Was Garrett Crochet a good pick?

It didn't happen last year with EBJ but as Elias rounds out these rosters I've been anticipating a Gregg Olson like pick somewhere along the way.

Garrett Crochet is perhaps the foremost example of a Club doing this move the past decade.

He had a 4.64 ERA in college but few cared because of the pitch attributes.    He was born in 1999 but maybe got more than most ballplayers out of 2020 as he pitched in college and the MLB playoffs in the same year.

He had TJ April 2022 at about age 22.8 as occurs for most who throw as hard as he does sometime during young adulthood.

Tomorrow with 50 odd pitches, he will surpass 1000 game pitches in a pro season for the first time in his career a few weeks shy of his 25th birthday.

He's MLB's only LH SP averaging 97 on the heater so far this year (sorry, Cole Ragans), but if his Club has nothing to play for it feels possible he could be a workload management shutdown before the All-Star break.

What team is Crochet on?  I'm in favor of Elias using a high round pick on a reliever.  Someone who can be dominant right away and maybe even pitch in the playoffs this year.  It has happened many times.  At the very least be very to help with playoff push next year.  I think spending a 3rd or even 2nd round pick on a dominant reliever is a good use of a draft pick. 

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What team is Crochet on?  I'm in favor of Elias using a high round pick on a reliever.  Someone who can be dominant right away and maybe even pitch in the playoffs this year.  It has happened many times.  At the very least be very to help with playoff push next year.  I think spending a 3rd or even 2nd round pick on a dominant reliever is a good use of a draft pick. 

It has happened many times?  Name three.

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Chris Sale, Chad Cordero, Andrew Miller are 3. 

I’ll give you the first two.   Not even close on Andrew Miller.   You’re going back 15-20 years.   With so many I thought you’d come up with some recent ones.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Sale and miller were not 

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Both miller and sale were for sure college starters. Sale was moved to the pen because he could help the major league team right away but was then moved back to starter. He was not drafted as a reliever. Miller was also drafted as a starter and didn’t cut it so was converted. 

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

It didn't happen last year with EBJ but as Elias rounds out these rosters I've been anticipating a Gregg Olson like pick somewhere along the way.

Garrett Crochet is perhaps the foremost example of a Club doing this move the past decade.

He had a 4.64 ERA in college but few cared because of the pitch attributes.    He was born in 1999 but maybe got more than most ballplayers out of 2020 as he pitched in college and the MLB playoffs in the same year.

He had TJ April 2022 at about age 22.8 as occurs for most who throw as hard as he does sometime during young adulthood.

Tomorrow with 50 odd pitches, he will surpass 1000 game pitches in a pro season for the first time in his career a few weeks shy of his 25th birthday.

He's MLB's only LH SP averaging 97 on the heater so far this year (sorry, Cole Ragans), but if his Club has nothing to play for it feels possible he could be a workload management shutdown before the All-Star break.

I’m a bit confused. Is this specifically about drafting a reliever, or drafting a reliever and coaverting them? 

we did draft teddy sharkey last year who was projected to be a relatively quick mover due to his top level college closer qualities. But he just had surgery which put a damper on that. 

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’ll give you the first two.   Not even close on Andrew Miller.   You’re going back 15-20 years.   With so many I thought you’d come up with some recent ones.

Crochet that was the subject of this article.  There is usually about one a year. 

10 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Sale and miller were not 

Both miller and sale were for sure college starters. Sale was moved to the pen because he could help the major league team right away but was then moved back to starter. He was not drafted as a reliever. Miller was also drafted as a starter and didn’t cut it so was converted. 

I’m a bit confused. Is this specifically about drafting a reliever, or drafting a reliever and coaverting them? 

we did draft teddy sharkey last year who was projected to be a relatively quick mover due to his top level college closer qualities. But he just had surgery which put a damper on that. 

Sale and Miller both pitched in the majors the year they were drafted.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

But they were drafted as starters. Whereas Gregg Olson was drafted high as a reliever and utilized solely as a reliever. Is not a valid comparison. Drafting a starter with a bunch of innings on his arm from college and letting him fill in in the bullpen down the stretch is not the same as drafting a reliever in a top round. 

could we theoretically draft Brecht or whatever his name is out of Iowa, throw him in the pen down the stretch then have him start in the minors to develop as a starter? You could, but you’d have to carry him on your 40 man and start using his options right away. 

32 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

What about the domination?   Wasn’t that part of it?   Andrew Miller certainly did not.

30 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

But they were drafted as starters. Whereas Gregg Olson was drafted high as a reliever and utilized solely as a reliever. Is not a valid comparison. Drafting a starter with a bunch of innings on his arm from college and letting him fill in in the bullpen down the stretch is not the same as drafting a reliever in a top round. 

could we theoretically draft Brecht or whatever his name is out of Iowa, throw him in the pen down the stretch then have him start in the minors to develop as a starter? You could, but you’d have to carry him on your 40 man and start using his options right away. 

Worked for Sale but I don’t think Brecht has the control that Sale did.   Hypothetically, Brecht would start in the minors as a reliever after the draft and if he dominated you could call him up 8/31.   Not worried about building innings up in the minors.  Look at Sale.  Look at Crochet.  Look at Jordan Hicks, Seth Lugo, and other relievers who went from the bullpen to starting.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Worked for Sale but I don’t think Brecht has the control that Sale did.   Hypothetically, Brecht would start in the minors as a reliever after the draft and if he dominated you could call him up 8/31.   Not worried about building innings up in the minors.  Look at Sale.  Look at Crochet.  Look at Jordan Hicks, Seth Lugo, and other relievers who went from the bullpen to starting.

I’m much more worried Brecht will need a lot of coaching and development to get to a point where he can throw enough strikes to be a major league starter. So I don’t want to start his clock for a few innings of relief. 

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He’s starting against the O’s tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

I’m much more worried Brecht will need a lot of coaching and development to get to a point where he can throw enough strikes to be a major league starter. So I don’t want to start his clock for a few innings of relief. 

Yeah, but I would draft Brecht with the idea that he’s a reliever because that’s the most likely outcome.  If he makes the majors as a reliever and gets to the point that his control is good enough to start so be it.  I’d be happy with multiple years of a dominant reliever.   I think that’s a pretty good outcome for #22 but he probably won’t be there.  We’ll see.