they brought somebody in during the offseason in order to improve the team.

If I were an Oriole I'd be stoked that ownership authorized them to spend the money.

I don't want to sign a long term deal with a team that only has the money to sign me.

Oh, I can sign a ten year deal here and watch all of my teammates get traded away when they get expensive?  Cool.  That sounds like a good career choice.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hey guys, they signed a free agent!  Let's show 'em how much we dislike it by signing big free agent contracts with teams that aren't them!

I just don't get the logic.

If I were a member of a sports team I'd be stoked they brought somebody in during the offseason in order to improve the team.

If I were an Oriole I'd be stoked that ownership authorized them to spend the money.

I don't want to sign a long term deal with a team that only has the money to sign me.

Oh, I can sign a ten year deal here and watch all of my teammates get traded away when they get expensive?  Cool.  That sounds like a good career choice.

Are we talking about the same team?  I’ve been discussing The Baltimore Orioles.  

But, hey.  Maybe the sun will rise on the West tomorrow, we sign Snell, extend Adley & Gunnar, trade for Burnes and extend him.   Thats what’s I’d do.