5 year payroll plan to see how much can be added.

wildcard

I am sure the O's are looking at the next 5 years of their payroll and competitiveness.   Can't spend as much as the big boys but must spend enough to win the WS.  Here's my take what Elias is looking at.

Salary in millions. Projections for 2025 from Cots Contracts.

25            26           27           28       29

Gunnar SS                  .75              7            14            21       FA

Westy  3B/LF              .75              .75            6            12        18

Cowser   LF               .75               .75            5            10        15

Kjerstad RF               .74               .75          .75            5         10

Holliday 2B/SS          .74               .75          .75            5         10

Mayo  1B                  .35               .75          .75            .75       5

Adley    C/DH              6                12           18            FA

Basallo   C/1B/DH      -                .74          .75           .75         5

Mullins    CF              8                 FA

Bradfield. CF             -                .74           .74           .74         4

Mounty 1B/DH          6.2           Traded next off season

O'Hearn   DH/1B        6              Traded in July

Mateo   SS/2B/CF    3.3             FA

Urias   3B/2B            3              3.5            FA

McCann  C                4               FA

Rivera 3B/1B/DH       1.5           1.7              2              FA

Liv Soto IF                   .25          .74          .75             .75          1.5

Elfin        SP               18             20             20           FA    signed 2/40

GRod    SP                  .75            5             10            15               FA

Kremer  SP                3                5             9            FA

Suarez   SP/RP         .75             4              7            9                 FA

Povich.  SP               .74            .75          .75           4                   8

Bradish  SP                1.6            3              6            FA

Wells   SP                   2               4            FA

Bautista   RP               1                6            12           FA

G Soto      RP            4.5             FA

Cano   RP                 .75                3             5             7              FA

Coulombe RP           4                 FA

Dominguez. RP         8                 FA

Perez RP                  2.2              3.5          FA

Webb     RP               1.5               3             FA

Akin       RP               1.25              3             FA

Bowman  RP             1.1               FA

Rogers SP/RP            2.5              3.5           FA

McDermott  SP/RP    .4               .74           .75          .75         2

Young     SP/RP         .2               .74           .75          .75         1.5

Totals (36 players)   96.57       103.15.      120.74       92.5      80

Sure looks like there is room for 35m a year contract.  6/210 for Burnes.

I think the offense needs a change in strategy to get RISP to score.   That is probably the most important addition that can be made for next season's offense.

Edited by wildcard

The beauty of having young, talented, cheap players is that you can spend strategically while still keeping an eye on sustainablilty.  I think the O's only need a couple of expensive multi-year FA's for 2025 while still being able to factor in raises over the next 3-4 years.

One 35m contract? How about 2.

170m payroll would have been 16th in MLB in 2024. We should be closer to 12th or so around 190m IMO, but let's just try to stick to 16th so no one complains about how we can't afford it. 

But this fanbase has been so conditioned to think 100m is the "ceiling" for so long, I wonder if people realize how much money is being spent these days. 

Rubenstein is about to put up or he better shut up. Quotes for the media are great, but they don't win championships. And you allegedly, want to win a championship. You have said it 14 times, so now go do something about it. 

11 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

One 35m contract? How about 2.

170m payroll would have been 16th in MLB in 2024. We should be closer to 12th or so around 190m IMO, but let's just try to stick to 16th so no one complains about how we can't afford it. 

But this fanbase has been so conditioned to think 100m is the "ceiling" for so long, I wonder if people realize how much money is being spent these days. 

Rubenstein is about to put up or he better shut up. Quotes for the media are great, but they don't win championships. And you allegedly, want to win a championship. You have said it 14 times, so now go do something about it. 

It's clear (to me at least) that $100 million actually was the ceiling for OD 2024, but that had more to do with the team about to be sold than anything else. 

I don't know where you got your 2024 payroll numbers, but PA approved the 10th highest MLB payroll prior to OD 2017 after a very competitive 2016.  What do your number say the equivalent to 10th would have been in 2024?  Around $190-200 million?  However much it is, it's probably unneeded next season given how good the cheap core is.  I'd prefer Elias and Rubenstein take the long view overall, but I agree that it's time to start acting like the team is worth investing in.

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

We're gonna find out if it was Angelos or Elias that didn't want to spend.

IMO, Elias didn't get this job by telling him about the exorbitant amount of money he planned on spending.  

Agreed, I think people are going to be surprised when they realize Angelos is not the only one who doesn’t like to spend. 

• Upvote 1