DSL Orioles 2024

RZNJ

2 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Did your buddy Luna get slighted?

He would have been a solid choice.  22.1 IP, 2.01 ERA, 1.164 WHIP, 9.3 K/9, 1.9 K/BB.  Similar numbers to Tejada and he’s almost a full two years younger.   But I’d have gone with Morfe.  

On 7/18/2024 at 5:28 PM, Frobby said:

16-year old Stiven Martinez is making a move lately.  Today he went 3 for 4 with a triple and 2 RBI, raising his slash line to .305/.431/.451.   So far in July he’s at .366/.481/.512.  Martinez doesn’t turn 17 until August 8.  

Three run bomb for Martinez today, OPS to .911.  

• Upvote 2

On 7/19/2024 at 3:59 PM, Frobby said:

Latest stats on our three all stars:

Elvin Garcia .333/.470/.567, 1 HR, 20 RBI in 29 games

Jordan Sanchez .340/.449/.631, 5 HR, 30 RBI in 30 games 

Henry Tejada 18.0 IP, 2.00 ERA, 1.111 WHIP, 8.0 K/9, 2.0 K/BB

Can’t really argue with the two position players, but if we were going to send one pitcher I’d have chosen Keeler Morfe (16.0 IP, 1.69 ERA, 0.813 WHIP, 16.3 K/9, 5.8 K/BB).

They seem to be babying Morfe a bit. The command must not be very good with the 5.8 BB/9, but he's clearly got some stuff or velocity to work with due to the K/9. I agree though, Morfe is the best pitching prospects down there and his numbers were better.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

They seem to be babying Morfe a bit. The command must not be very good with the 5.8 BB/9, but he's clearly got some stuff or velocity to work with due to the K/9. I agree though, Morfe is the best pitching prospects down there and his numbers were better.

Morfe’s K/BB is 5.8 but his BB/9 is 2.81.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My man Luna with 4 shutout innings today, 2 hits, 2 walks, 6 K’s.  His ERA is now 1.71 in 26.1 IP.

Luna, Estaban Mejia are both 17.  Morfe (crossed fingers) hasn’t pitched since the 6th is 18.   A few other interesting arms.  I’d say this is the best group, on paper, of pitching prospects we’ve had down there.

Add in a bunch of 16-18 yo hitters and this is the deepest group we’ve had and the records reflect that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warehouse said:

Morfe’s K/BB is 5.8 but his BB/9 is 2.81.

That is what I get for looking at Frobby's weird combination of stats by putting K/BB after K/9 instead of the commonly used BB/9. :D

Of course, as always, take these stats with a giant grain of salt. we've seen guys put up good stats in the DSL only to absolutely crap the bed in the states in the FCL or usually, in Delmarva where you really can start determining who the prospects are out of the group.

They are fine to follow, and the good ones will be in the 75 list because a prospect with no true evaluation marks and good stats is always better than a guy you've evaluated at higher levels and know they are not going to be anything but an up/down guy at best.

I will say that it's nice to see Stiven Martinez doing well. The Orioles have not had a great record of their high bonus guys getting off to good starts. Martinez though has the frame to drool over at 16-years old, so if he can pick up spin at higher levels, I think that power has a chance to develop as he gets older.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Conway12 said:

@Frobby some notes on your boy

Love the 12-6 type curve over the sweeper.  Looks good.   Hopefully, the 89-92 becomes 92-95, or better, as he gets experience and stronger.

So we have Luna, Mejia, and Espinosa, all 17, starting and doing well.

Some interesting 18-19 like Morfe, Belasco, and Rasquin.

And apparently some projects that have good arms and no control.

Edited by RZNJ

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Love the 12-6 type curve over the sweeper.  Looks good.   Hopefully, the 89-92 becomes 92-95, or better, as he gets experience and stronger.

So we have Luna, Mejia, and Espinosa, all 17, starting and doing well.

Some interesting 18-19 like Morfe, Belasco, and Rasquin.

And apparently some projects that have good arms and no control.

At least there are interesting names to follow. Morao and Palacios were te two highlighted to watch this year in the FCL and they both have disappointed to an extent. Both had steep increases of BB/9 in the FCL from their DSL numbers. Not saying to discount them yet, but it would have been nice to see them take a step forward in the FCL and challenge for Delmarva time. 

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

At least there are interesting names to follow. Morao and Palacios were te two highlighted to watch this year in the FCL and they both have disappointed to an extent. Both had steep increases of BB/9 in the FCL from their DSL numbers. Not saying to discount them yet, but it would have been nice to see them take a step forward in the FCL and challenge for Delmarva time. 

Sure, there’s a lot of patience required because a lot of these DSL guys are frustrating, making that jump to FCL, and then Delmarva with great difficulty.   

22 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I do like the FB and CB.  Not convinced on the sweeper.  

Thanks @Conway12for sharing.  first time I've seen video on him i think.