Boog Powell's hot and cold years

Just Regular

For a while, Freddie Freeman has been my modern player representing who I feel like Boog on a good year kind of was to his era, though as with many of the players from that pitcher's era his counting stats don't really pop.    Freeman I guess surpasses Boog because he has the good year every year.

I just had another Boog flashed special moment looking at various Orioles seasons by players Age 22 and down.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=c%2C4%2C6%2C11%2C12%2C13%2C21%2C-1%2C34%2C35%2C40%2C41%2C-1%2C23%2C37%2C38%2C50%2C317%2C61%2C-1%2C111%2C-1%2C203%2C199%2C58%2C3&ind=1&team=2&startdate=&enddate=&season1=1954&season=2023&v_cr=202301&age=14&age=22&sortcol=22&sortdir=default&pagenum=1

Boog after those first couple years probably seemed primed to run at something like Jim Thome's 600 home runs, but he had some bad years in his prime, and age 33 was his last solid season.    I've heard some tell the story of a Frank 1967 injury damaging the first championship defense attempt early, but Boog's falling of 4.5 WAR couldn't have helped.     It probably felt as strange as if Adley were to have a 0 WAR season now.

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2024 at 6:07 PM, Just Regular said:

I've heard some tell the story of a Frank 1967 injury damaging the first championship defense attempt early, but Boog's falling of 4.5 WAR couldn't have helped.     It probably felt as strange as if Adley were to have a 0 WAR season now.

There were many things that went wrong in 1967.  Besides what you mentioned, Palmer missed most of the year, McNally missed a bunch of starts and pitched poorly, and Steve Barber missed half the season.  Also, the team underperformed its Pythag by a whopping 12 games!   

• 2 months later...