2024 Spring Breakout RECAP

cboemmeljr

Was at the game. Hope Willems is OK. Sat fairly far down the 3rd base line and it was pretty loud when the pitch hit him. Other things I took away:

-Tavera replaced EBJ in CF. Looked good in the field defensively. Took a tough called 3rd strike after working the count nicely to full in his only AB. He seems to be filing out physically (in a good way)  

-Trace Bright was throwing A LOT of strikes and got plenty of swing and misses from the Pirates batters

-Povich was up and down. Very inconsistent. Typical for him I guess you could say. You can see the talent and ability to pitch. He’s got to improve his command/control if he wants to take it to the next level  

-OFer Thomas Sosa is a physical specimen. Will be following him closely this year. Assuming he starts at Delmarva. His internet pages list him at 6’ 1” and 160lbs. I’d estimate it’s more like 6’ 2 or 3” 200-210ish. Just turned 19 years old. 

-Billy Cook is a guy that’s really easy to root for. Was able to talk with him for a couple minutes post game. He could not be any nicer. Asked him about his 20-30 season last year and he said let’s go for 30-30. 

-Our bats were silenced today. Skenes was filthy. EBJ was strike 1, 2 and 3…and go have a seat on the pine leading off the game. Pirates pitcher Hunter Barco (teammates with Fabian at FL) stood out to me too. I saw 98 from the lefty. Also, for those who care about such things, pretty sure I saw Skenes girlfriend Livvy Dunne there. 

Overall it was a great experience. I hope MLB keeps doing it and expands/enhances it. There was an autograph area setup for an hour pre game where 6 players at a time from each prospect team signed (3 groups of 6 for each team, so a total of 18 players/team). The wait line for the Orioles as twice as long as the Pirates - and this game was in Bradenton at Pirate City. I did enjoy the ballpark. First time visiting it. The boardwalk that goes around the outfield is cool as is the plaza area that wraps from home plate all the way down the RF line out to the PIT clubhouse. Parking and traffic is kind’ve a cluster but this is a park you should visit if you’re going to see the Os in Sarasota. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news. Creed is back in the lineup at Twin Lakes today against the Pirates A/AA guys

He said it was a 98mph fastball just below the elbow, kind of forearm-ish. Pretty heavily taped up. 

Edited by scarey1999
Additional info
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Good news. Creed is back in the lineup at Twin Lakes today against the Pirates A/AA guys

He said it was a 98mph fastball just below the elbow, kind of forearm-ish. Pretty heavily taped up. 

here is video.   just have to get to the third pitch of sequence.  Appears to be Left Inside Forearm.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 12:24 AM, scarey1999 said:

-OFer Thomas Sosa is a physical specimen. Will be following him closely this year. Assuming he starts at Delmarva. His internet pages list him at 6’ 1” and 160lbs. I’d estimate it’s more like 6’ 2 or 3” 200-210ish. Just turned 19 years old. 

From his scouting report that I did at the end of last season.

"Listed at 6-1, 160 pounds by most publications, Sosa showed up this season at 6-4, 190 and hasn't even completely filled out yet and he's already putting up some of the best exit velocities in the entire Florida Complex League. "

• Upvote 3