Heading down to Sarasota on Tuesday morning

Tony-OH

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be interesting to talk to some locals there (except for Joe the Barista) and find out what the locals think of the Orioles moving ST there.

It would be nice to get some quotes too from some of the Orioles "B" arms, like Berken, Britton, Bundy, Beato, Bascom and Butler to see how they are doing.

I would like you to get a look at Rowell, Snyder and Erbe. I think all of these guys are at an important point in their careers. Rowell needs to hit a ton to be a corner outfielder in the majors. Snyder has to pick up a little more power and prove he can play defence. Erbe needs to bring the homeruns down some and get a little sharper.

I am very eager for them to show improvement.

How is Hoes looking defensively? What's the buzz on some of our second line of pitchers beyond the Big 3 and Bergesen, such as Erbe, Britton, Hernandez, Bundy and Drake?

I, too, am interested in Miclat.

Yes; Hoes, Bundy and Drake for me as well.

If there is anything in particular you are wondering about ask in this thread and I'll see what I can dig up over the next three days in Sarasota.

Which pitchers are likely to be on staff in Bowie?

Which 4 or 5 are likely to be the startering pitchers in Bowie?

Tony- How about your take on the field condition situation? Doc says there's nothing wrong, Melewski says teams don't want to play on it.

Nothing is really "wrong." Perhaps a little dip between 2nd and 3rd in the infield on Field 1. However, the other teams are playing on near major-league diamonds and the drought at Sarasota has been rough on the grass. However, it is still better than many SALLY league diamonds.

A couple of the players did tell me that the other teams don't want to come to Twin Lakes. When I saw the minor leagiue Quadraplex at Port Charolotte, it looked almost major league quality for ALL fields. At first they reminded me of Bowie's field, but as the games wore on, they looked even better in the way they played. The "facilities" are much more modern as well.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• We’re getting our roster snug for the Yankees series. Matchups. This is what winning over 162 looks like. McKenna will start in CF the game that Cortes pitches. We’re going to trot out our best L/R lineups and with defense. 
    • As if Kyle Bradish's perhaps final tune-up wasn't enough. IRL I'd guess the org had Hyde tell him on the way back from California so he had all yesterday to do whatever he needed to do.
    • The Roberto Alomar 1B slide always thought was pretty cool. I'm indifferent to headfirst slides now that they have the mitt gloves. 
    • I would have to know the transmission chain for each network and whether satellites were involved and then I would have to consult an actual broadcast engineer to fill in the (no doubt significant) holes so I'm not the person to lead you really deeply into the weeds.  But I don't think that matters for your purposes.  You're correct that 30 frames or 60 fields per second is the standard for US television, so just go with your established workflow.  
    • I dont think anyone dislikes him personally.  I just think we have seen him for four years and we know who he is.  He is a dead end.  There is no upside.  And we want to see the guys who might be stars.  I think its that simple.
    • Nothing like a nice, comfortable slide into what looks like astro-turf
    • Oh, yea. Grove went 12-2, 25-10, 18-8, 27-10, and 26-6 for the Orioles. Then after a little rookie hiccup with the A's kept pitching exactly as well as he had with the O's. Grove officially won 300 MLB games, but the reality is he won 408 high-level baseball games, plus three in Class D ball. The '29-31 Yanks had Ruth and Gehrig in their primes, two of arguably the 10 best players ever. Plus HOFers Bill Dickey, Tony Lazzeri, Leo Durocher, Earle Combs, Waite Hoyt, and Herb Pennock. And in 1929 they finished 18(!) games behind the A's. 16 back in '30, and 13.5 in '31. Mack also bought Max Bishop from the O's where he'd been a regular for six years. And while he wasn't quite a HOFer he was a great table-setter, walking 100+ times eight straight years. Joe Boley was the O's shortstop for the entirety of the 7-year IL Championship run, then Mack purchased him and he was the A's shortstop on three pennant winners. Oh, and starter George Earnshaw. He won 20+ games for the O's twice, and three times for the A's. I'm sure it killed Jack Dunn to sell those guys, but he made a lot of cash. And he could see the writing on the wall. The other IL owners were tired of getting their butts handed to them by the Orioles, so they started selling out, becoming full-time affiliates. Dunn could hold that off only so long. I hope the NPB keeps their independence. The worst thing, in my opinion, would be MLB working out more formal agreements to cement foreign leagues into inferior or affiliated status. I'd much rather see NPB, KBO, CBP grow into more competitive organizations that tempt players from around the world to sign there instead of with MLB. A little competition would do the Majors good.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now